Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone regret their surgery?

Good advice. I have had one slice of pizza since my surgery and should probably limit my pizza consumption going forward.

Don't do it!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

If I were in that situation, I'd either get friends to go with to eat the rest of the pie, or give it to a homeless person. :) That is, if I were sure I could stop with one piece. :D

Not for one second have I regretted having sleeve surgery; despite having to be admitted to the hospital 6 days post-op for plural effusion due to infection.

I spent 2 weeks as inpatient then moved to inpatient rehab for 6 days to rebuild my strength. There's always that very small percentage who MAY encounter challenges post-op so I wouldn't want anyone to let those concerns or my experience deter you from moving forward. My surgery went great!! I developed an abdominal infection that caused the plural effusion. Needless to say, I went through the liquids-pureed-mushies food phases as an inpatient so, by the time I went home I was able to begin transitioning to solid food, as tolerated, according to my surgeon's plan.

No regrets whatsoever!!!

Totally regret it! My three friends also regret it. But we can't change it now.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Good advice. I have had one slice of pizza since my surgery and should probably limit my pizza consumption going forward.

Don't do it!!

If I were in that situation, I'd either get friends to go with to eat the rest of the pie, or give it to a homeless person. :) That is, if I were sure I could stop with one piece. :D

Yeah, the one piece is fine but taking it home could be deadly!

Wow. That really sucks. We're u just recently sleeved?

No, you're right. You can not change it now.

SO--

What's the plan for the "Fantastic Four"?

Together you have a wonderful opportunity to join together and adapt your lives to your sleeves.

Let your sleeves work for you. Learn to listen to it---respect it and your sleeve will guide you to a healthier life.

I fought mine for 4years. Finally, I have "made up" with my sleeve and we have become a team worth reckoning with. :)

You can't change "it", so you have to change "yourself".

Once you do that, you will not only healthier, but also more content within your own body.

That's a win/win anyway you look at it.

Take care of yourself. Be kind.

"Fantastic Four"----I like that! :)

Nope, not one second.

This year has been one of the best years of my life.

I would say I regret not having it sooner, but I had it at the perfect time in my life.

Is there anyone here who has had sleeve surgery who regrets it? If so, why?

I did a few days after surgery, but now I love my sleeve. Sometimes I get pissed because I can't eat what I thought I could, but that's just me being a brat. Overall it's an amazing journey and I wouldn't change a thing.

Sent from my SM-G360P using the BariatricPal App

May I ask why you regret it?

Each one of us attended a two year program where we lost weight if we could naturally, went to meetings, seminars, bariatric team discussions etc. We had exhaustive tests and each were either given the sleeve or bypass. My friend who had bypass was in a program that offered Excess skin removal after year one. They moved the goalposts to year two. Then they discontinued the excess skin removal agreement. She can only eat a few foods so lost all of her hair because she can't eat Proteins and has constant diarrhea. She is miserable.

All of us feel that during the two years, we were not given full and honest information regarding after effects. We weren't given any medication to prevent damage to our gallbladders nor were we warned they might have to be removed.

We weren't given information regarding food revulsion, inability to eat through the food stages, constant diarrhea, lactose intolerance etc.

We also were not told of the amount of people in our program who had complications after surgery, and we asked. My surgeon still says my surgery was "textbook" and declares his record as problem free despite my having severe complications and still being ill 8 weeks post op.

So we feel mislead. All three of us that had sleeves had severe post op complications. One had an abscess on her spleen and Fluid on her lungs and spent weeks in hospital on IV antibiotics. Her sleeve leaked and had to be re done. She is still really ill.

One of us was in intensive care for six weeks, had to have a tracheotomy and was on the critical list, he is still gravely ill.

I had a 6.6 cm abdominal abscess that nearly killed me, spent weeks in hospital, dropped over 60lbs in 4 weeks, which might have killed my gallbladder, was given a near fatal dose of Cyclizine which caused lingering stroke symptoms and I am still ill on fluids at 8 week post op and can't eat any Proteins, am now lactose intolerant, I will have my gallbladder out once the abscess clears, if I am brave enough. My wounds haven't healed yet from the sleeve op yet. I can't tolerate any Vitamins etc I am supposed to take. And the aftercare we receive has been awful and totally confusing.

We all also feel that we were not fully informed about eating after the sleeve. We were told that once we got through the stages, we would be eating normally, just small portions.

We weren't told how many of us die each year from malnutrition here in the UK.

On discharge, we were given a booklet regarding food stages and foods that might cause problems.

None of us would have had our surgeries if we had had this booklet before our sleeves.

So no, we can't get together as we are all at home, ill, mostly on antibiotics and other treatments, facing more serious ops and treatments, months after our sleeves. Most of us battling dehydration.

Another lady we know has lost over 120lbs in 8 weeks. She is still in hospital and they don't know what's wrong yet.

We feel that we have been made permanently disabled by this surgery and not given accurate information so that we could make informed decisions.

I researched this thoroughly and asked questions and was told not to worry, that they rarely had problems. They split the statistics up so that the complications are shown as ward aftercare etc.

Four out of four of us is not rare, but a 100% complication rate.

Yes, we will all have to accept our stupid decision. Our families will get over the trauma of us nearly dying from complications. I am in counselling via telephone.

We are all just hoping to be well enough to drive a car again, go to church again, eat enough food to live again. (I am still only getting 300 or so calories but I am up from 100 calories a day for six weeks).

I am not "fighting" this sleeve. I am learning to live with an elective disablement.

Maybe this is just the difference in healthcare between countries. None of us were above 250lbs, all of us could walk normally, only one of us had diabetes and still has it two years post op after all the weight was lost.

No regrets. I have lost over 100 pounds and no longer need any of my diabetes meds.

Ok - maybe one regret. I wish I could eat some Brooklyn pizza with fresh mozzarella. :)

Why can't you eat a small slice of pizza? I don't plan on indulging daily or even weekly but especially 100 pounds down the line I will plan for small indulgences and adjust my calories accordingly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

I was able to eat a piece of pizza about 6 months post opt. Everyone's different. My solid food limit is about 8 ounces.

No regrets. I have lost over 100 pounds and no longer need any of my diabetes meds.

Ok - maybe one regret. I wish I could eat some Brooklyn pizza with fresh mozzarella. :)

Why can't you eat a small slice of pizza? I don't plan on indulging daily or even weekly but especially 100 pounds down the line I will plan for small indulgences and adjust my calories accordingly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

I could eat a small slice of pizza, but unfortunately they only sell the Brooklyn pies (fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, plum tomatoes) as a whole pie. I guess I could buy the whole thing, eat a slice, and then freeze the rest. Hmmm...
Don't do it!!

There are good foods and bad foods after wls, just like before. And just like before, your diet should consist of 90% good foods.

The difference is, when you eat good or bad foods, you can't eat much. Yesterday I took my mother to lunch and we split a dinner salad. I ate half of my half and she ended up taking half home.

The key is having a disciplined maintenance program. I weigh myself just about every day and if I go over my goal weight, I go back on my low carb 1000/calories day diet.

10 months post opt, I've only gone over goal 3 times. All by less than 1 pound, and never for more than one day.

Yes, I can eat pizza, but seldom do.,,

Each one of us attended a two year program where we lost weight if we could naturally, went to meetings, seminars, bariatric team discussions etc. We had exhaustive tests and each were either given the sleeve or bypass. My friend who had bypass was in a program that offered Excess skin removal after year one. They moved the goalposts to year two. Then they discontinued the excess skin removal agreement. She can only eat a few foods so lost all of her hair because she can't eat Proteins and has constant diarrhea. She is miserable.

All of us feel that during the two years, we were not given full and honest information regarding after effects. We weren't given any medication to prevent damage to our gallbladders nor were we warned they might have to be removed.

We weren't given information regarding food revulsion, inability to eat through the food stages, constant diarrhea, lactose intolerance etc.

We also were not told of the amount of people in our program who had complications after surgery, and we asked. My surgeon still says my surgery was "textbook" and declares his record as problem free despite my having severe complications and still being ill 8 weeks post op.

So we feel mislead. All three of us that had sleeves had severe post op complications. One had an abscess on her spleen and Fluid on her lungs and spent weeks in hospital on IV antibiotics. Her sleeve leaked and had to be re done. She is still really ill.

One of us was in intensive care for six weeks, had to have a tracheotomy and was on the critical list, he is still gravely ill.

I had a 6.6 cm abdominal abscess that nearly killed me, spent weeks in hospital, dropped over 60lbs in 4 weeks, which might have killed my gallbladder, was given a near fatal dose of Cyclizine which caused lingering stroke symptoms and I am still ill on fluids at 8 week post op and can't eat any Proteins, am now lactose intolerant, I will have my gallbladder out once the abscess clears, if I am brave enough. My wounds haven't healed yet from the sleeve op yet. I can't tolerate any Vitamins etc I am supposed to take. And the aftercare we receive has been awful and totally confusing.

We all also feel that we were not fully informed about eating after the sleeve. We were told that once we got through the stages, we would be eating normally, just small portions.

On discharge, we were given a booklet regarding food stages and foods that might cause problems.

None of us would have had our surgeries if we had had this booklet before our sleeves.

So no, we can't get together as we are all at home, ill, mostly on antibiotics and other treatments, facing more serious ops and treatments, months after our sleeves. Most of us battling dehydration.

Another lady we know has lost over 120lbs in 8 weeks. She is still in hospital and they don't know what's wrong yet.

We feel that we have been made permanently disabled by this surgery and not given accurate information so that we could make informed decisions.

I researched this thoroughly and asked questions and was told not to worry, that they rarely had problems. They split the statistics up so that the complications are shown as ward aftercare etc.

Yes, we will all have to accept our stupid decision. Our families will get over the trauma of us nearly dying from complications. I am in counselling via telephone.

We are all just hoping to be well enough to drive a car again, go to church again, eat enough food to live again. (I am still only getting 300 or so calories but I am up from 100 calories a day for six weeks).

I am not "fighting" this sleeve. I am learning to live with an elective disablement.

Maybe this is just the difference in healthcare between countries. None of us were above 250lbs, all of us could walk normally, only one of us had diabetes and still has it two years post op after all the weight was lost.

This experience is so statistically inconsistent with everyone else I've ever talked to or read about, it's hard to believe.

1. Where did you get your surgery?

2. Did you all have the same surgeon?

3. Have you got an attorney?

Has anyone else ever heard of anything like this following VSG?

My surgeon told us that about 2% had complications. After reading comments from hundreds of patients on a variety of forums, I'd say that number is HIGH. I can't recall anyone but you!

Edited by Cape Crooner

We all had the same team but different surgeons. We are in Yorkshire, England. Why would I have an attorney?

I have read of complications here on these forums. Perhaps the ratio of people having WLS in the States compared to the population makes the incidence sound smaller.

I also think that people on forums don't want to sound negative so skim over complications etc.

We signed for a surgical complication rate of 1%.

But that is the issue. The statistics are split between actual surgical, post op, ward care, etc.

We feel that this program should be halted until we all are treated and are well and the reasons for all the abscesses etc are dealt with. But obviously, we are still under these surgeons care for the next two years so can't really complain.

I am lying here now with agonising spasms, cramps and diarrhea which I have had since Saturday.

No one from that team is interested so it will be up to my GP to investigate then send me to a gastro consultant. All which will take weeks.

As they didn't alter my bowels in surgery and the dietician doesn't think it sounds like a gallbladder issue, I am just left out here with no help.

This worries me.

This is not normal. You need to hire a legal team if you were promised things that are no longer being given to you.

I had diarrhea -- Probiotics helped that immediately.

I have a stricture, I simply eat slowly and lean towards softer foods.

Gall bladder removal is common after WLS, so that's no big deal -- no medication I know of will prevent that.

Many of us "battle" dehydration for months after surgery, we just adapt by sipping fluids alllllll day long.

I went months on 300-700 calories a day. It took me almost a year to get up to 900.

I was severely nauseated and had cramping, both were treated with two teeny pills.

I couldn't swallow Vitamins (stricture) so I took a Gummy form.

Some of your stuff sounds normal and workable, some, not so much. Y'all really need to seek council.