Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soft food to 'real food' ideas

I was sleeved on May 15 so I'm very nearly 4 weeks post op. At 16 days post op Dr said I could start on soft foods and then a week after that on 'real foods'. I began but had trouble and progress went a little backwards ie. I could barely drink or eat. I went to the dr and he said it happens sometimes and it could be spasms so he gave me some medication and that everyone progresses differently. I've only been able to eat one square of cream cheese and a yoghurt a day with very little fluids. I tried scrambled egg but it didnt sit well. I was able to have two teaspoons of mashed potatoes and carrots at one point. I had to go back to work 2 weeks post op so obviously with a long work day and very little fluids im been feeling very weak. Did anyone else experience this?

Suddenly yesterday I was able to have an evening 'meal' and drink a lot more in the last 2 days. I'm excited this might mean I'm ready to eat and drink better. I want to be able to get more Protein in rather than depend on dairy. Can anyone help give me some food ideas for the soft food to real food phase? I paid for the surgery myself and I'm not in the US so do not have access to a nutrionist. Just wanted some ideas to keep me going.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G928C using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved on May 10th, so I'm just a few days ahead of you. Fish is really sitting well with me right now. I've especially been enjoying tuna and salmon. I'll cook up some fillets, or I'll make a tuna salad with some light mayo. I also really like the ricotta bake (recipe on the eggface blog). And I am really loving the taste of hummus right now, even if I do have bad garlic breath. I like scrambled eggs too, but I know you said it didn't sit well for you. How well cooked was it? I tend to cook mine so they are soft, but my husband cooks them too long and then they're harder and less pleasant. Other things I've eaten include refried Beans, soft cheeses, mashed sweet potato, and avocado. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved on May 10th, so I'm just a few days ahead of you. Fish is really sitting well with me right now. I've especially been enjoying tuna and salmon. I'll cook up some fillets, or I'll make a tuna salad with some light mayo. I also really like the ricotta bake (recipe on the eggface blog). And I am really loving the taste of hummus right now, even if I do have bad garlic breath. I like scrambled eggs too, but I know you said it didn't sit well for you. How well cooked was it? I tend to cook mine so they are soft, but my husband cooks them too long and then they're harder and less pleasant. Other things I've eaten include refried Beans, soft cheeses, mashed sweet potato, and avocado. Hope that helps!

Thank you! Great ideas. About to try homous now. I'm worried about the heaviness of the chickpeas and their tendency to bloat?

Sent from my SM-G928C using the BariatricPal App

Ditto the fish comment; I could eat grilled tuna, salmon, halibut or swordfish 7 days a week. There's a Japanese restaurant in town that has a seared tuna tataki appetizer which is just the perfect size for my stomach. Soft foods... Guacamole, chill, homemade Soups (I could eat Soup the other seven days a week), French toast, crab cakes...

Fish is excellent. Another option that I use is Gene Pro Protein powder. Flavorless and 30gr per table spoon.. I add it to lots of things like Soups and eggs and tuna salad and egg salad and pinto Beans and wendys chili. You get the picture. I use it just to boost what I already do not as the sole source of Protein.

Give it a try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App