Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophagitis

Hi Everyone I am back from my appointment with Dr. Ortiz, First let me thank all of you for your support and thoughts that were with me all this morning.

I arrived at Ortiz's office at 9:30 as I was waiting for Ortiz to show up, Dr Martinez called the office to make sure I arrived OK.

Dr. Ortiz arrived at 9:45 and I was his only appointment today he made a special trip just to see me. Martinez is out of town so no fills scheduled ( he is the fill master they only do fills on Mondays & Saturdays surgery the rest of the week) Ortiz took me into the fluoro room where I explained all that was going on. I told him about my ALMOST PB on a bite of bread last Monday night. I explained how I had all the symptoms of a PB, the slime, watery mouth and golf ball feeling but the bite passed through and there was NO PB, so I thought since I did not actually PB I did not have to do 24hrs of liquids like he wants his patients to do after a PB..I was wrong, he told me even though I did not actually PB my esophogus went through the motions of a PB for a long 15 minutes..He put me under fluoro, had me drink the barium and I was so pleased to hear that my band has not slipped, no erosion..I just have Esophagitis due to me not doing liquids right after that episode and eating normal until Wednesday when I could not take the discomfort any longer..so my esophagus was inflammed and irritated. He then took me into his office where he spent a good 40 minutes talking with me , he prescribed me a medication to regulate my esophagus, to make it work slower if it is working too fast or to work faster if it is working to slow..I will start taking it today for 2 weeks 2x's a day. I love that Dr. , he did not even charge me a penny for his services and got me my meds at a discounted price of 14.00

He told me some very interesting things..He told me that Inamed both US & Mexico Inamed is really frowning on Dr.'s who are using patient coordinators and making money off of them and are trying to regulate this since it is illegal in the US..Inamed is discussing and weighing options of supplying bands to any Mexican Dr. who is using patient coordinators. I asked if he used a patient coordinator and he told me NO even though people think he does, what he does is if a patient comes in referred by another patient his gives the new patient a 500$ discount and the patient who referred him a free fill( 100$ savings) He also today told me he has opend up Centers all over the US, there is one in Cancun, Texas and New York..these are for patients who have their surgerys done in Mexico but can not or do not want to travel back to TJ for aftercare..the Dr's at these centers are Dr's he has personally trained through Inamed and will be working at these centers for aftercare.for example Dr. Grossbard who is actually a patient of Ortiz's but also is a Lap Band surgeon in Florida will be working in the Cancun office..this is also great for others who did not use Ortiz for their original surgery but need aftercare in their areas or at least closer to their areas without having to fly back to TJ. We also spoke about his book..the book needed one last go over by Ortiz which is why the delay, the books are all being shipped this week Mon, Tues & Wed so for all of you who ordered they are coming. I asked Dr. Ortiz if I was filled too tight and why I have this problem, he told me NO, if anything you have less restriction then most but since I'm losing every week and my weight loss is now at 70lbs he sees no need for a fill or an unfill..for all of you who PB..please do the 24 hrs of liquids, do NOT make the same mistake I did, this is the most irritating and uncomfortable thing I have experienced in a long time..I have been miserable for over a week now but how ironic it was that this morning on my way to TJ I was feeling better then I have in a week..My mind is at ease and I'm on the healing phase, doing liquids and soft foods for a couple of days but its OK with me knowing my band is in good shape! ..

HOORAY!! I was so thinking about you this morning on my way to taking my son to school. I said a little prayer for you. I am so glad that your band is doing fine. I was sorta suspicious it might be something that simple but wasn't sure. Dr. Ortiz sounds like a gem.

It was exactly what he told me it was on the phone on Saturday & Sunday but I need to see it for myself for peace of mind so it was worth the drive to TJ.

I got in and out of there in not time. I was on the road back home at 11:00 and made it home at 12:30 Thanks Penni for your prayer..it worked :D

Awesome news! Thank you so much for letting us know! I wished we could bottle that guy and sell him. :D I'm so glad you got some reassurance that all is well.

Whooo Hooo! You have been on my mind all day, I have checked a hundred times to see if you had posted. I am so happy to hear that you will be fine. Thanks for the information about the book too, as I am one of the people waiting for it. Now, take it easy and heal up good! :D It sounds like you have a very caring doctor who takes his time with you.

Michelle, can you explain why Ortiz can tell you have no erosion based on a barium swallow? I'm confused - I thought only an endoscopy can show erosion. I had good Upper GI results recently so my doctor didn't schedule me for an endoscopy. How can Ortiz be sure there's no erosion without an edoscopy? Why do some people need the scope while you & I just had the barium swallow? Maybe you can Ortiz or Martinez next time you talk to them? So far I can't seem to get a straight answer. Thanks.

If he suspects erosion under fluoro it is becasue the barium is flowing over the band and not through it..I asked hi mthe same question..my barium flowed through the band, when it flows over the band it is most likely the band has eroded into the wall of your stomach..the endoscopy is for 100% accuracy, if he suspect erosion from the baruim flowing over the band he will schedule and Endo. If you call Martinez he will take the timne to explain it all to you..just like Rita who posted on erodedbandsters, Kuri told her he suspected erosion since the barium was flowing over the band instead of through the band..the other reason Ortiz told me many docs in the US do not use flouro for their fills so that is also why they schedule an Endo to determine erosion for sure. He also told me many cases of erosion are reported after a year to 2 years out..on rare occassions he has seen it happen 6 months post op..$ many cases of erosion are from techniques used when placing the band during the original surgery. I know Ortiz & Lopez were partners at one time and I asked his receptionist why they were no longer together..he answer wassimple.. Ortiz's reputation was being tarnished and he would not allow that to happen any longer. She also told me they get calls all the time from patients thinking they are calling Lopez's clinic since there names of the clinics are almost the same. Lopez = Obesity Control Clinic

Ortiz= Obesity Control Center.< /p>

Happy News!!! I learned this the hard way too and had to be on medication for two weeks. With the medication felt 100% better within 3 days and eating normal again. You will feel great and that is our responsibility -- to take care of our bands --- you did the right thing. I'm glad you have no hesitation to check out your issues.

Keep up the good work!!

Thank You Carol

Dr. Ortiz said the same thing to me..he was happy I made the trip to Tj and took responsibility for my band he told me many of his patients dont and pay the price later for it..

But in my own defense..I could no go another day without answers , physically, mentally or emotionally. I was a wreck!! Was not sleeping or eating or functioning for that matter .. I did not care how much he was going to charge me I needed answers, I needed piece of mind and I needed relief. I got all threee of those things today :) ..lucky for me he was so nice and did not charge me. I'm glad to hear you experienced ( well not glad but you knowwhat I mean) this too and the medication worked well for you, that gives me much hope :)

What medication were you on? I am on prevacid and a mexican drug called DEBRIDAT which helps to regulate the esophagus and the spasms..he did say though unfortunately that it would clean out my colon too :D Oh well it is worth it if I can eat comfortably again and feel better .

it is hard to hear how uncomfortable you were and does bring back memories. I was put on Carafate (Sucralfate is generic). It comes in liquid and tablet and I find I do better breaking up the tablet. I was taking it 4 times a day. It just kind of coated everything so I felt absoluted no discomfort.

He actually gave me 3 refills of it but haven't had to use any as I have learned my lesson. And so have you. Sometimes when I eat something spicy and burp alot I think about using it but take a couple Pepcid AC instead and that usually does the trick.

Your time was well spent today learning another new thing about this wonderful band we have. I can "feel" that you are doing better already!

Michelle, I'm so glad it was nothing big!! We can all benefit immensely from your experience, and what a joy to hear that you're OK and doing fine. :D:) :) :D

So glad it went well Michelle. Sounds like you got some great information too. So glad you are home and ok.