Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Bandsters How are you Doing So Far

It's been a very interesting 2 weeks. I started on mushies on Sunday (2 days early) mainly because I just could not take the liquids anymore. It was getting hard for me to get them down. Even though I did start early, I really didn't overdo it. I have had mostly Soups and some Protein Shakes. We had a pot luck at church Sunday night and I was so happy with myself. There was, of course, not much to choose from so I found a pot of chili Beans with a thin broth. I skimmed off the juice which was very good. The main course of this pot luck was spagetti. I took a very small spoonful and mashed it up thoroughly before eating it. I was surprised by how little I ate and how much I left behind. I was not hungry but just mainly wanted to look 'normal' in the crowd. I did eat about 3 bites of watermelon...yum. My usual thing is to eat a heaping plateful and then go back for seconds. I actually ate less than my daughter-in-law who is a size 7-8 and might weigh 110 dripping wet. She made the comment that this was the first time she actually ate more than me...yeah!!! :bounce:I am looking forward to more mushy foods like oatmeal and more soft cooked or pureed vegetables. I am going back to my swimming tomorrow. I went on Monday but the thunderstorms ran us out of the pool. I will be getting my first fill on 10/4 and I am wondering about that. Oh well, that is a long way off from now...gotta' stay in today.

Keep hanging guys!! :confused:

I am so fighting eating! I am soooo hungry. It's like once I could eat regular food, it came on strong! HELP! Need tips to ward it off! Just plain hungry for real food.

I used to live on diet coke and starbucks! Now its hard to drink things that are not soda or caffinated. I bought a Decaf iced coffee yesterday and it was great! Its like everywhere you go out they have diet coke. I had some wine last night and that was good. I just bought diet lemondade and that is good because it comes in a can so it reminds me of diet coke except it doesnt have the bubbles or caffiene.

Thanks Nilsa, I used to be a coke freak but thank goodness I stopped that years ago or else I know I would be in major trouble lol. Well after writing my post I had three fritos with bean dip and chewed chewed chewed until nothing, then added some Water and WA LA it was fritos Soup in my mouth!! omg tasted so good, I fiqure that was my treat. So now I must behave again..

The carbonation is the thing that is bad for the band right? Not the caffeine? I have had strbx and I know that it is full of empty calories but it will not affect the little bandy thing.??

PigsRFlying:

I also had a strbx, but I went to the low carb mocha light frap. It was utterly delicious, but I ordered a venti and it is still sitting here 5 hrs later. just can't drink the whole thing. Check the strbx site for calorie and fat content of all their drinks and keep it "light".

My doc doesn't want me on Protein Drinks because he doesn't want me drinking calories. Since the band doesn't restrict liquids, those calories are completely wasted. I called them because I was getting concerned and they told me to just keep trying and that it will come. My biggest problem is that I talk a lot for my job (I'm a teacher) and I forget to stop drinking before lunch, so I don't get to eat. But now I set a timer and that stops me. I am starting to get the hang of it. I have started including Protein Bars (1/2 of a south beach bar) everyday and adding Protein Powder to everything I eat so that has helped.

I burp like crazy!!! Sometimes it is very loud and I can't even control it! What's the deal with that?:embarassed:

Hi I was banded Aug 20....when i went back to the doctor 1 week after the surgery i lost 24 pounds....my doctor was very surprised with that much weight loss in 1 week.. even though i was happy i felt like a big weight loss so early means a stuggles on for the future. I'm going for my first fill 9/18....but today I had some Pasta and i know i shouldnt be eating that in the mushie stage!!!! I'm having cravings and since i live on a college campus its hard to prepare the proper foods....and food for thought or words of wisdom??

I'm eating regular foods. I get full faster, that's for sure but I don't have a problem eating food. the only problem i have is with rice. It gets stuck and gives me that breast bone pain. that is aweful. I imagine that once I get my fill -- i will have better restriction. I certainly hope so because at this point, the only thnig that reminds me of the band, is the scar on my belly.

Does anyone else have an AP band?

I have the APS band and I think I read somewhere that it takes longer to get to restriction with this new band. (I know every doctor does something different as far as fill amounts go)

I have felt no restriction at all since day 1. As my hunger seems to return more and more each day, I'm starting to get pretty anxious.

BTW. Pmmegm, we have the same band date and we're around the same age. I don't have a fill date yet. I'm to see the dr. on 09/26 and then he will schedule it.

Rumar.....we'll have to compare notes! I love to read about where people are in their journey that have similar surgery dates. It's a bonus if they are close in age! I get my first fill on 9/21. What stage of food are you in? I'm somewhere into the blended foods however yesterday I ate a small piece of chicken until it became the consistency of mush with steamed brocoli and creamed corn. It was nice to sit and have a "normal" dinner with my family. I'll be honest though, I was a bit worried that I'd "PB"!! I did not have any problems. I have a feeling after my fill I won't be so daring!

weight.png

PigsRFlying:

I also had a strbx, but I went to the low carb mocha light frap. It was utterly delicious, but I ordered a venti and it is still sitting here 5 hrs later. just can't drink the whole thing. Check the strbx site for calorie and fat content of all their drinks and keep it "light".

The Today Show had the calorie contents of a small Lite Mocha Frap and they claimed it only had 100 calories. I ordered one, it is made with splenda, and added unflavored Unjury to it. It was VERY doable!

Wow, pmmegm, you are already getting your 1st fill on 09/21? Your Doctor is definitely different from mine. He believes in waiting 6-8 weeks post surgery. I see him on 09/26 and he will schedule my 1st fill after that. Today is our 3 week anniversary!!! Hooray!! And this was suppose to be my 1st day on pureed but I actually started Tuesday night. After being on liquids, I absolutely love pureed. So far, I've pureed black Beans, chicken, black eye peas and Gorton Fish Fillets. I prefer the fish as it is easier to pureed. I'm to stay at this stage for 2 or 3 weeks. The funny thing is my 3 year old granddaughter is eating my pureed food. She loves it!! But boy are the beans doing a number on my bowels (LOL). But I love beans and they are full of Protein also. I'm down to 2 Protein Shakes a day so along with the food it gets me up to the 72 grams they are wanting me to have in this stage!!! I'm adding one food at a time to see how I tolerate it. It does seem that I have a little discomfort the next morning after trying something different. I walk everyday during my lunch hour for at least a mile. For some strange reason today I was so stiff and sore (just like prior to losing some weight). That was strange and I wondered if it was because I added meat? ? I hope you continue to do well and yes, let's keep up with each other's progress!

Rumar

NO RESTRICTION ~ TIME TO FREAK OUT!

17 DAYS POST OP

22 POUNDS LOST

REGAINING ENERGY

LESS PORT PAIN

SOUNDS GREAT?

WELL.........................................

I have no restriction. Today I ordered a cup of French Onion Soup and was able to tolerate the cheese and the bread. No problem.

For dinner I ate 1 cup of Hormel 99% FF chili. That cup didn't fill me up. I felt NO RESTRICTION WHATSOEVER! I'm freaking out.

My weight loss is very good, but I am scared I will fall back into old habits with this new found fact... I HAVE NO RESTRICTION.

My doctor said he waits 6 weeks to do a fill, but I need to go in now. Before I start eating more than I should. Anybody else experience this?help.gif