Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FDA finally approves AspireAssist

@@Guineakitty I've read too that a person can keep this in place for the rest of their life if they want, is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

That I will ask about I was told 5 years but I know some want it longer.

I don't want to be negative but I am skeptical. It is not always easy being a WLS patient. We all know that! The general public is uneducated and very negative towards us. So please don't take my comments as personal to any one aspire patient. It must be tough knowing people that re-routed their intestines and had 80% of their stomachs removed are not rejoicing the FDAs approval of aspire. But we are seeing this journey from the other side, we have done our research and are living this journey. We know RNY and VSG are tools and only ones with long term success made a mental change, got therapy for binge eating, truly learned new eating habits. So first question how is this changing you mentally and making you relearn how to eat? Do you see therapists and NUTs and if you do will that be the standard of care for everyone or just this study group. Second question, most lapband patients that have the device removed regain all their weight. Same with balloons patients. What happens when the aspire device is removed? Remember lapband patients did have NUTs and restriction to help them change their eating and still gain their weight back. So what will make this temporary device different? Third FDA has a long history of approving devices without long term success. Are you concerned about rejection and infection? I am 7 months post op and pass as a normal person in every way. I wear what ever I want, doesn't the port restrict you? Also what about restaurants and parties.... Do you go to the restroom and pump. I am curious how this impacts you socially. It at least has to be a little inconvenient? Finally I am not going to lie.... The thought of seeing stomach contents is going to be icky to a lot of people. Yes that does seem drastic to a person who had 80% of their stomach removed. Yes I am skeptical but in 5 years I hope aspire patients were right and I was wrong. Good luck and I hope someday we see you as trailblazers.

@jennyjennjen Sorry for the delayed reply Yes the FDA approved the A-tube for long term use. With that being said the tube will need to be replaced every 2 years because of natural wear and tear. I have had my tube replaced earlier this year.

@@ocgirl15 It can be icky to see the stomach contents come out I am desensitized because I worked at a nursing home and seen stuff. Over time you get use to it also and check more for volume content versus Water. As mentioned above now the person has the option of keeping the tube forever if they don't mind getting the tube replaced every few years. Socially it depends sometimes I go to flush in public washrooms but in parties I wait until I'm at home because I eat a lot and don't want to empty my stomach only to add more food. I also wait cause sometime if I eat high volumes of food breakdown takes longer so its easier to aspirate later. Mind my level of not caring is high so if I have on clothes depending on cut or material some people can see the tube but most don't until I guide them to it through my clothes. I'm not concerned about infection I keep my area clean and dry for the most part. Some subjects did have tube sensitivity and did get it removed.

I learned how to slow down my eating and to chew more which made me eat less because my brain has time to registered fullness. I have a fierce appetite so to off set calories I exercise more. I did see a dietitian the 1st year but don't need to anymore. Some of the subjects chat and exchange ideas I didn't see a therapist. That's the million dollar question will the weight stay off... I believe it will but it will take work. The person will need to keep track of the calories and exercise. I keep in contact with other subjects for support. I hope this answers your questions if not ask me more! :-)

@@JennyJennJen

Good luck to you with this approach. It is not something that I would choose for myself but to each his/her own.

I did want to ensure that you understand that you can always enjoy the "yummier" foods as you call it with bypass or sleeve. You simply only find yourself wanting to indulge once in a while and very small portions.

I honestly eat what ever I want at this stage being 21 months post op. The funny thing is, because the first year of my post op I built really great eating habits I simply don't want what I used to think was yummy.

For example.....I used to eat out at least once per day and a lot of that was fast food that I thought was delicious. I used to eat a lot of candy and sweets and junk food for that same reason.

I still find that there are foods that I love and can have but for the most part my body craves healthy Protein, delicious vegetables and succulent fruits.

Had I not built those excellent behaviors during that first year, I probably would still be a malnourished obese person like I was.

I was 5'10" 310lbs and yes, I was malnourished among other things.

Now I am 5'10" and 161lbs and I wear a size 8! I have a closet full of beautiful clothes, food has become not so important in my life anymore and I am so thankful for it!

I truly mean the best of luck for you. I just know without these major life changes I would not have been successful and I know that if I tried something like the aspire assist I would not have gotten here.

@@JennyJennJenGood luck to you with this approach. It is not something that I would choose for myself but to each his/her own.I did want to ensure that you understand that you can always enjoy the "yummier" foods as you call it with bypass or sleeve. You simply only find yourself wanting to indulge once in a while and very small portions.I honestly eat what ever I want at this stage being 21 months post op. The funny thing is, because the first year of my post op I built really great eating habits I simply don't want what I used to think was yummy.For example.....I used to eat out at least once per day and a lot of that was fast food that I thought was delicious. I used to eat a lot of candy and sweets and junk food for that same reason.I still find that there are foods that I love and can have but for the most part my body craves healthy Protein, delicious vegetables and succulent fruits.Had I not built those excellent behaviors during that first year, I probably would still be a malnourished obese person like I was.I was 5'10" 310lbs and yes, I was malnourished among other things.Now I am 5'10" and 161lbs and I wear a size 8! I have a closet full of beautiful clothes, food has become not so important in my life anymore and I am so thankful for it!I truly mean the best of luck for you. I just know without these major life changes I would not have been successful and I know that if I tried something like the aspire assist I would not have gotten here.

Yes. I was sleeved 10 months ago and still enjoy my favorite foods. Hamburgers, pizza, cake, ice cream...i go to restaurants when I want. I get yummy drinks at Starbucks. I just watch my portions

@@Guineakitty I've read too that a person can keep this in place for the rest of their life if they want, is this true?

That I will ask about I was told 5 years but I know some want it longer.

If it's anything like a standard feeding tube, it would need to be replaced occasionally.

The details are not helping.

I can't think of any way to interpret this passage as anything other than mechanically assisted bulimia:

"... sometimes I go to flush in public washrooms but in parties I wait until I'm at home because I eat a lot and don't want to empty my stomach only to add more food."

I'm happy for anyone who has had success with this but the more I learn about it the more ot sounds like a bad idea. Yes some people who are willing to make a lifestyle change will succeed, but I still think people will abuse this. I think they will see this as an excuse to binge like crazy then just purge their stomach contents

Aspire Assist is not Mechanical Bulimia it only takes a portion of food out of your stomach. If you use the device for binge and purge you will fail because you will gain weight. You still will absorb 2/3 of what you have eaten with each cycle of aspiration. Those calories will add up causing weight gain and if your stomach gets bigger it will strain the tube causing you discomfort if not out right pain. If you use the device too much it will not work because with over usage it will stop you from connecting to your body as well. The mind set of using the device for binge purge is setting you up for failure. I mindless eat at parties so I leave my device at home to prevent myself from flushing then 1or 2 hours later eating more. I know me so I leave it at home so not to set myself up for failure. Some people can flush at parties and will not eat more that is good for them they have better self management than me. I will say with any type of diet or lifestyle change you need the proper mind set. I never saw Aspire as Mechanical Bulimia I saw it as a tool to rid my body of waste.If you just see the device as a way to binge and purge it is not for you.