Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Telling my daughter...

I was sleeved on May 23, 2016 and have lost 45 pounds. My oldest is about to turn 13 and she's definitely noticed my weight loss. She's a chubby girl and she's getting to the age where she's beginning to care more about her weight.

We obviously didn't have the best eating habits prior to my surgery, but I think her issue is more activity level - she needs to get up and move more! But she didn't have very good examples of being active while she was growing up :(

So, my question is this: I haven't told her I had WLS. I didn't want her to be of the mindset that she can just have surgery later in life. I want her to make better choices and habits than I did. How should I tell her? Or should I tell her at all? I want to be open with her, but I do feel like it's a touchy subject.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Honestly, I would not discuss the surgery at this time, because it may put her in that mind set i can always have surgery later in life. I would definitely get her involved in activity like working out and even just going for nightly jogs with mom. I would also help her with food choices now. She notices your weight loss with changes and having her do the same will only be beneficial. I wish you luck in anything you decide to do with her. But definitely get her to change her life style. It will only be better for her in the long run!

I was very honest with both of my children. While they are a bit younger 8 & 6, I wanted them to know up front that I was having surgery because I made some poor choices over the years that caused me to gain weight and I needed to change not only for myself, but them as well. I let them know that alot of our "old eating habits" were about to change. We had our struggles with "why do we have to eat this" at first, but now they both are right there on the healthy food train with me!! As far as the exercise goes, they are they ones keeping me encouraged! They love that I can run with them now, and I constantly hear, come on Mom......just a little further, when we are at the track!! I LOVE IT!! I say make your daughter a part of the change, when she sees the new choices you are making, I bet she will jump right on board with you!! Best of luck in whatever decision you make :)

I was very honest with both of my children. While they are a bit younger 8 & 6, I wanted them to know up front that I was having surgery because I made some poor choices over the years that caused me to gain weight and I needed to change not only for myself, but them as well. I let them know that alot of our "old eating habits" were about to change. We had our struggles with "why do we have to eat this" at first, but now they both are right there on the healthy food train with me!! As far as the exercise goes, they are they ones keeping me encouraged! They love that I can run with them now, and I constantly hear, come on Mom......just a little further, when we are at the track!! I LOVE IT!! I say make your daughter a part of the change, when she sees the new choices you are making, I bet she will jump right on board with you!! Best of luck in whatever decision you make :)

Love this reply! It's almost exactly what I did with my kids. I have a 12.5 year old daughter and 9 year olds. I do not have plans to tell most people, but I knew the kids would be on to me when I brought the first Protein shake home! We told them it's a "family thing" so I wanted to keep it between us. I realize it might not last. I'm on day 5 of my pre-op diet and they've been so supportive! I really focused on it being about ME and my need to be healthy and a more active Mom. I explained how it will possibly change and benefit our entire family. This isn't easy and I know I'm going to love having my kids in my corner when I am post-op. And I can't wait to see what we learn as s family. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App