Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I get myself to go to the gym??? I'm too embarrassed.

I still feel selfconscious walking down the street. I still strongly feel that I take up too much room in a crowded elevator (I work on the 40th floor of a building).

[derail] Julie, you just made me realize something. I'm hoping very much to go back to working in the city soon, and though I never thought about it if I DO get it I'll be commuting and navigating the city streets as a much thinner person than I was. I foresee a whole new set of NSVs!! [/derail]

Worrying about what we look like exercising is fairly common. I had issues with putting on my swim suit and riding my bike too...then I thought...Hmmm, did I care how I looked to others when I piled my plate at the buffet???? Well, sure I cared, but I managed to do it...because I WANTED IT more than I cared about what "they" thought. So, I decided I wanted to be fit more than I cared about what "I thought" others thought. It's a struggle...but dang it, you're worth it...overcome that fear...it will be a victory with many benefits :)

I know its hard to get started especially when were over weight but I promise it is the best thing for you. You will see more results and faster. I was banded Jan 15, 07, started at 259 and now I am 165. I walk 5 days a week, just a steady pace and I lift weights 3 days a week, moderately. Muscle helps burn fat. When I walk I listen to my ipod and block out everything around me I have felt the same way you do. Hope everything goes good for you.

I personally would rather see an overweight person at the gym rather than destroying their life at a restaurant or other place. Who cares, you are doing this for you not them, right?

The gym isn't a fashion show. Wear something comfortable and GO. Why let other peoples possible thoughts or looks in your direction stop you from reaching your goal even faster? Don't let that stop you.

The more I go the more I get "Great job! You're looking GREAT!" from complete strangers. You'll get the same. Do this for YOU!

I wear black crop leggings and a baggy T-shirt. I take OFF my makeup 'cause nothing is worse than sweat AND mascara in your eyes. You can imagine what a beautiful sight I am when I'm leaving that place...but, by then, I'm so tired (but feel GREAT) I don't give a hoot.

Man, I would LOVE to hear "You're looking GREAT" from a complete stranger at the gym. That would totally make my week! :biggrin1:

Terri.

Pretend I am a complete stranger at your gym.

"YOU LOOK GREAT AND ARE DOING SOOOOO GOOD!"

You really are doing good. I still love the new avatar and still can't believe that and the first one you had are the same person!!!

Deanna

I go to a gym that has mostly beautiful women. At first I was scared to go there but it is the nicest gym that i have even seen soo i decided to join it. well the women there are so supportive and helpful. I love taking classes and they encourage me and are all so nice. People can really surprise you. Give it a try.

Terri.

Pretend I am a complete stranger at your gym.

"YOU LOOK GREAT AND ARE DOING SOOOOO GOOD!"

You really are doing good. I still love the new avatar and still can't believe that and the first one you had are the same person!!!

Deanna

YOU are my new best friend!!! :)

I don't usually worry about what other people think at the gym, but then I go at 3am when there's hardly anyone there. (I'm a sleep tech so I'm always up at night, even on my days off). But on the occasions when I go during the day, I often will put on my headphones and close my eyes when I'm on the elliptical machine, and just kindof imagine all the good things I'm doing for my body .

I'll be banded in a month, so I'm looking forward to the day when i can go to the gym, jump into any class, swim, whatever, without wondering what other people think.

We're all in (or have been in) the same boat!!!

Do not ever be embarrassed about yourself. You made the step to improve yourself and no one should stop you. If someone does not like the way you look, then they can just go somewhere else! I have been heavy for a very long time, and I have finally gotten to the point that no one else matters but your true friends and family, they will love you no matter what. Everyone else can go jump off a cliff!

ok first of all, youre the one that will be out there working your butt off (litterly) and you shouldnt be embarrassed. you cares if they have an issue? they havnt gone though half the things you have to get this band. and i have to be in a swim suit... yes a swim suit everyday. but guess what, ive only had one fill that was last thursday (not yesterday, the thursday before) and because of my swim practice i have already lost 9 lbs! in oone week! so dont be embarrassed... its just a small step towards a new life

No One Cares, they are not looking

At the gym that I go to most people are really focussed on themselves. They are trying there best to get in a good workout, listening to music or watching TV. I am sure they are thinking about work issues, there own family, taking the car for an oil change etc. The new fat chick at the gym is not on there radar. You are not important to them. In fact if you see them 30 minutes later at Starbucks and say hello, they will stare at you blankly or say hello back just to be polite. They will not even recognize you.

Thats what I believe, and I'm sticking to it!!

:star:I felt the same way when I first joined the YMCA. My first visits were very intimidating. I would walk the indoor track and look thru the windows into the equipment room wishing I could work up the nerve to go in. I had my Mom go with me one evening and she helped me get the nerve up to walk into the equipment room and jump on the bicycles. (Which were right near the door!) Just having a buddy that first time or two really helped me. It wasn't long until I made a lot of friends just using the bikes. (I can start a conversation with anyone!) I then progressed to the treadmills. I do a little on the weights but are saving them for post-op when I really want to start sculpting my body!! So, my advice is to just slowly introduce yourself to different equipment in the Y. Take a buddy for the first few times. I have found everyone at my Y to be very friendly and supportive. It has really been a life saver for me. It gets me out of the house and into a social setting. I joined in April and I have made so many friends that I look forward to going every day!! Don't worry about how you look. No one is perfect. I honestly feel people are more apt to support you than to judge you. I mean, hey, you could be sitting home on the couch watching TV and eating bon-bons! Give yourself a big pat on the back and a bunch of praise each time you go. You're doing this for you and nobody else. You can do it!!!:wave:

I joined Snap Fitness about a month ago. The first 3 months I worked out at home with exercise dvds. Part of that was b/c I was afraid to workout in public but mostly I was afraid I didn't have the endurance for a gym. Anyways, Snap is great. It is 24/7 and a large portion of the members are 40+ so I don't feel funny like I think I would at a Rush Fitness with tons of 20 somethings I would compare my body to. Snap is also great because on the weekends and early mornings I am working out by myself, so no one has to know if I am looking bad, but if I can toot my own horn---I am looking pretty good these days (at least by comparison to 4 months ago).

There are SOME days when I'm NOT the fattest person at the gym any more...and if I see someone my size working out, I ALWAYS think...YOU ROCK! I have to say that most people at the gym are so into their own thing that if YOU focus on YOUR OWN THING...it will get easier. PLUS, the more you go, the more comfortable you will feel! Start small...set a goal to go 3x this week. Do it and reward yourself with a new shirt or shorts that FIT you. Do the same next week...and I'll bet in two weeks you will feel comfortable going to the gym!!! IT DOES GET EASIER!!!