Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know everyone's surgeon/nutritionist's post op/lifetime eating plans are different. I see most folks are told to eat 3 meals plus Snacks in between and second most popular seems to be ~6 small meals a day. My plan is 3 meals a day no snacks and to only supplement Protein with Protein Shakes if need be, not on the regular. I admittedly have been having snacks in between meals like a cheese stick or something strictly high protein, everything I consume has protein, no empty calories. I cannot fathom how to get the required protein in only three post-op sleeve size meals a day. The only way I can imagine is if you eat something every meal that you add Protein Powder to. My manual even states that at the point I am now I should be able to get in all the required protein through food alone. I say BS if you aren't allowed a snack in between. I was curious if anyone else has this type of plan and what you think, even more curious if you follow it and how you do it? I am still losing and just had my first stall the past two weeks which broke this week, even during my LB stall I was still losing circumference so I know I'm doing OK I guess I want reinforcement. My surgeon's office also said they expect their patients to eat 600-800 (which is where I'm at) calories a day and after everything I've been reading and from this forum I think that is wrong. It seems the most successful of the bunch are into the 1000 cal/100gms protein range. My surgeon and his handiwork are excellent and I'm very pleased, but the nutritionist and bariatric nurse I feel are not progressive sticking with older ideals. I didn't go through this and pay all this money to have a couple of thin years then not be able to keep it off because I can't stick to starving myself! Just a little frustrated!! =/

@@doppelganger

This is one of the harder topics here because in theory everyone should follow their doctors orders, but like you said some doctors seem to cling to old ideals. I think a lot of plans are made in a way to try and break people of bad habits.

Personally I have never been a snacker, I got fat eating 1 or 2 massive meals a day. So eating several time a day is a huge change for me from the past. It prevents over eating and keeps me satisfied all day.

I often wonder if the people that come up with these plans understand math. A person would have to consume 20 grams of Protein per meal to get the bare minimum amount of Protein a human needs to exist just eating 3 times a day. That is basically impossible to do just with food in 20-30 minutes until about 6 months, longer for some people.

I have 5 -6 small meals a day now because I need more calories to keep losing weight. I had 4 meals early on, eating 100 to 200 calories per meal.

You have to do what works for you in the end. My program was pretty open, protein first, avoid the usual carbs, and once I was mostly healed I just went back to eating Keto.

Good luck.

I know everyone's surgeon/nutritionist's post op/lifetime eating plans are different. I see most folks are told to eat 3 meals plus Snacks in between and second most popular seems to be ~6 small meals a day. My plan is 3 meals a day no snacks and to only supplement Protein with Protein Shakes if need be, not on the regular. I admittedly have been having snacks in between meals like a cheese stick or something strictly high protein, everything I consume has protein, no empty calories. I cannot fathom how to get the required protein in only three post-op sleeve size meals a day. The only way I can imagine is if you eat something every meal that you add Protein Powder to. My manual even states that at the point I am now I should be able to get in all the required protein through food alone. I say BS if you aren't allowed a snack in between. I was curious if anyone else has this type of plan and what you think, even more curious if you follow it and how you do it? I am still losing and just had my first stall the past two weeks which broke this week, even during my LB stall I was still losing circumference so I know I'm doing OK I guess I want reinforcement. My surgeon's office also said they expect their patients to eat 600-800 (which is where I'm at) calories a day and after everything I've been reading and from this forum I think that is wrong. It seems the most successful of the bunch are into the 1000 cal/100gms protein range. My surgeon and his handiwork are excellent and I'm very pleased, but the nutritionist and bariatric nurse I feel are not progressive sticking with older ideals. I didn't go through this and pay all this money to have a couple of thin years then not be able to keep it off because I can't stick to starving myself! Just a little frustrated!! =/

My program focuses on protein, not number of meals or even calories. My goal is to get at least 100 grams of protein a day. That would be impossible without eating small meals and snacks.

My plan is, I guess, old fashioned -- 3 small meals a day, no snacking other than Protein Shakes. I followed my plan and I did not starve! I lost over 200 lbs and met my goal. No, I could not have met my Protein goals without protein shakes, I had a couple each day.

OP, I would suggest sitting down with your dietitian and laying out exactly where your challenges are. Spell out:

--I can only eat 2 ounces of solid protein at a meal

--If I devote all my meals to nothing but meat, I still end up with only 60 grams of protein per day

--Therefore in order to meet my protein goals, I either have to eat another small meal, a couple of Snacks, or regularly drink protein shakes. What do you think I should do?

Good luck!

Thank you all for your advice, I posted this question while waiting on a response to an email addressing my concerns from my nutritionist. She said to stick with the three meals a day and supplement Protein with Protein Water like Atkins Lift. I guess I'll try that, I did try Isopure and it triggers my gag reflex just thinking about it... *big sigh* She did say snacking can keep you in the grazing mindset and impede weight loss and I am/was a grazer. She also mentioned that the body can only absorb 30gms of protein over a 4 hour period and not to try for 100gms of protein for risk of kidney damage down the line if you can't stay super hydrated. @@Bufflehead Glad to hear this plan works! You would think though that these surgery centers who are accredited under the same banner of "Bariatric Center of Excellence" would have similar guidelines, that at some point there would be a "Best Practice" for post-op eating guidelines. Right now they run the gamut.

@@doppelganger IsoPUKE is the worst! I did manage to gag it down if I cut it 50/50 with a similar flavor of something like G2 or Powerade Zero, that made it tolerable.

I have heard really good things about Atkins Lift drinks but I have not tried them myself.

Best wishes going forward.

Protein2O Water is good, at least the coconut flavor is delicious. It tastes like Syntrax Nectar. Which is something else you can try, they come in lots of flavors.

@@OutsideMatchInside, where did you find Protein20 Water? I haven't seen that one...thank you.

@@Montana Gal

It just showed up at my local grocery store in the cooler by the door last week. I think they will be more places soon since they are relaunching the brand. I know when they first came out they were sold at Walmarts.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

@@Montana Gal

It just showed up at my local grocery store in the cooler by the door last week. I think they will be more places soon since they are relaunching the brand. I know when they first came out they were sold at Walmarts.

Thank you, I will keep my eye out for it!