Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to Make the Most Out of Buffets

I don't go to buffets. I go to a regular restaurant and order my food. I eat the amount I am supposed to and take the rest home with me.

If you want to go to be with your friends, know that you are paying for being with your friends. I don't want to pay money to hurt myself. No amount of food is worth dying an early death from obesity.

I can and I will.

Yup! Nothing wrong with paying to be with your friends. Also no one saying you have to overeat at a buffet.

I've gone to many since surgery over 2.5 years ago, never once overate. I have friends/kids/husband none of whom are overweight who like to eat there. I like their company. I'm willing to pay for that

In fact sometimes I find it even easier to to limit my food intake when I chose what goes on my plate like at a buffet instead of deciding this part I eat and this part goes home.

Being concerned about getting your money's worth at a restaurant isn't a smart priority. I am more concerned about the damage that kind of thinking will do to my weight. It makes me feel proud when I leave food on my plate now. The restaurant doesn't determine what the appropriate portion is for me anymore. I do.

Edited by UCLA man

You guys don't get a card for discounts to allow you to eat off children menu or senior discount? My place is giving us a card that we show at restraunts that allows us to get children's portions and senior discounts menu items.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

You guys don't get a card for discounts to allow you to eat off children menu or senior discount? My place is giving us a card that we show at restraunts that allows us to get children's portions and senior discounts menu items.

I did but some places won't let me use it. They don't HAVE to.

In fact sometimes I find it even easier to to limit my food intake when I chose what goes on my plate like at a buffet instead of deciding this part I eat and this part goes home.

I agree. I prefer a salad bar/ Buffett.

I really can relate .... I am invited to an all you can eat crab house tonight. $40 a plate. I accepted that will never get my money's worth at a buffet ever again. It's the price I pay to be included with my friends and maintain my social relationships. Thankfully buffets are not their normal choice.

Edited by ocgirl15

Crab without butter is very low-calorie and loaded with Protein. I use spray butter (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter) and can barely tell the difference. We bring it to restaurants all the time.

Also put it on baked potato (4 Oz). We pour it in when cooking with it. Zero calories - just chemicals.

This opens up many options...

I was in a wedding and we went to the Golden Corral for the reception. We're high class in Indiana.

I have no shame - I asked for the kid's price. I filled a plate with prime rib, shrimp, and veggies. Ate slowly and enjoyed it!

LOL

I've never heard of this discount card. I could never use one though. Children's menu is crap....mini corndogs, chicken nuggets.

I go to buffets more often than I like because there are a couple my kids really like and it seems unfair not to allow them to go. I bought little plastic 4 ounce containers with tops (you can get a pack of 500 or so for $5) and I keep some in my purse with me when I go. I fill my plate once, eat some food off it (Protein and veggies) and surreptitiously put the leftovers in the little containers to take home. That way I have at least one more meal (sometimes two) for the price. No one has ever said anything to me about it.

@@Wchild22 my dr. gave me a card. it simply says that this patient had gastric surgery. Encouraging a discount or allowed to eat off the kids menu.

the other night i at the buffet i ordered a Snow Crab salad and was able to take the rest home which i ate the next day.

My suggestion it until you learn how to control your impulses at any restaurants... say home. It's so easy to get off track. If i know im going out to eat i will pull up the menu on line and study it until i know exactly what i want and can eat. When ordering... Say no to any liquid... (Water, soda, wine, mix drink). Also, tell the waitress.... when you bring my food, bring a box..... If she doesn't have her go right back and get one. portion out what you are going to eat and box the rest before you take the first bite. Then put it as far away from you as you can ..... Never never never go back in the box... till the next day.

@@Beck90,

I think it depends how you define “most for your money.” If you’re looking to get the lowest cost per bite, you’re probably going to end up with a stomachache, some guilt, and possibly dumping syndrome.

I would instead look at getting the most for your money as getting the best experience possible. You’re spending that money; you have no choice about how much it is. So, once it’s spent, just see what you can get out of the experience. I would think the ideal birthday party would include a healthy meal and having a great time with your friends.

There are usually some great and some terrible options at a Chinese buffet. chicken breast and fish if it’s not breaded are usually good, and vegetables are also good. Just watch out for sweet and sour sauce since it’s so sugary. For dessert, a lot of times you can find some nice fresh fruit. Rice and noodles probably aren't great. If you're looking to get a bigger bang for your buck, look for crab legs - they're more expensive!

Looks like you solved the problem by eating a bunch of different foods and keeping the portion sizes small – that sounds like a good solution!

Ever feel like karma is catching up with you? I didn't get to 300+ without driving some buffet into bankruptcy. ;-)

That said, I'm glad my SO doesn't do buffets. And we do split Entrees without shame. And I try to tip the waitstaff as if we had two, because they do work harder.

My family are taking my granddaughter out to her favourite restaurant, pizza Hut. It will be my first time going out with the family. Have no idea how I am going to deal with it. My granddaughter wants me there but what on Earth will I eat? The little one will notice if I sit with Water and don't eat and ask why. Feeling really stressed about how to fake my way through it

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@GinaCampbell - good luck, keep your eye on the goal. I was at a lunch thing today where they had sandwiches. I have NO PROBLEM scraping the stuff i need off the bread. You can do the same stuff off the pizza dough. Just tell people you don't like crust. What's a little extra cholesterol when you have Protein?

I am more worried about my food stages. I am quite scared of food and will only be 9 weeks post op then

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App