Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Are Some People Thinking???

I need to have a cholecystectomy.

People seem to think that healthy habits are optional. That the bandis going to hand them a goal weight, and all they have to do is content with the occasional fill or PB.

It's scary.

Wheetsin, you're back! People have been asking where you went.

What is a cholecystectomy?

So many people think they are automatically going to lose if they get the

band. They think it's like the RNY. The RNY people really don't have to

do anything to lose weight. My daughter lost 140 lbs and hasn't exercised

once. She does follow the surgeon's diet though.

Those RNY people also gain their weight back, after awhile. The ones that

don't are exercising and not expecting the surgery is a magic cure.

The main reason I posted was to say I am so glad to see you, Wheets!

I am like you ,, where do these people come from? And more importantly,, why do they reproduce? Ignorance breeds ignorance. I have just been banded, but the band is a TOOL not a cure. Jeez what idiots.

Oh Jack, you just hit the nail (hand?) on the head!!! Well, hopefully the law of natural selection will eventually weed those folks out. I am not optimistic though.

The world is a scarey place. One of my favorite lines from the original Dracula movie....

"The whole world's crazy except you and me, Muriel, and I ain't too sure about YOU!"

I don't know how these people function. How could anyone think that the band goes on the outside.

What is a cholecystectomy?
Sorry - just now rediscovered this thread. :) My gall bladder was attacking me and had to get the hell out. The surgery itself went fine - I was literally out shopping the next day. Had more pain immediately post-op, but slept through that night and woke up feeling great.

But somehow, coincidence or indirectly related to the operation I know don't know, I ended up with a severe infection of my small intestine. For a few days they knew I had an infection, but coudn't find it. Then the fever got such that I was ordered to the ER, and I didn't get to leave until they found the source. So I was MIA for longer than planned. I missed my LBT. (But between not eating or drinking much of anything for a week and a half, I am down 14 lbs. I know it will come back, but it's oh so nice to see that number on the scale). :clap2:

OUCH, Wheetsin. And here I was, worrying about throwing up (I felt like puking most of yesterday). Well, I hope you continue feeling fine, and that the weight stays off.

***OFF TOPIC***

(In the off-topic debate area - How dare I!)

Angela! Its good to "see" you again. How are you feeling now? I stop in on the SMMC Chicas site occasionally but none of the same gals anymore.

Last weekend I actually ran into another gal banded a few months after me (about the same time as you I believe). She sells custom jewelry at local art fairs. I went up to her booth to ask where she was when the good-looking, thin, blonde says "Diane, is that you?" I was absolutely floored, she didn't even look like she could be related to the woman I remembered.

I miss everyone, but I don't have any intention of going back to the monthly support groups. Do you still talk to Cate, Holli or Robyn? I wish we could all get together again sometime.

It's getting pretty bad here at LBT. I see so many posts that make it obvious they have not read any part of the board that they should have read before surgery. I read every bit of information

I could read before I had surgery, so I would know what to expect.

You would think people would do that before they had life altering

surgery.

Denise...

I couldn't agree more. It makes me crazy when I see posts that AFTER surgery they don't understand why they still crave food, they thought getting the band would make it "Easy" to stop these cravings.

I have to give my doc credit, he explained ALL this to me the day before surgery, the morning before surgery, right after surgery, and twice more after that. He couldn't have told me enough times. He said the surgery was the easy part, the hard part comes down the road. He was right.

I think it's a combination of docs not taking time to educate their patients and patients not educating themselves.

I have to admit, the one thing I did not know about before surgery was how many ways there are to barf. I had no clue! I've never barfed in so many different ways. PB's, full barf, stomach vomit, sliming, foaming, then there is when it just drains out of your mouth with no effort.

I had no clue about that. :car: But the rest, I had a solid understanding because I researched it to death.

Another thing that absolutely makes me crazy is how people don't research their docs! They go on line and a few people claim they had a good experience with Dr. X and that is their research. Ask them their docs stats and they haven't a freak'en clue! How stupid is that????

It's getting pretty bad here at LBT. I see so many posts that make it obvious they have not read any part of the board that they should have read before surgery. I read every bit of information

I could read before I had surgery, so I would know what to expect.

You would think people would do that before they had life altering

surgery.

Well, there certainly is more information available now than there was 3 years ago when I had surgery. Back then, finding out stuff was like finding gold... it took a lot of work!

Yes, thank God for LBT. I didn't even know the surgery existed 3

years ago, Wendall.

There isn't any excuse for it now though, when you read some of the posts of people that had surgery 3 days ago and want to know why they are hungry, or why they haven't lost weight.

Yes, thank God for LBT. I didn't even know the surgery existed 3

years ago, Wendall.

There isn't any excuse for it now though, when you read some of the posts of people that had surgery 3 days ago and want to know why they are hungry, or why they haven't lost weight.

When I was on obesityhelp.com I used to post a very long post that I had saved on my computer. I named the post "Lap-Band 101".

That one post answered the 50 most common questions that new people have.

Well, wouldn't you know that people on that website complained to the administrators that I posted it too many times.

Yet another reason that I like LBT. :car: