Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need a Monster Energy drink

Not really. I've never actually drank one, even before surgery. I do, however, really need some advice on my low energy level. Most of the time, I am just so exhausted and I feel like I'm failing at so many things at the moment. I keep forgetting to do things, I've dropped the ball and let people down several times this week, I'm grumpy and irritable with my kids, and I really want to sleep. Like a lot.

I'm only 6 weeks post op, so I know my body is still recovering. I've mostly been happy since surgery, with no regrets, although part of me is now regretting doing this right before the kids started summer break. They're driving me crazy. I regularly exceed both my Fluid and Protein goals, and I take the required Vitamins. My daily average is about 65oz of fluids, 75g of Protein, and 900 calories. I haven't had any significant problems since surgery, just this lack of energy. And it feels like it's gotten worse this week. My husband says not to worry about it so much and to cut myself some slack. He suggests it's probably due to the heat, even though I'm mostly staying in the air conditioned house.

Perhaps this is completely normal, but I think I'm just needing to vent and could use a little support and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

No, not on any blood pressure meds. It was quite low at my last appointment though, and I'm lightheaded and faint every time I stand. Maybe it's worth revisiting with my doctor.

You may need some B12 but talk to your dr

So go drink one. :) I clicked on your post because I'm drinking sugar free Red Bull at the moment and it is my daily morning wake me up drink, so I figured I'd encourage someone else to drink one too.

Past that, the other replies are accurate. Get your labs checked. B12 deficiency contributes to anemia which contributes to your red blood cells not being able to carry as much oxygen, which then causes your organs to not have enough O2 and then, voila, you are tired and feel like crap. It is also possible that you are just tired because you're recovering from a major surgery, a different type of eating and exercise. I remember being tired around that time. There have also been a few times since where for a week or two I have just felt exhausted. The first few times it happened I thought there was something wrong with me, except then I felt fine again fairly quickly. Earlier this year I had about 2-3 weeks where I felt like death- not sick just so fatigued I felt like I couldn't function. I had a regularly scheduled doctors appt and my PCP is awesome so I requested and he approved a CBC, a nutrition panel and a thyroid panel- everything was fine. I started taking Vitamins regularly including the Iron supplement I probably don't need but I take it anyway and I've been fine. About two weeks ago I had another batch of labs done because hey, I pay insurance why not make them pay for something to, and all my labs were fine.

So...moral of that long story about labs...I am almost 3 years out from surgery and there are times I feel super tired too. In the end everything is always fine and sometimes it's just a matter of giving ourselves a break for a few days. I slept 8.5 hours last night, which is epic long for me and the longest I've slept in weeks, and I woke up feeling like a new woman. So, check your lab work to make sure you aren't deficient in anything and then if not, give yourself a break. Sometimes our body just needs us to to be a little nice to it so it can catch up a little bit.

Not really. I've never actually drank one, even before surgery. I do, however, really need some advice on my low energy level. Most of the time, I am just so exhausted and I feel like I'm failing at so many things at the moment. I keep forgetting to do things, I've dropped the ball and let people down several times this week, I'm grumpy and irritable with my kids, and I really want to sleep. Like a lot.

I'm only 6 weeks post op, so I know my body is still recovering. I've mostly been happy since surgery, with no regrets, although part of me is now regretting doing this right before the kids started summer break. They're driving me crazy. I regularly exceed both my Fluid and Protein goals, and I take the required Vitamins. My daily average is about 65oz of fluids, 75g of Protein, and 900 calories. I haven't had any significant problems since surgery, just this lack of energy. And it feels like it's gotten worse this week. My husband says not to worry about it so much and to cut myself some slack. He suggests it's probably due to the heat, even though I'm mostly staying in the air conditioned house.

Perhaps this is completely normal, but I think I'm just needing to vent and could use a little support and advice.

Seems pretty normally for 6 weeks out with the summer heat and carrying for kids.

At 6 weeks I still tired fairly easily. If you are taking all your Vitamins and getting in 900 calories you seem on track. I wasn't hitting 900 calories that early on and my protein was a little higher.

A lot of people suffer brain dog at that point. I'm not sure checking your labs and spending $1000 on medical tests is worth it this early out.

Also, add cold brew or low acid coffee to your diet

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

STARBUCKS HAS A EXPRESSO DRINK WITH Protein AND ITS REALLY GOOD AND HAS 20 GRAMS OF PROTEIN

It could be a Vitamin issue. For example B12. If your taking it using a time release tablet instead of a subliminal tablet or if you are taking the wrong type of B12 (it should be methylcobalamin). But I don't think that is the problem in your case.

The clue is in the symptoms that you described. Low blood pressure reading, tired, lightheaded, fainting. Some patients after weight loss surgery develop a condition called "reactive hypoglycemia". Here is a link. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-answers/reactive-hypoglycemia/faq-20057778 and another link http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/060415p48tip.shtml

If this is the cause, you want to become aware of the problem and the simple steps that need to be taken before it progresses to passing out.

I had felt this way too and found products that I love!!! All natural drink mixes that give you all that you need to be awake and alert without caffeine or the crash! This product changed my life and I think will help a lot of other patients. I actually was sleeping on my lunch breaks and slept through a meeting one day several months after my surgery. My co-workers knew where I was and figured I needed the sleep more than the meeting. Ouch! I was a walking zombie. I started the lights on drink and didn't yawn again for 6 weeks!!! Here is the link. www.dynamaxx.com/tpaterson They are yummy too so helps with the Water intake!

Edited by terri82much

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the recommendations. I'm going to add B12 to my daily routine and give it another week or two. If it's still a problem then, 2 months post op, I'll definitely get in to see my doc.

STARBUCKS HAS A EXPRESSO DRINK WITH Protein AND ITS REALLY GOOD AND HAS 20 GRAMS OF Protein

Those little canned sugar bombs ????

They do taste great but have a high amount of sugar. Be warned.

You know, I haven't had any caffeine in over two months. Except maybe a glass of iced tea on rare occasions. I'm definitely not a caffeine junkie. Maybe I should be!

I just went to Vitamin Cottage to pick up a few things to try, and I got some B12 while there. I find Vitamins to be very confusing. There are so many different brands and concentrations and combinations. There was B12 with Folic Acid, and B12 without. pills and liquids and dissolvable. And apparently even different kinds of B12. Here is the one I chose. Any reason I should have chosen a different option?

post-292343-14666265598428_thumb.jpg