Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone starting weight at 200 lbs? Help :)

If you know you have tried everything you could to lose and have not been successful then I would say move forward with bariactric surgery. First find out with your health plan what is required for approval. Find a experienced bariatric surgeon and read as much as you can about your surgery options. Bariatric surgery will change your life in ways you would not even think of. It has been the best decision I made for my health. I do not regret it and wished I would have done it 10 years ago but my doctors would not recommend. There are many misconceptions of who qualifies for surgery yet this is specific to each individual and what your health plan will cover. Dont get discouraged by negative comments or opinions even if it from a doctor. If you feel this is right for you then go for it. Best of luck... I would recommend reading the book a pound of cure. Great information for pre-op and post-op patients.

I was sleeved may 13 this year. Heaviest weight 202. Surgery weight 193 so I lost 9lbs before surgery. At 1st month appointment I was 180. 2nd month 168. Just had my 3rd month appointment and was 155.6. I weighed today and I'm now 152. So 50lbs in 3 months!!! I'm 5'-5'1. All I have done is stick to diet. And walk every once in awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by isda418

A weight loss forum is the only place in the entire universe that will ever say "200 lbs isn't that heavy". it seems like today ive read a lot of "low" starting weights and low bmi posts. What baffles me is, most people's biggest regret is not doing this sooner, yet so many are confused at why a person would consider this at a "low weight"( whatever that is ). I say have at it . Why wait . For the most part I don't think anyone is opting to have major surgery just for shits and giggles. Some are concerned that instead of people doing this as a last resort , that its being done for vanity. Can we be honest here, yes most of us have medical problems that weight loss can fix or even save our lives BUT WHO DOESNT WANT TO LOOK GOOD?

me 4'11 hw226 w 212 cw186 surgery 6/1

My husband's weight loss is great, 6'2", 330 to 220 lbs., no struggles. I struggle from 210 to 177. I am extremely proud of the results and would do it again in a heartbeat. Life is 100 degrees turned around. 70's nd living.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Weighed in at 199 day of Surgery now at 173-175lbs now im 8 weeks post op weight loss is going slow for me. Love the decision I made and im learning to go with the flow when it comes to weightloss I know this is my new lifestyle.

I feel the same. I was 195.8 day of surgery. I'm just passed 5 weeks and I was 173.6 this AM. I feel like it's going slow (I know it's not) but I love the decision I made.

A weight loss forum is the only place in the entire universe that will ever say "200 lbs isn't that heavy". it seems like today ive read a lot of "low" starting weights and low bmi posts. What baffles me is, most people's biggest regret is not doing this sooner, yet so many are confused at why a person would consider this at a "low weight"( whatever that is ). I say have at it . Why wait . For the most part I don't think anyone is opting to have major surgery just for shits and giggles. Some are concerned that instead of people doing this as a last resort , that its being done for vanity. Can we be honest here, yes most of us have medical problems that weight loss can fix or even save our lives BUT WHO DOESNT WANT TO LOOK GOOD?

Thank you for saying this, I've had so many people questioning why I had the surgery because I wasn't "that big" and everytime I would ask myself in my head what does "that big " mean and "how big" do I need to be to make a life changing decision? I'm also 4'11 and had a slew of health conditions that by having this surgery would help control or eliminate, is it so bad that I'm 30 years young and would like to live long enough to have babies and raise them and be healthy enough to do so?! Why do I have to be a certain "big" to want to change for the better?! I just wish some people would go back to basics, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything!

I saw my surgeon yesterday. My weight is 215lbs. I have all the comorbidities, 61 and scared of what's to come if I don't do this now. I'm scheduled for an EGD next week and need to let him know which surgery to do." WOMANVSMIRROW" was so right on target. 200 lbs is a lot of weight, but considered a low weight on these forums. Doing this for health purposes is terrific, and losing weight makes it all the better. I wish I had done this 20 years ago but since I didn't, I believe everyone else here that's had it and saying this. I guess it's like having your cake and eating it to. Good Luck!

I was just over 200 when I made the choice, after considering it for 4 years. I was at a high of 214 four years ago and was about 206 pre op, maybe 200 day of surgery. I did this for my health because although I was an active obese person (at my height 200 is definitely obese) I had insulin resistance, hpb, history of heart disease on both sides of my family. I want to live a long and healthy life. I have kids that are fit and active and I want to see them grow up.

My surgery team shared a lot of new research with me showing how beneficial wls is for patients who are not morbidly obese. I was obese at the time of surgery but not morbidly obese. I see no reason to continue down a path that clearly isn't working for me, so why not harness the tools that surgical technology can provide for me? Also-- it's really no one's business.

Thank you for saying this, I've had so many people questioning why I had the surgery because I wasn't "that big" and everytime I would ask myself in my head what does "that big " mean and "how big" do I need to be to make a life changing decision? I'm also 4'11 and had a slew of health conditions that by having this surgery would help control or eliminate, is it so bad that I'm 30 years young and would like to live long enough to have babies and raise them and be healthy enough to do so?! Why do I have to be a certain "big" to want to change for the better?! I just wish some people would go back to basics, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything!

Lol, I've only told one friend and my husband that I've decided to go forward with the surgery but for about a year when I was thinking about it I mentioned it to a few people. My favorite response was, "you're not THAT fat", which I heard probably 3 times. I think it's supposed to be a compliment?

I am starting at around 200lbs and I'm 4' 11" (rounding up). My goal weight is 130lbs, which is still technically "overweight" for my height, but it's 70lbs I know I could never lose on my own (And boy have I tried!).

Best of luck to you!

May I ask. What was everyone's start weight? Height? And current weight? Also how far out are you? Strict to diet? And how much exercise?

I had my sleeve back in may.

Heaviest was 202lbs

Surgery day 193

Current 150

Isda

Edited by isda418

May I ask. What was everyone's start weight? Height? And current weight? Also how far out are you? Strict to diet? And how much exercise?

I had my sleeve back in may.

Heaviest was 202lbs

Surgery day 193

Current 150

Isda

@@isda418

I am 5'5, and 5 months post op

HW: 222.2

CW: 161.7

Weight-loss so far: 60.5

Bit of exercise, mainly walking and dancing.

@@doingitmyway

Sounds like this is your first stall. It is quite normal, and stalls happen, then weight-loss resumes again, then another stall etc .....

Our bodies have a mind of their own, and they do stuff in their own time.

My first stall lasted 2-3 weeks, and I was still losing inches though, even though my scales did not budge!

I actually refused to weigh myself for 2 weeks.

Providing you stick to your post op food plan, the weight-loss and stalls will keep happening.

My last stall was due to me indulging in the wrong foods, sugar laden frozen yoghurt.

Soonest I stopped eating this, my weight is peeling off again.

Further down the Forums are 2 great Sub-forums: "Don't sweat the stall stuff" and "Embrace the Stall".

InnerSurferGirl explains beautifully the nature of stalls and why they happen.

After being directed to these Sub-forums, and reading up on stalls, I felt at ease and stopped worrying about the stalls, unless self inflicted, of course :)