Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shoulder Pain after rapid weightloss

Hey everyone,

I was sleeved on 2/10/2016 and am down 54 pounds since them, and another 36 pounds before that for a total of 90 pounds down since 10/1/2015. Before I got into the options program at Kaiser, I never had any shoulder problems, however now that I have dropped so much weight so rapidly, my left shoulder blade (some times my right too, but not nearly as bad or as often) has been killing me all the time. this started before surgery and has been getting worse ever since. I know that this sometimes happens with rapid weight loss as your body is trying to account for this new weight distribution, but this really sucks.

Have any of you had this intense shoulder pain after you started loosing weight? What did you do that helped? Any input is welcome.

**note: I have not previously injured my shoulder, and there were no traumatic events that occurred around the time this started.

No, I haven't noticed this or heard anyone talk about it.

Have you talked to your doctor about it? How is your posture? Are you exercising?

Maybe a physical therapist can help.

I had torn my rotator cuff on left shoulder 3 years ago and had surgery. This year in March I had my right shoulder done, what the heck no trauma to it. i don't think it was weight related this one was sore 6 months before I went to Drs.

So go now to your doctors office and talk with him/her. They have ways to move it that if its torn it will put you to your knees!

I had to do physical therapy for 6 weeks before he could send me to Ortho dr (thank you Obamacare) and he the Ortho dr ordered the MRI which proved it was torn. I'm still recovering from it, one of the worse painful operations and recoveries there is. My surgeon said people would rather have a knee replaced than to go through this again!

Do you still have your gallbladder? Sometimes gallstones can cause shoulder pain.

My right shoulder started hurting out of the blue. I never thought about the rapid weight loss being the reason.

I have thought about lack of Protein being the reason.

Or a

Torn rotator cuff (although I've done nothing to it)

I have a script for an X-ray to find out something. It's pretty painful

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Do you still have your gallbladder? Sometimes gallstones can cause shoulder pain.

No I lost that and my appendix a very long time ago.

My right shoulder started hurting out of the blue. I never thought about the rapid weight loss being the reason.

I have thought about lack of Protein being the reason.

Or a

Torn rotator cuff (although I've done nothing to it)

I have a script for an X-ray to find out something. It's pretty painful

I didn't do anything to tear my right side rotator cuff, sometimes it just happens. But I do know when I tore the left side, out camping and leaned over to pick up something beside the couch in our camper and OMG the pain was horrible.

A X-Ray won't show a muscle being torn, it's just to see if it's broke. X-Rays are more for seeing the bones, a trip to an Ortho dr so he can send you to get a MRI would be most helpful.

@@#9grammy

Yes an MRI is what I need but I have to play the insurance game. They won't cover the MRI until you have the X-ray first :/

I guess I should clarify, by shoulder, I mean my shoulder blade (scapula) close to my spine.

Any experience with this?

I guess I should clarify, by shoulder, I mean my shoulder blade (scapula) close to my spine.

Any experience with this?

What does your doctor say?

I am going in at 430 today to find out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App