Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol Addiction

I agree with other posters here and encourage you to get professional support.

There are also treatment plans available that work differently than AA if that doesn't work for you. Not knocking AA because it has saved untold numbers of lives. It just doesn't work for everyone.

I found out about the Sinclair program through some sci fi circles I run in, and like to pass this along to anyone struggling with alcohol. http://www.onelittlepillmovie.com/about.html

Good luck, and please get some professional support with this.

You've taken the first step in recovery by admitting your problem. You have faced the Denial you had in your life. I would recommend that you find a Celebrate Recovery Group and attend regular meetings,. You will be loved and given tools to help you become an overcomer. Praying for you as you seek to get your addiction under control

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

It's more common than you think. So many people hooked on alcohol and drugs are in that boat because of terrible pain! Have you taken care of your dental issue? It's a priority to take care of the pain you are medicating with alcohol. Go to the source and fix the actual problem instead of placating the symptoms.

Not sure what your best path is with the alcohol withdrawal but a detox/rehab clinic may be the perfect answer.

Best of luck to you. You've been through a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Guest

Update:

I'm now down to just 4 shots a day that I take at night. I no longer drink before work or during the day. This is a far cry from doing around 20 or more shots during the day. I would wake up and hit like 5 or 6 shots before work and then hit shots off and on during the day before getting wasted at night.

The day I stopped drinking in the morning and during the day was the worst as far as withdrawals. I felt horrible, was shaking, feverish, dilated pupils, etc. It was pretty crazy. But it got better each day from there.

I'm using the HAMs method at the below link and it's really working for me.

http://www.hamsnetwork.org/

Tonight I'll be reducing to 3 shots and when I get down to a half a shot a night I will then quit altogether. Then I will abstain for a very long time before allowing myself to enjoy an occasional drink.

I agree with other posters here and encourage you to get professional support.

There are also treatment plans available that work differently than AA if that doesn't work for you. Not knocking AA because it has saved untold numbers of lives. It just doesn't work for everyone.

I found out about the Sinclair program through some sci fi circles I run in, and like to pass this along to anyone struggling with alcohol. http://www.onelittlepillmovie.com/about.html

Good luck, and please get some professional support with this.

This is an interesting find. I've been looking into it all morning. http://www.thesinclairmethod.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3041

I know AA works for some people. (My sister and her husband are at the top of the list). I am just not comfortable with the model. My church has a wonderful series call The 12 Steps a Spiritual Journey. I just can't accept the premises. But the Sinclair Method may actually be what Bill W. hoped many years ago when he stated he was hoping there would be a day when science would help find an answer.

If you suspect you have a problem, but you are not willing to go abstinence only, this might be the right tool for you.

I would not wait to seek help. You are already aware that your drinking is a problem. It's not uncommon for people to swap one addiction for another. So I would encourage to trust your instincts on this and not listen to anyone telling you this is not serious. It's clear that you already know it is. Wishing you all the best!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Just an FYI: I've chosen not to get "professional help" because doing so can stigmatize you for life as it will be on your medical records and can interfere with you getting a good job or worse down the line.

The HAMs method is working for me and the Sinclaire approach seems like it would be good for people as well, but only if they can make it OTC.

Just an FYI: I've chosen not to get "professional help" because doing so can stigmatize you for life as it will be on your medical records and can interfere with you getting a good job or worse down the line.

The HAMs method is working for me and the Sinclaire approach seems like it would be good for people as well, but only if they can make it OTC.

If you are an American, HIPAA law prevents your employer or future employer from being able to access your medical record. No medical practice would go giving out that information unless they want to get sued. It is against the law.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using the BariatricPal App

If you are an American, HIPAA law prevents your employer or future employer from being able to access your medical record. No medical practice would go giving out that information unless they want to get sued. It is against the law.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using the BariatricPal App

Not quite true. They can't give out your information without your permission. However, there are key fields where such is required for employment. So if you deny an employer access to your medical records then it may cost you a very good job. So it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario. If you deny them access it's bad. If they see it on your record it's bad.

The details of why you are seeking counseling can not disclosed to the employer. Many people see mental health professionals.

Now if you are worried about a "good job", they may will ask you about any substance or alcohol dependency or abuse. If you lie on that, that could cause you a good job, as possibly coming to work while under the influence of alcohol.

What is more important is that you receive help. If you do not want to see a mental health care professional, please start with a support group like AA.

You are too young to ruin your life and health.

Wishing you the best.

I would strongly disagree. Getting professional help can save your life.

Actively practicing your addiction (whatever form that takes) is what will ruin your life, career, relationships, etc.

All this time, you've been risking your job (and any chance of a better future job) by drinking before and during work.. but you're worried getting help for this problem will cause you employment problems? Seems a little silly but I'm glad you're still working at it!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I am glad to see this update, and thankful you are able to taper.

wishing you all the best as you continue to wean off. I know you will be on your guard to not let something else unhelpful take it's place.