Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Boobs are a pain in the....

I have been getting mammograms and ultrasounds on my breasts for the past ten years (sometimes twice per year). There are always cysts which are NOT masses so NOT cancer and I am fine with that. I have tested negative for both BRCA I and BRCA II. I have had one biopsy and yesterday I had an MRI.

Now, they are questioning the same spot they biopsied two years ago! I want to scream. I don't know if anyone of you have ever gone through this, but it is disruptive and upsetting all at once. Every time I get a call about my breasts I panic, even if it's only slightly. "What if this time they find something?" "What if they didn't catch something and I end up dying like my sister did?"

Way too many thoughts run through my head and I try so hard to just be calm and tell myself I'm not going to do anything until I get the results. But if I'm always getting results (because of so many freaking tests), I'm always on alert. I realize that it's nothing to joke about or fool around with, but there has to be some sort of end game, doesn't there?

I'm frustrated and I am thinking of just having a mastectomy. At least that will cut down on a lot of what I have to go through. :) I'm only kidding, but still. It sounds good.

Honestly, it doesn't sound good at all. It is understandable, though, given your sister's experience and the abundance of exams you go in for.

Saying something dopey like "Chin up" is, well, dopey, so I'll say "Rant and rave your ass off any time."

@@Stillmissing Hang in there! They're being overly cautious. I know the constant worry. This past year every time I went for a test it showed a problem elsewhere. I had a CT of my kidneys/abdomen which showed a lung nodule. I would not even know about it if didn't go to check kidneys. Now I get a CT scan every 6 months to monitor it. It's frightening. Good luck on further testing.

Ugh! How frustrating! I have had the fibrocystic masses and had needle biopsies twice (and sonograms on several occasions). It is very scary! I have history in my family too (maternal grandmother and maternal aunt) so it scares me every time you get a call back! And funny enough, I wondered if when I get my breast lift / breast augmentation if they can just remove all of my breast tissue! Good news is, the mammograms get easier as you lose weight. (Be sure to tell them you have lost significant weight when you go in as it can make a difference to the radiologist reading the films.) I am sorry you are going through this. Will be thinking of you! Let us know how it goes!

I can understand the fear, although fortunately for now I don't have to go through this. I had a fibroadenoma when I was in my mid-20's, which I had never heard of. I was completely freaked out when I found it, and while a mammogram showed it was fine, I haven't forgotten the terror. My grandmother died of breast cancer and while it isn't in my family anywhere else, there is still the paranoia.

When I had a breast lift and augment my doctor scooped out all the lumps, biopsied the big one, and now I have no more issues. I have big fake no-more-lumpy boobies. This is not only far less stressful for me, even though I still get annual ultrasounds and mammograms, but even my OBGYN as very happy because she's no longer concerned about the random lumps that used to be all over the place. From what I can tell I had a lot of breast tissue removed and then replaces with the implants, which seems to have very much minimized my issues. I'm not sure if that would be effective for you, but it was very helpful for me.

I have been getting mammograms and ultrasounds on my breasts for the past ten years (sometimes twice per year). There are always cysts which are NOT masses so NOT cancer and I am fine with that. I have tested negative for both BRCA I and BRCA II. I have had one biopsy and yesterday I had an MRI.

Now, they are questioning the same spot they biopsied two years ago! I want to scream. I don't know if anyone of you have ever gone through this, but it is disruptive and upsetting all at once. Every time I get a call about my breasts I panic, even if it's only slightly. "What if this time they find something?" "What if they didn't catch something and I end up dying like my sister did?"

Way too many thoughts run through my head and I try so hard to just be calm and tell myself I'm not going to do anything until I get the results. But if I'm always getting results (because of so many freaking tests), I'm always on alert. I realize that it's nothing to joke about or fool around with, but there has to be some sort of end game, doesn't there?

I'm frustrated and I am thinking of just having a mastectomy. At least that will cut down on a lot of what I have to go through. :) I'm only kidding, but still. It sounds good.

Many women (and some men) actually do decide to have bilateral mastectomies when there is a history of breast CA in their families.

I've read that those who chose this path say that. the fear and anxiety over whether breast CA was in their own future was unbearable. Having their breasts removed relieved all of that and let them live a much more peaceful life.

Just a thought...

Soo sorry that you have had to endure your struggles. Best thoughts for your future. Rant to us anytime, my friend.

There is a nurse I work with and she tested positive for the certain gene mutation, she is having a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery hopefully between now and end of august she is only 37

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

@@Stillmissing it sucks that we get scared hearing the "need to come back" message. I have been there and done that. I swear my left breast has been flattened as thin as a pizza crust.

I love "the take a deep breath and don't move" (where am I going to go???) the radiologist tells you as you are on your tip toes, your 38g breast smashed and tears rolling down your eyes.

@@jane13,

Right? I can't breathe, my boob is burning like a wildfire because I think one of my cysts burst and you are telling me that I'm doing great. Of course I am! You are still alive!

I am just tired of doing it, then having the ultrasound, then having them freak me out even more with more and more tests that ALWAYS show nothing. I have a feeling that this one will also show nothing.