Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I'm Victoria and I'm 40, living in Mississippi, and three days until surgery! Excited and nervous! I discovered BariatricPal about a week ago and I'm thankful to have this resource.

My struggle with obesity didn't really begin until I went to college. Growing up, i was fairly average sized, and when puberty hit I did struggle with more weight, but not to an obesity level. When I went to college, had to fend for myself (i.e. shop and cook and make good choices in the dining room LOL) and then got homesick, the weight started piling on.

After a marriage and then divorce, I was trying to juggle being a single parent, going back to school, and working. Long story really condensed, I made it to about 300 pounds and my weight kind of stayed around that mark.

For about 17 years, I've been around that weight. I've done so many diets and failed at them that I literally felt defeated and kind of "what's the point" these past two years.

Of course you can't be 150 pounds overweight for that long and not feel the effects. First came the high blood pressure. Went on one medicine. Worked for a while, then it got worse. Now I'm on three different medications to control it. In the meantime, I went from pre-diabetic to diabetic. I had always had issues with blood sugar, even at a healthy weight. I would have hypoglycemic episdoes (diabetes runs in my mother's family). I went on different medicines to control it...I guarantee I have been on pretty much every non-insulin diabetic drug out there, since I couldn't tolerate metformin. About a year or two ago, my A1C went to 9.8 and my internist basically said he didn't know how to treat it and I needed to see an endocrinologist.

The endo wasted no time in telling me I needed to be on insulin. I cried. Definitely a breaking point for me.

When it came to the surgery, my first thoughts about it were "Wow, that is so dang drastic." Seriously drastic. How could you choose to do that?

Then as time went on and my diets failed and my health declined, "Hmmm. I wonder if I could do it."

Then after the insulin, I realized that if I didn't do the surgery, I might not be around in ten years. Huge wake up call. All of a sudden, the drastic measure was looking like the best chance I had.

I began the process back in October and now my surgery is in 3 days. I am blessed with a supportive family and I have several coworkers who have had it. Two had it this past spring.

I'm nervous--lots of whatifs in my head--but mostly just so ready for a healthier me!

Good for you!

After surgery (once they take out the iv).. and you see your blood sugar numbers going down and down.. it'll all be worth it! :) I'm so rooting for you! You've got this!

@@magoosmom I started with the same stats, pretty close, and I am 13 years older. You can do this.

!

Hi magoosmom, I had my surgery 9 days ago. I had been overweight most of my life starting right after school thinking I can always loose later. Since this was my first surgery I was scared beyond belief but after having a stent in October I knew I need to do something.

Right now, I would not change a thing,

I've lost 20lbs since and the pain is seamless knowing my life is going to get better. I'm still in phase 1 and I have no desire to eat like I did. I know there will be times, but I am so close to next size down in clothes, I'm excited.

Prior to the operation, I took 3 types of medicine for diabetes. Since the operation, I have taken two shots of insulin and the other meds have been discontinued.

I am rooting for you and I support your efforts as I was also supported. You can do this and know your troubles out of the park!

Lonnie

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you everyone! I'm excited about possibly coming off my medications and getting so healthy! And also excited for weight loss in general after all this time LOL.

I really appreciate the support!

Thank you everyone! I'm excited about possibly coming off my medications and getting so healthy! And also excited for weight loss in general after all this time LOL.

I really appreciate the support!

Not a problem doll! I'm excited for you as well. :) Mine is on the 25th of July and I'm excited and ready for the change. How are things going for you now?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery from your surgery. You will be so glad you did this