Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My story doesn't have a happy ending.

I had lap band surgery in October of 2012. From the beginning, it was nothing but trouble. I followed my instructions to the letter, so this was a band failure. Not a surgeon failure, not my failure.

In almost a year and a half, I never hit the sweet spot. The band was either too loose, or too tight. I threw up every time I ate. I could not eat the things I was supposed to eat. No meat, no eggs, no vegetables, no fruit. Basically if it wasn't in liquid form, it came back up.

Having food get stuck is unpleasant. Productive burps are unpleasant. No matter how well I chewed, everything got stuck. It got to the point where I was eating all the stuff I wasn't supposed to eat, because I couldn't get anything else to go down. I didn't lose any weight. Not an ounce, with the exception of the pre-op diet, and the couple of weeks after surgery where I survived on liquids.

The final straw for me was being in the bathroom, violently vomiting, with my two small children standing outside the bathroom door, crying, because it sounded like mommy was dying. Plus, I didn't want them to think that vomiting after eating was the norm. That's not a healthy thing to teach children.

My band came out in March of 2014. Best decision I made, regarding the band. I'm having revision to gastric bypass done, later this year. My surgeons are now trying to steer people away from the band, and are more focused on Sleeve and Bypass. I, personally, would not recommend the band, although I do know people who are happy with theirs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

So sorry to hear your experience has been so poor with the band. I'm one of the ones who've done well with it. Glad to hear that you are revising to bypass. Am hoping you will be able to change the title of this post to 'My Story HAS a Happy Ending'. Good luck!

sorry your experience was not good. I am one of the many successful bandsters. The Lapband was the best decision I ever made ..It saved me from a life of poor health. at the age of 66 I made the leap to weight loss surgery after many years of failed diets and gimmicks I was a diabetic and had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. My mobility was getting limited every day. I am always sad to see such drastic post about any of the weight loss surgeries but, I am in hopes your issues will be resolved with bypass surgery. There are many failures in each type of weight loss surgery so that being said, there are still plenty of surgeons who will and do perform lapband .

sorry your experience was not good. I am one of the many successful bandsters. The Lapband was the best decision I ever made ..It saved me from a life of poor health. at the age of 66 I made the leap to weight loss surgery after many years of failed diets and gimmicks I was a diabetic and had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. My mobility was getting limited every day. I am always sad to see such drastic post about any of the weight loss surgeries but, I am in hopes your issues will be resolved with bypass surgery. There are many failures in each type of weight loss surgery so that being said, there are still plenty of surgeons who will and do perform lapband .

I wouldn't say it was a drastic post, but it was certainly truthful. I'm glad you had good luck with your band. I didn't. I didn't see a heading stating I was only allowed to tell my story if it was positive. I believe in presenting both sides. I wish I had seen a post like mine before my band, so I knew the good, bad, and ugly, and could have made a more informed choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App