Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone regret their surgery?

All you have to do is Google the adverse reaction rates in IV administered Cyclizine. I would put a link here but there are so many, choosing one would take forever. It makes shocking reading. I have registered a yellow card for this med officially. It should be administered with extreme care direct into a cannula for the first time. I could not speak, walk, read or write for nearly 24 hours. I could not make words in the right order and suffered stammering and spasms for two weeks. Clearly, the administering ward sister has had problems because the conversation about praying before she administers it and how many problems they have is not something I made up. Two doctors thought that I had had a near fatal stroke during the first six hours.

I explained why I won't put

in a formal complaint and as you read all my posts, you will know that. I have spoken to PALs about this matter and their advice was exactly as I said, I am still under these people's care for another two years, making a formal complaint at this point would achieve nothing good for me.

It is people who bring lawsuits that will sink the NHS, not me pointing out truths about my WLS experience.

Because you work for the NHS, you won't like what I am saying, obviously.

IF my experience is rare, and not common, then how do you explain all of my other bariatric friends?

My GP refused to prescribe liquid meds, my friend's GP's refused to prescribe liquid meds. My bariatric team said it was a common problem. You were lucky.

According to these forums, the medication Ursodiol, Actigall, URSO etc can be prescribed (and is prescribed for six months after surgery for some) after WLS to try and protect the gallbladder.

I am not frustrated, I am being honest.

As I said, they are your employer, so you are biased.

Anyone that wants WLS on the NHS will make up their own minds.

But they might ask better questions, check if they are allergic to cyclizine, check out the care plan for their gallbladder, put in a plan for several re admissions to the hospital, not rely on Protein shakes etc and make a plan B.

And I stand by my statement that the national incidence of mortality due to malnutrition and complications of WLS should be looked into by everyone considering this.

Maybe the bariatric team, ward system, surgical team and hospital in your area is a centre of excellence. Mine clearly is not.

Today I rang my bariatric team in agony with my 4th day of abdominal cramps, spasms and diarrhea. When I was asked why I was still on fluids, I reminded them that they told me to stay on them until further notice in case my gallbladder was a problem. They forgot. They asked if I was still taking lansoprazole. I said no because my GP had not put that on repeat. Apparently, they had not read the discharge letter properly.

Then they tell me that because there is no team meeting for a few weeks (holidays you see), the results of my ultrasound won't be available for a decision on my gallbladder. However, I do have a significant cyst on my kidney. That information (what size? Inside, outside, treatment plan etc) will also have to wait.

So what do I tell my GP tomorrow so she can help me effectively? Why is there not a better aftercare program?

Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on all of us who have had complications rather than to continue with further surgeries?

How much NHS money is being wasted in repeat admissions etc?

I know that you work for the NHS. And that you are happy with your level of care. And that's great!

But that isn't the main reason I (and my friends) regret my surgery. It was not the right decision for me.

My medical issues and disability have been made worse by having this done.

My friend with the abscess on her spleen and Fluid on her lungs actually worked on the ward where WLS patients recover. For the NHS. She may not be able to work again for many months. she tells me that she doesn't know if she or her family will ever get over what happened to her.

So this isn't just me being "frustrated and upset".

As you and I don't agree, perhaps you should simply contact me privately in future.

The OP asked "Does anyone regret their surgery". I do.

And I will continue to support my position.

I am only urging people to make sure that they are giving informed consent.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@GinaCampbell What a nightmare for you and your friends. I can absolutely understand your frustrations, and agree that the booklet you mention should've been given first.

I'm in the US and self-pay, so the idea of complications is pretty terrifying, since I have to cover them myself. I already have irritable bowel syndrome, and a lot of foods I can't eat, so that's another concern... that it will make it worse. I've heard about lactose intolerance issues post-op and since I love milk and yogurt, that is also a concern.

I nearly died due to my gallbladder issues, and it was removed almost 6 years ago, so I don't have to worry about that. I was aware of that risk, however.

Your story is one of the reasons that I, personally, am opposed to WLS being done on smaller people who don't have any health problems. Because I think that it just invites the risk of too many permanent side effects that people could've avoided. But then I hold the unpopular opinions that fat doesn't automatically equal unhealthy anymore than thin automatically equals healthy. I believe you can be fat, athletic, happy and healthy. I believe you can be thin and terribly unhealthy, and no one ever knows because you "look healthy."

I have fibromyalgia and I'm far heavier than you and your friends were. I have a hard time getting adequate medical care/tests and while I think that's crap, and that people shouldn't have to resort to measures as drastic as WLS in order to get proper care, we live in this world, not the one I think we should live in.

Given my mobility issues, exercise is very hard for me. I have no idea if surgery will make that better or not. I'm not naive enough to believe it's going to "cure" anything. I can only hope MAYBE it helps, and MAYBE I can get some improvement.

Thank you for sharing your story and being so honest. I feel like the people who have experiences like yours are shunned on most WLS forums, and viewed as being overly negative. But your experience is valuable in helping people make truly informed decisions.

Thank you! I want everyone to do what is right for them and they can't do that if they aren't given adequate information.

I too hoped that I would get some relief from fibro, and was told that I would never lose weight because of fibro so this was my best option. I am more housebound and bedridden now than before.

I know that people don't want to hear me say that this was a bad idea for me and my friends.

I understand that people want to hear the great parts.

Do they think that I want to suffer? Be housebound and sick?

I simply want everyone to be armed with the right questions and to give themselves the best chance for success.

You are right, none of us really were heavy enough to alter ourselves for life simply to lose weight.

My weight loss has occurred through illness, not from the vsg.

Thank you for seeing what my point is. If people here want to shun me, I can live with that. Especially if it means one person asks a question that helps them give informed consent.

This isn't about bashing the NHS. I could have had the perfect surgery and recovery and I would still regret having done this to myself.

No regrets. I have lost 170 pounds, found a love of running, and get to share my story with others. My life doesn't revolve around food. I don't feel sorry for myself. I like what I see in the mirror. I am not ashamed of myself. I like going to the doctor now and hearing, "You are in great physical health". I eat pizza as well, but not usually the crust. In fact, I eat whatever I want now. I choose to eat healthy, but occasionally will indulge.

"There are good foods and bad foods after wls, just like before. And just like before, your diet should consist of 90% good foods."

Yeah, see. This sort of mentality is a MAJOR problem for me. I don't look at food in a moral context. It's too triggering.

Good - what the Nut recommends

Bad - what you reach for after a few drinks

@@Cape Crooner as a reminder, in most cases surgeons only have to count complications for the first 30 days. After that, it isn't considered a complication of the surgery, even if it would clearly not have happened without the surgery.

Sorry, I don't buy it. WLS is a multi-billion dollar industry in a country's where shyster lawyers like John Edwards convinced a jury that MS was the result of not enough c-sections.

If WLS wasn't as safe as a root canal over the long haul, we'd be hearing about it on 60 Minutes, let alone every forum we follow.

@@GinaCampbell

I am certainly not discounting your experiences or those of your friends (or anyone else for that matter!). I've never felt that these forums have "shunned" those who have had complications nor do I think those who have hold "unpopular opinions".

What happened to you happened to you (you being general plural) good OR bad and I'm sorry you've (specific) had such an experience. I had many complications of my own and my post was simply telling you how **I** dealt with them. I certainly hope that yours are resolved sooner rather than later.

Best wishes.

@@Cape Crooner as a reminder, in most cases surgeons only have to count complications for the first 30 days. After that, it isn't considered a complication of the surgery, even if it would clearly not have happened without the surgery.

Sorry, I don't buy it. WLS is a multi-billion dollar industry in a country's where shyster lawyers like John Edwards convinced a jury that MS was the result of not enough c-sections.

If WLS wasn't as safe as a root canal over the long haul, we'd be hearing about it on 60 Minutes, let alone every forum we follow.

Do a google search. You can find plenty of lawsuits related to WLS, as well as plenty of lawyers who specialize in it.

ANY surgery can kill or cause serious damage after that 30 day window. You don't hear about it because surgeons aren't required by law to count it as a direct result of surgery. My grandmother just died due to complications of a surgery she had 20 years earlier. Now, that surgery was to remove precancerous polyps. Without that surgery, she'd likely have died far sooner. But the surgery still resulted in the scar tissue that caused the bowl obstruction that caused sepsis and ultimately resulted in her death.

This isn't about bashing WLS specifically. I have issues with ANY surgery not having to go beyond the first 30 days in terms of counting the side effects and dangers. And especially elective surgeries, which, no matter how you may personally feel about your WLS experiences, WLS very much IS.

Each one of us attended a two year program where we lost weight if we could naturally, went to meetings, seminars, bariatric team discussions etc. We had exhaustive tests and each were either given the sleeve or bypass. My friend who had bypass was in a program that offered Excess skin removal after year one. They moved the goalposts to year two. Then they discontinued the excess skin removal agreement. She can only eat a few foods so lost all of her hair because she can't eat Proteins and has constant diarrhea. She is miserable.

All of us feel that during the two years, we were not given full and honest information regarding after effects. We weren't given any medication to prevent damage to our gallbladders nor were we warned they might have to be removed.

We weren't given information regarding food revulsion, inability to eat through the food stages, constant diarrhea, lactose intolerance etc.

We also were not told of the amount of people in our program who had complications after surgery, and we asked. My surgeon still says my surgery was "textbook" and declares his record as problem free despite my having severe complications and still being ill 8 weeks post op.

So we feel mislead. All three of us that had sleeves had severe post op complications. One had an abscess on her spleen and Fluid on her lungs and spent weeks in hospital on IV antibiotics. Her sleeve leaked and had to be re done. She is still really ill.

One of us was in intensive care for six weeks, had to have a tracheotomy and was on the critical list, he is still gravely ill.

I had a 6.6 cm abdominal abscess that nearly killed me, spent weeks in hospital, dropped over 60lbs in 4 weeks, which might have killed my gallbladder, was given a near fatal dose of Cyclizine which caused lingering stroke symptoms and I am still ill on fluids at 8 week post op and can't eat any Proteins, am now lactose intolerant, I will have my gallbladder out once the abscess clears, if I am brave enough. My wounds haven't healed yet from the sleeve op yet. I can't tolerate any Vitamins etc I am supposed to take. And the aftercare we receive has been awful and totally confusing.

We all also feel that we were not fully informed about eating after the sleeve. We were told that once we got through the stages, we would be eating normally, just small portions.

We weren't told how many of us die each year from malnutrition here in the UK.

On discharge, we were given a booklet regarding food stages and foods that might cause problems.

None of us would have had our surgeries if we had had this booklet before our sleeves.

So no, we can't get together as we are all at home, ill, mostly on antibiotics and other treatments, facing more serious ops and treatments, months after our sleeves. Most of us battling dehydration.

Another lady we know has lost over 120lbs in 8 weeks. She is still in hospital and they don't know what's wrong yet.

We feel that we have been made permanently disabled by this surgery and not given accurate information so that we could make informed decisions.

I researched this thoroughly and asked questions and was told not to worry, that they rarely had problems. They split the statistics up so that the complications are shown as ward aftercare etc.

Four out of four of us is not rare, but a 100% complication rate.

Yes, we will all have to accept our stupid decision. Our families will get over the trauma of us nearly dying from complications. I am in counselling via telephone.

We are all just hoping to be well enough to drive a car again, go to church again, eat enough food to live again. (I am still only getting 300 or so calories but I am up from 100 calories a day for six weeks).

I am not "fighting" this sleeve. I am learning to live with an elective disablement.

Maybe this is just the difference in healthcare between countries. None of us were above 250lbs, all of us could walk normally, only one of us had diabetes and still has it two years post op after all the weight was lost.

I am so sorry to hear about all of the complications all of you are going through. I feel like the medical team that did all of you guys surgery needs to answer for it because I feel like they did something wrong. I don't think it's the procedure itself but I am keeping you guys in my prayers and I hope that all of you make a FULL recovery..

Sent from my 831C using the BariatricPal App

Do a google search. You can find plenty of lawsuits related to WLS, as well as plenty of lawyers who specialize in it.

ANY surgery can kill or cause serious damage after that 30 day window. You don't hear about it because surgeons aren't required by law to count it as a direct result of surgery. My grandmother just died due to complications of a surgery she had 20 years earlier. Now, that surgery was to remove precancerous polyps. Without that surgery, she'd likely have died far sooner. But the surgery still resulted in the scar tissue that caused the bowl obstruction that caused sepsis and ultimately resulted in her death.

This isn't about bashing WLS specifically. I have issues with ANY surgery not having to go beyond the first 30 days in terms of counting the side effects and dangers. And especially elective surgeries, which, no matter how you may personally feel about your WLS experiences, WLS very much IS.

I guess I have no idea what you're talking about. I was talking about WLS and my hospital presented 5 years post surgery stats and they were similar to that of a root canal.

Huh?

"There are good foods and bad foods after wls, just like before. And just like before, your diet should consist of 90% good foods."

Yeah, see. This sort of mentality is a MAJOR problem for me. I don't look at food in a moral context. It's too triggering.

As someone in eating disorder recovery, I do not look at foods as "good" versus "bad." food is food. I eat what makes me, personally, feel good. Here are a few posts to better explain my position.

http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/real-food/

http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/good-food-bad-food-and-subversive-food-combining/

http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/eat-food-stuff-you-like-as-much-as-you-want/

Obviously, the last one, for someone with any sort of WLS would have to be amended, but the point isn't to binge or overeat anyway. The point is, to eat what you like, until you feel full.

As someone in eating disorder recovery, I do not look at foods as "good" versus "bad." food is food. I eat what makes me, personally, feel good. Here are a few posts to better explain my position.

Huh?

http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/real-food/

http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/good-food-bad-food-and-subversive-food-combining/

http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/eat-food-stuff-you-like-as-much-as-you-want/

Obviously, the last one, for someone with any sort of WLS would have to be amended, but the point isn't to binge or overeat anyway. The point is, to eat what you like, until you feel full.

Ah...OK.

Reading that second article was interesting. I've never thought of food as "morally good" or "morally bad" and I'm not much on the use of the word triggering so I truly had no idea what you were saying.

So that said... I can kind of agree/disagree. :D I had the sleeve vs. bypass so I could live a fairly normal life dietarily (is that even a word?). I wanted to be able to have a piece of cake or a scoop of ice cream occasionally. (Ice cream makes me dump, so that's a no.) I enjoy chicken wings and potato chips occasionally as well.

BUT. Eating intuitively? Nope with a capital NO. I got to 264 pounds eating intuitively. FOR ME, some foods are bad. Not morally, just a really horrible decision. Ice cream (for the reasons above), rice, potato chips (can't stop with just a couple), M&Ms (same). Some are good. Not morally, they just help me stay on track. eggs, cheese, red meat, asparagus, anything that comes out of the deep blue sea...

I spent way too much time yo you dieting. I thought I was a super healthy fat person but now that I am not a fat person, I can see all the damage I did to my body while thinking that way.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/308645-i-was-a-super-healthy-fat-person-until-surgery-changed-my-life-was-it-worth-it/?hl=%20super%20%20healthy%20%20fat

That said. My words are mine. My actions and my results are mine. You know yourself best and my words are not at all meant to take away from yours.

Good luck to you!! Clearly you have put a TON of thought into this process which is so much more than I can say about a lot of people who have this procedure done.

@@Elen

Oh! And just a thought point for you that I really didn't understand pre-op and you can't fully understand until you've done it. (Post op people hit me up with some LIKES if you agree!!!)

Feeling full after WLS (the sleeve anyways) is NOT good. I used to love feeling full. I craved it, I chased it, I got fat because of it.

Now feeling full makes me feel like sh*t for hours. It's physically uncomfortable, it makes me feel claustrophobic, I get sweaty, I get nervous, I want to hurl and sometimes I do. Full sits in my chest for hours instead of in that warm comfy spot where my tummy used to live. Seriously.

I do not regret no longer suffering from sleep apnea.

I do not regret no longer having high blood pressure.

I do not regret no longer being pre-diabetic.

@@Elen

Oh! And just a thought point for you that I really didn't understand pre-op and you can't fully understand until you've done it. (Post op people hit me up with some LIKES if you agree!!!)

Feeling full after WLS (the sleeve anyways) is NOT good. I used to love feeling full. I craved it, I chased it, I got fat because of it.

Now feeling full makes me feel like sh*t for hours. It's physically uncomfortable, it makes me feel claustrophobic, I get sweaty, I get nervous, I want to hurl and sometimes I do. Full sits in my chest for hours instead of in that warm comfy spot where my tummy used to live. Seriously.

Yeah, that's not how "full" feels. Full means I don't feel like I'm starving myself, with the hopes that my body will eat itself, eat the fat, away. Full means I'm comfortable. What you're describing is what happens after a binge. Intuitive eating taught me that difference. Dieting is what made ME fatter. It's what gave me an eating disorder that I fought for decades, and still have to fight even today, although it's miles away from how it used to be before I began therapy and stopped dieting.

If I hadn't, I'd never have been in a good mental place to even consider this surgery. Which doesn't mean there aren't doctors who would've said, "no, not you." Because there were doctors pushing WLS on me when it should've been abundantly clear I was NOT mentally capable of handling any of it.