Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my goal of 125 lbs a realistic goal?

I had originally discussed with my Dr. that I really didn't have a goal weight in mind.

I just want to be healthy, which still holds true.

But now I do have a weight in my mind and it's 125.

So I'm wondering if I'm just setting myself up for failure.

well, the nice thing about a goal weight is you can change it as you get closer if you no longer feel it is right for your body! it depends so much on your frame, bone weight, how muscular do you want to be - how hard do you want to work to get there- age, just a plethora of factors.

as long as you keep your *heart* set on being healthy and not a number on the scale you will do fine. my goal is 160, which is high, 5 pounds into technically obese. but I can't honestly imagine being smaller than that. so once I get there I may very well decide to keep loosing and get smaller. I may just as easily decide it is perfect for me.

likewise if you get to 150 and decide woah, 25 pounds more and I don't know how I feel about that, you can simply change your goal! you may just as likely enjoy 150 but decide to keep going down. neither would be a wrong choice.

I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thank you so much. I'm anxious to get going. My Dr. Says it will be July but we don't have a set date yet. It seems like June is going sooooooo sloooooooow.

Do you mean you need to loose 125 or you want your weight to be 125?

Your goal will depend on a lot of things like your starting weight, your height and others.

I would like to get down to 125 lbs.

Do you mean you need to loose 125 or you want your weight to be 125?

Your goal will depend on a lot of things like your starting weight, your height and others.

I think with the DS you may be able to. I would tell you different if it was the sleeve. But be healthy and happy wherever you end up :)

And you would consider yourself a "failure" if you didn't get down to 125 pounds??

You've got a long road ahead if that's the case. I think you will be thrilled when you get under 200. You'll assess things as you go along. Sometimes our bodies have other goal weights in mind. I'm the perfect example. I would have liked to get to 135 to make it an even 100 pound loss, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get there. I've even put on 3 pounds after maintaining for almost a year that won't come off. My body has a mind of it's own sometimes. So when a someone tells you "You can take it as far as you want!" that's not always true.

Like I said, be satisfied where ever you end up as long as you're healthy and happy.

I think with the DS you may be able to. I would tell you different if it was the sleeve. But be healthy and happy wherever you end up :)

You could be equally successful with the sleeve. I have lost 175 lbs and still loosing

You could be equally successful with the sleeve. I have lost 175 lbs and still loosing

Let me know when you get to 125 pounds.

I'm a life-long fatty but for a couple glorious years I managed to get down to (and stay at) 155-160 pounds. It felt really, really good for me. I achieved this by taking dangerous diet pills, though, so that party ended for me when they were taken off the market. During that time, though, I felt good (and it wasn't just because I was on speed :lol: )

It's been 12 years since I was that slender so I may not physically be able to get that small again (I had the Lap Band so I don't have the malabsorption benefits of DS).

But it's funny, my doctor thought I was disappointed with my progress (weight loss has slowed considerably since I'm not quite at my sweet spot for restriction) and I said "Honestly, I'm very, very happy with my band so far because I've never been able to keep my weight below 285 for more than a week or two and I've managed to keep it down for 6 months so I call that a win!" He thinks I'm crazy but he's never been fat so I don't think anyone who's never had a weight problem can fully appreciate how difficult the battle against obesity can be.

I set my goal at 150 - but at my 6 month check my surgeon said that 159 would be the perfect weight for me. I was surprised because when I was younger I weighed 130 and looked great! We 'negotiated' the 159 down to 155 so I could be at a 'healthy' BMI - but to tell the truth, the closer I get to 159, the more I see that too much weight loss and I may not look as healthy. I lost a lot from my face, shoulders and legs - probably less around the stomach area (although I have lost 15 inches) - quite possibly if I go too far below 159 I will look gaunt and anorexic.

I suggest that you will probably need to re-assess your goal from time to time. I've seen folks who have lost too much and they have bones protruding all over the place. Sometimes after being overweight for so long we just want to be skinny. Skinny doesn't always equate to healthy - so bear that in mind.

Good luck with your weight loss!

As I said once before in another thread, for three years I had the goal weight on my ticker at 155 which would put me in a "normal" BMI. I revised that recently to 163 which was my lowest adult weight. But that was 40 years ago after going from 201 down to 163 on Atkins. When I saw my PCP last week she said that I don't really have any excess fat except my abdomen which is very hard to get rid of. I also don't much loose skin - just a bit in my upper thighs, below my butt cheeks & my upper arms. I have lost so much in my butt that I rock on the bones & have to sit on an inflatable or foam cushion. I see the surgeon following me in a couple of weeks & will talk to him then.

BMIs don't take age & bone structure into consideration. For now, my current weight of 175 is probably very good for me. I am thrilled that I am no longer obese & am now just "overweight." I am going to look into some type of body contouring procedure just to get rid of some of this abdominal fat.

@@Bobby'sGirl, it is more than tempting and almost impossible not to think of an ultimate number. I have no way of knowing if 125 is realistic for your chosen surgery or your temperament and psychology. If your numbers at screen left are current and you haven't even had surgery yet, would you consider 'setting yourself up' success upon success? Instead of 125 or some such, you can achieve again and again if you always have a goal of 10 or so pounds until you reach a good weight. You're off to a good start already. When you get closer to a weight that will make you happy for all time, you'll know more and can set a number then. I suppose the notion of one day at a time is woven in here.

And you would consider yourself a "failure" if you didn't get down to 125 pounds??

You've got a long road ahead if that's the case. I think you will be thrilled when you get under 200. You'll assess things as you go along. Sometimes our bodies have other goal weights in mind. I'm the perfect example. I would have liked to get to 135 to make it an even 100 pound loss, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get there. I've even put on 3 pounds after maintaining for almost a year that won't come off. My body has a mind of it's own sometimes. So when a someone tells you "You can take it as far as you want!" that's not always true.

Like I said, be satisfied where ever you end up as long as you're healthy and happy.

Oh no I wouldn't consider myself a failure at all. I sure do appreciate all of the input from everyone.