Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All programs are different. I am suppose to avoid white flour foods for the rest of my life (saltines are a no no forever). At 7 months post op I could eat them with no issues. My NUT believes white flour carbs are evil and a big component of what causes obesity in the first place. She is probably right on that point. It is mind boggling the variation in programs. However I was allowed some mash potatoes during my puréed stage.... They never made anyone fat... That was sarcasm.

Edited by ocgirl15

@@Kaze I respect the f**k out of anyone who can eat crackers in moderation. I could house a sleeve of saltines in a single 22 min episode of golden girls. So more power to you. I love that.

See I'm obviously still in the post-op honeymoon phase where I'm just not hungry and when I do eat something rougher than liquidy things, I really can't eat a whole lot, so I'm pretty convinced I would only tolerate a few crackers anyway. I was the same way beforehand (although I did stop myself a lot, but the weight still happened, lol) but I would love to take advantage of my sleeve to practice Portion Control more so than elimination of certain foods. I remember reading a post from another member where they essentially said that they don't eliminate anything, they just heavily watch portions of those less than ideal foods because it adds to quality of life which makes long term changes a lot easy and that just resonated with me. Obviously if I get to a stage where I'm eating enough that I'm gaining instead of losing, I'll cease and desist and modify my methodology, but for now I'm going on what I know of my sleeve right here, right now. :P

All programs are different. I am suppose to avoid white flour foods for the rest of my life (saltines are a no no forever). At 7 months post op I could eat them with no issues. My NUT believes white flour carbs are evil and a big component of what causes obesity in the first place. She is probably right on that point. It is mind boggling the variation in programs. However I was allowed some mash potatoes during my puréed stage.... They never made anyone fat... That was sarcasm.

See I really think NUTs like that are just spouting what we all know is true in terms of what's healthier than others, but I would highly bet they go home and have themselves a nice heaping of mashed potatos and garlic texas toast just like the rest of us do...we just couldn't handle the privilege as well, haha.

I refuse to believe the "none forever" logic because that just makes you (I speak in the third person here) want it more psychologically speaking. Unless the food knowingly will cause damage to the sleeve, I don't think it's wise to scare patients into believing they're absolute no's just because they aren't the most optimal food option.

I don't know, we'll see in six months. If I'm failing big time at weight loss, y'all know why and who to blame, LOL.

I think they specifically mean the crackers that have lots of visible grains to them. It should be something that would completely turn to mush when soaked in Water.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You know I feel like all crackers do that though. But I do know what you mean, haha.

Boy, some of the programs are so different, even outliers.

On my program, crackers and chips are listed as "slider foods" ... Highly processed, low nutrition, carby foods that your sleeve doesn't restrict at all.

But if your program says to eat them ...?

Boy, some of the programs are so different, even outliers.

On my program, crackers and chips are listed as "slider foods" ... Highly processed, low nutrition, carby foods that your sleeve doesn't restrict at all.

But if your program says to eat them ...?

Weird...I'd think things like crackers would really stuff you...fiber, grain, starch, etc.

Some of your programs make me so sad! I'd hate to be convinced there's normalish foods I just CANNOT ever have again. The only thing my program says is a "no no" and it doesn't even say that is "high fat foods" where it just says "continue to avoid"...doesn't even say "don't have" just suggests avoiding, and it says that as a precaution for if you have dumping syndrome!

I don't know if my program is just hella lax and more exercise/diet balance focused or what? Do your programs have exercise physiology included in them? Perhaps yours focus heavily on diet and minorly on exercise? I don't know, our book is half diet half exercise and stresses as balanced of a diet as possible and a really good regimen.

I wonder if it's more just a surgeon/NUT preference thing?

Kaze, there's nothing I can NEVER have. I was just told to avoid slider foods while I was losing weight.

I've been in maintenance for 14 months. So I eat anything I dare as long as it supports my maintenance. That means I don't get to eat everything I want anytime I want it. ;)

I do eat crackers now, but not until I reached goal. But not often, since for me they're not only a slider food but a trigger food.

My program, like yours, did emphasize exercise.

But back to your original question ... The highest fibrous crackers I've found are Wasa crackers and seed crackers, although seed crackers are problematic so early out, due to healing not being complete yet.

Good luck. :)

My nut mushy phase had a suggestion of 2 saltines with chicken salad. Also 2 crackers with hummus.

There are nut crackers by Blue Diamond made with almonds that do not have seeds. Also a whole wheat like a low salt whole grain triscuit is maybe something to consider.

I just wanted to add...

My program has crackers in the book. Even though my Dr and Nutritionist explicitly said not to eat those kinds of things.

I got the feeling in my nutrition class pre-op they just include this stuff because if they didn't some people would never have surgery and they are kinda playing roulette on people not being able to tolerate it and they will do Protein first and not have the room. WLS is a business now at the end of the day.

That is just my opinion. A lot things I was told not to eat are allowed in the booklet, but I was told specifically to be successful not to eat these things. I know why people are confused. It is because the information is all over the place.

EXCEPT STRAWS!!! Straws are universal death! Just kidding, but straws seem to be the one common evil.

My nut mushy phase had a suggestion of 2 saltines with chicken salad. Also 2 crackers with hummus.

There are nut crackers by Blue Diamond made with almonds that do not have seeds. Also a whole wheat like a low salt whole grain triscuit is maybe something to consider.

Crackers made from almonds? Interesting, I'll have to check those out. I'm sure they've got some decent Protein, too, versus traditional crackers. I'm going to need to get some chicken salad...or do you guys make chicken salad? I know prepared chicken salads typically have crunchies like celery which my program recommends avoiding super fibrous and raw veggies. Is there brands that you guys like?

Kaze, there's nothing I can NEVER have. I was just told to avoid slider foods while I was losing weight.

I've been in maintenance for 14 months. So I eat anything I dare as long as it supports my maintenance. That means I don't get to eat everything I want anytime I want it. ;)

I do eat crackers now, but not until I reached goal. But not often, since for me they're not only a slider food but a trigger food.< /p>

My program, like yours, did emphasize exercise.

But back to your original question ... The highest fibrous crackers I've found are Wasa crackers and seed crackers, although seed crackers are problematic so early out, due to healing not being complete yet.

Good luck. :)

Thank makes a lot of sense, avoiding while losing weight, but it appears some people have stated how their programs explicitly state there are foods they should just never have which is like "waaaaaht". Seems like a bad way to try and take control of your cravings to me, but I'm young so maybe I'm just ignorant lol.

Very odd how variable our programs differ. Like I said, my best guess for my program is during the first few weeks into a month and a half, I think they really just want you eating SOMETHING (while getting your protein) and really do some trial and error and see what your sleeve tolerates and doesn't and then beyond that being reasonably conscious about what you're eating.

Well, I wonder, since it suggests things like crackers, I wonder if those like veggie crisps (not the potato starch ones, ones that are literally dehydrated and baked veggies) would be OK or better? Protein + veggie? Problem is the only one I know about are those crispy pea pods and they're both expensive and I imagine more fried than I imagine.

All I know is I like crunchy things with my hummus and guacamole. I'll have to look around for something. I already got a great inspiration idea from @@LipstickLady suggesting cheese and thinking of parmesan crisps.

I seriously don't think 2 crackers would impact anyone's decision and my team has a pretty conservative view on things. Our book was crafted by the nut so nothing that they don't agree with, I think there is a recognition that getting Protein is key and some need a vehicle for their hummus or meat salads --- esp when you can't have raw veggies.

But definitely ask your nut for suggestions. They probably have a list of brand suggestions.

@@chycky

The main in ingredient in them is rice flour, so the formulas have as much if not more carbs than normal crackers. They are meant as gluten free crackers not low carb. I thought they were an interesting option until I looked at the nutrition on them.newPecanNT-page-001.jpg

newAlmondNT-page-001.jpg

The Cheddar aren't so bad...

ingnut13002-page-001.jpg

I think normal crackers have more Fiber than these.

Also, there is nothing wrong with eating chicken salad with a fork and hummus with a spoon. Ladies watching their figure have been eating chicken and tuna salad with a fork for decades. Who here is old enough to remember that diet plate that restaurants used to have? They served a chicken or tuna salad on a bed of lettuce with cottage cheese and fruit as the side items. Lots of ladies who lunched chose this option.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I just wanted to add...

My program has crackers in the book. Even though my Dr and Nutritionist explicitly said not to eat those kinds of things.

I got the feeling in my nutrition class pre-op they just include this stuff because if they didn't some people would never have surgery and they are kinda playing roulette on people not being able to tolerate it and they will do Protein first and not have the room. WLS is a business now at the end of the day.

That is just my opinion. A lot things I was told not to eat are allowed in the booklet, but I was told specifically to be successful not to eat these things. I know why people are confused. It is because the information is all over the place.

EXCEPT STRAWS!!! Straws are universal death! Just kidding, but straws seem to be the one common evil.

YES on straws. LOL! I agree, I think there is some degree of cushioning going on because yeah, a lot of people would be turned off of surgery if they're told there's "comfort foods" they can just never have...but I bet it's more centrist than either thing gives off. "Yes, you can have those foods, but since they are pretty counter productive to weight loss and typically are higher in calories and thus harder to counter-act with exercise, we don't recommend partaking often."

I know that was one thing I went into it questioning. I didn't want to have to baby my diet for the rest of my life (since I'm 19 that'd be a long time of playing super-health-freak with my diet). I asked if most foods are tolerable after surgery and they said for most people, yes, but just be aware of the less than desirable foods and limit them.

Plus there's some foods I really should be eating for my transplant (like dairy, cheese is a good example - even fatty cheeses -- I need good phosphorus intake) because there's nutrients I really need that my transplanted kidney loves and needs, whereas my bariatric needs say "I don't prefer that".

I think it's really all a balancing act. If you can handle it and be mature about it and tackle your problem foods, I think it's OK to have them once in a while as long as you are generally moving towards much healthier options.

Ahh I will never eat crackers (all brands) again when I have my surgery, I believe I'll stay away from my food Devils.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Understandable. I know there's a lot of people on this forum who recognize there are certain foods that they specifically overindulge in and others just overindulged in general. I just overindulged in general so I don't believe I have any "trigger foods" as I've heard it been called. I'm going on the presumption that my sleeve will help me Portion Control. Obviously I'll learn as I progress if there are foods that I am just not mature enough to handle responsibly. :)