Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Are Some People Thinking???

Yesterday I was reading another board (not LBT) and a banded gentleman was complaining about his doctor. This man is a large man, was banded about a year ago, and has lost 50lbs. He was explaining that he was annoyed with his doc for asking about his diet and exercise.

The guy goes on to explain he paid $10K for surgery and he believes as much as he paid the band should be doing most of the work. He went for a fill and his doc (a TJ doc) asked about diet and exercise and he was annoyed that his doc would ask such a question. The meaning was that it doesn't matter what his diet and exercise are, the band should be doing the work and not him. He was actually upset with the doc for suggesting he should be playing more of an active role in his own weight loss.

It makes me wonder what goes through the heads of some people. Does he think that the band does the exercise for him while he sleeps? What kind of exercise can a 2oz band do??? What am I missing? Dietary changes, doesn't that enter his mind? HELLOOOO?

He made a big issue about how he had plenty of money and $10K was nothing so he wasn't angry that the band wasn't working properly but if he couldn't afford the $10K he might feel differently. Of course since he has all this cash laying around the house and $10K is but a drop in the bucket - why would he go to Mexico for surgery to save a few thousand?

How do you even respond to such ... crap? Where do you start? Who in this day and age believes a 2oz band can do all the work for you? You can drink 4,000 calories a day but because you paid $10K for surgery it will still permit you to lose weight.

Another person, she called me on day #4 after surgery and explained that she was in pain from eating chicken and chewy candy. I asked why she ate that. She explained she wanted it. I asked if she was there for the lectures explaining the post op diet. She said she was. I asked if she knew she was supposed to be on Clear liquids at that point. She knew. But she wanted it so she ate it now it hurt and she wanted to know why it hurt. She was assuming the doctor did something wrong during surgery.

I asked if she did any research before getting surgery, she said no. It wasn't necessary. You see, others did research and they had surgery so the band must be a good thing.

Another... I was in Mexicali for a fill several months ago and there was a patient that already heard two lectures from the docs regarding how the band works, what to do, how to eat, the surgical process, the works. She *still* thought the band would go on the outside of her body and squeeze her waist so she couldn't eat much. The girl SAW the band! It's as big around as a quarter and she saw no problem with putting that on the OUTSIDE of her stomach!

Honestly, I don't know how some people survive to adulthood. Who the heck reminds them to breathe 16 times a minute?

Honestly, I don't know how some people survive to adulthood. Who the heck reminds them to breathe 16 times a minute?

1.gif5.gif1.gif5.gif1.gif5.gif

I wonder that at least 20 times a day.

Wait until you have to attempt to teach some of them college biology. Makes you want to repeatedly slam your head into your desk.

Wait until you have to attempt to teach some of them college biology. Makes you want to repeatedly slam your head into your desk.

BTDT.

I used to teach nursing. First day of class I quickly realized we had a problem. So I had everyone draw an outline of a human body and put an "X" where they believe the heart is.

You have no clue how many hearts exist where a stomach or bellybutton is.

BTDT.

I used to teach nursing. First day of class I quickly realized we had a problem. So I had everyone draw an outline of a human body and put an "X" where they believe the heart is.

You have no clue how many hearts exist where a stomach or bellybutton is.

Wow, that's pitiful. I get to teach a biology lecture this semester (first time doing it, I usually only teach the labs), so I can't wait to see the geniouses I have. I'm used to the ones that think that they can magically absorb half a semester's material overnight.

Yup, I can relate. This is why a number of professions, most notably the helping professions, were closed to me. I am impatient and I have anger issues.

Haha. You think they're thinking.

It's arrogance. Arrogance is the biggest bane of society right now I think. The person on the freeway who nearly smashes into you because they don't look before they move over; they don't look because they are *sure* that if someone is there, they'll move for THEM. The insurance companies that hold coverage over our heads just because they can. It's all some form of arrogance.

He paid money for his band, so it should automagically work. I don't know what the 2nd person thought... that the band would stop her if it was bad? That nothing bad would happen just because she wanted something? Dunno. As for the 3rd person, the arrogance in that is that she has decided that the band goes on the outside, and facts be damned.

I get so frustrated by arrogance. My husband and I call it "Jackassery", especially on the road. We are both the type of people that like to understand what people are thinking, or how their thought process works, and this just frustrates us both because there's no logic to it. Even people I know personally have it pretty bad, and I KNOW they weren't raised that way. Of course, someone somewhere thinks I'm an arrogance jackass too, so, it works both ways, I guess.

You know Bubble, I would hope that people getting the band would have done their homework & have some idea of what to expect. Here's my story, that makes me think otherwise... (adds to it, anyway)

I need to have a cholecystectomy. The surgeon who did my band will do this procedure as well. I went in for my conultation this week, and after discussing the current procedure, he said, "So how is your band going? You look good, like it's working well for you." I said, "It's doing its job perfectly, I just need to be better about getting my butt in the gym." Seems benign, no? But then he says, "Well that's not my fault. I can't do anything about that." (And I hope he truly wasn't as defensive as he sounded.)

My husband was in the room with me, and when the surgeon left - while we were still waiting for the coordinator to come by and do the scheduling - he mentioned that the surgeon must get a lot of people blaming him for a lack or cessation of weightloss, because he sounded like he was being defensive.

Last night I was talking with a lady I know who is banded (about 3.5 years ago) and she commented that, "I haven't really lost anything since the first year. I guess I'm just where I'm going to stay. Unless I get to the gym, or get back on track with my eating."

People seem to think that healthy habits are optional. That the bandis going to hand them a goal weight, and all they have to do is content with the occasional fill or PB.

It's scary.

i cant believe i'm saying this ..

but these are the people that should have more than likely chosen bypass. that way their cals / nutrients are restricted. i'm not saying that it's easier per se, but i know someone who has had RNY and she doesnt really work out much (maybe 1x a week) and eats a 'healthy' portion. yet she has lost 150+ pounds ... that is so frustrating but when i think about it, she looks thin but awful.

i want to look healthy, i want you to be able to see muscles in my legs and arms (no, not "Arnold" muscles, but muscles none the less..) i dont want to have a grey/yellow tint to my skin. i want to look good and healthy. that is why i eat right and move my (big but shriking - yay!) @$$.

Jusme,

Honestly I really believe a bypass is easier. At first. But then once the maintaining part starts a few years out it becomes more difficult. Especially if you don't exercise or eat right. At least with the band we have the option of adjustments. Those people that are complaining about the band not doing all the work would probably lose a lot with a bypass. And then they would be the ones who would gain it all back because they have not changed their habits.

I heart my band.

And they have children.... and they vote.... and they run for elected office, too! :paranoid

And they get elected! :omg: