Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to Make the Most Out of Buffets

My family are taking my granddaughter out to her favourite restaurant, pizza Hut. It will be my first time going out with the family. Have no idea how I am going to deal with it. My granddaughter wants me there but what on Earth will I eat? The little one will notice if I sit with Water and don't eat and ask why. Feeling really stressed about how to fake my way through it

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

They have the Greek and Caesar salad. Depending on how long ago you had your sugary, you could probably munch on a quarter of a pizza slice after scraping off the cheese and unhealthy toppings off.

I can and I will.

I can't believe how stressed I feel about it. It's so odd. The normal routine of ordering a drink when you arrive is different, all just ordering a buffet plate together, different. And our pizza huts here in the UK only offer basic salad. Lettuce, Tomato, cucumber, carrot, beetroot. They do offer mac & cheese though which I thought might be an option. My concern isn't calories or weightloss, I just want to go with my granddaughter and appear to be normal. She is only five but sharp as a tack and will notice if I don't eat.

Gina...they have a salad bar with all kinds of stuff on it that you can pick at. Or order just a starter...some chicken wings and nibble on them. I take it you're feeling much better now if you're eating solids and are up to going out. That's great progress!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

Still on Soups, milk and Water at the moment which is my problem. I also have a very aggravated bowel for whatever reason. I am trying Soups with more substance. I have even tried a couple of things like thin readybrek and mash potato but they don't sit well and pass straight through. The only way to calm my bowels down is to stick to Water, a bit of milk and the lightest soups I can find or make. I am better as in the rapid weightloss has stopped, I am no longer dehydrated despite the constant runs etc. But I am still very weak with no energy. The abscess is still there at 3 cm but can't be drained. Can't have my gallbladder out until it clears. But I have sat with my family twice and I don't want to miss out on this trip in August because my granddaughter thinks that I am so sick that I might die. She has nightmares about it so I am pretending to be well a couple of hours a week to ease her mind.

Gina, is it possible to bring your own Soup?

Maybe you can bring your own and explain to the restaurant manager prior to your arrival, and ask them nicely to provide you with a bowl and spoon so you "look" like you are having something from there.

Don't be too hard on yourself.. she won't care what you are eating, she will be happy to just have you there.

Can you get a menu prior, maybe they might have something suitable.

I have become a pro at making it "look" like i haven't had surgery as no one knows i had it done... i usually do some light research before i go and decide prior to going so i don't have the stress of trying to figure it out on the spot

They said no to bringing my own food. I have been looking at the menu and all they have is solid food. I am thinking that I will just order whatever and fake it.

Thats such a shame... it amazes me how businesses see people as customers first and people second.. it doesn't hurt them if you bring your own food for medical purposes... that ticks me off.

Do they serve tea or coffee? Maybe you can have a cup so you don't have to fake it

pizza hut here is very limited, they got rid of the buffets years ago, so i have no idea what they do in the UK

They still do the buffet here but it is nothing like the American version. Just a few basic pizzas, Pasta and salad. I can order things off the menu but again, it's all solids that will be outside my comfort zone

Hmm thats a tricky one....

I would sneak something in... choose a booth in the corner and wear dark sunglasses and a trench coat lol .. what are they going to do if you get caught.. arrest you? Lol

Edited by AussieGirl81

lol this new life is sooo tricky!

That's sounds like good progress. Have you tried anything a bit thicker?how do you tolerate say a little cottage cheese? I found rusks easy to digest early on. You can make them thinner. Weetabix now do a Protein version which you could try things with milk and Protein powder? May give you more energy. When you go out please be careful. You might make yourself Ill if you try solids and can't tolerate them. Why don't you ring them before you go, explain your situation and ask if you can take some Soup of your own and they can bring it out in a bowl for you with the others food. I've done this before with my son at pizza Hut. He didn't eat pizza but they allowed him to take in a macdonalds and they just put it on a plate for him! They're usually very accommodating.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

Edited by madadams

I couldn't tolerate readybrek or thin porridge. pureed cottage cheese didn't work either. So far, small amounts of milk, Water and Soup, blended seem to sit okay. But I am basing some of this on the result once it hits my bowels. I can't tell the difference between what my sleeve doesn't like and what my bowels don't like. If I use imodium, I then can't get anything in, no Water, nothing so my bariatric nurse said to stop using it. Still can't find any Protein that I can get in so nearly eight weeks out, I am getting no Protein and less than 400 cals a day. Which is an improvement on 100 cals a day though. Ironically, the weightloss has stalled (which I don't mind).