Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let the rant begin...

I'm going to reiterate what others have said. Once you are maintaining for a while, no one will say anything to you. I've been at a steady weight for probably close to two years now and I also think that no one really thinks of me as the former heavier person I was pre WLS. They've seen me this size for a long enough time that they've gotten used to it.

I'm definitely looking forward to that!

I got this one once...said to my husband "Wow your wife is hot now...better keep your eye on her." I'm like really? I'm hot NOW? I was hot before...a*****e. AND I'm standing right here! I'm serious that crap just spews out of people's mouths at times. All in all, comments I've received were positive and I believe well meant....some of it just comes out as verbal dribble.

Here's the all-time rudest comment about someone else's weight loss:

"I bet your husband / wife / significant other is so happy that you've lost weight!"

Both critical of your previous weight and misogynistic. That's a winner.

More recently I have the question asked: "How much more weight do you want to loose?"

I have answered like this (sometimes, depending on who's asking) I look them up and down and say "I don't know how much do you weigh?"

I love the answer "one hundred and sexy" to the question "how much do you weigh now?" question!!

People suck. And the worse thing is, they don't even realize it.

I wish more people would comment on my weight loss! Aside from two close friends, not one person has said a word aside from the usual hi and/or small talk. Maybe they are afraid to say something or think it would be rude, but I want to know my hard work is being noticed!! My clothes fit differently for sure and I've dropped a few sizes but still when I look in the mirror, I don't think I'm seeing the full picture. I still look plenty fat and my face looks no different in the bathroom mirror. (tho i do see the difference in photos) A couple of close friends have said 1. "wow you lost a lot of weight!" and 2. "your weight loss is startling". These comments make me feel good and motivate me to keep going! I'm not in denial, I know I didn't look good before, I know I look better now. If someone tell me "you look much better than you did a few months ago!" I'm going to say THANKS!!! And probably do a pirouette. And then get a glass of Water.

I get similar comments all the time. In my experience they haven't been rude, they just want there to be a magic pill. I admit, I have lost 162 pounds in a year, and that is extreme. So, people have questions. I don't keep my surgery a secret but I am quick to give them a run down of my exercise and eating habits. I work for this body and I will have to work to KEEP this body.

Add my name to the list of those that are ready to get to maintenance and stop answering questions.

That being said, there is no winning for people when dealing with individuals who are losing a lot of weight. You can see it right in this thread. Some people are offended when people comment or ask questions. Some people are offended when no one says anything. It's sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

I will say, I believe everyone who has commented on my weight loss, or asked questions has seemed genuinely supportive and curious. I've also had a number of people seek me out to get more information on how I'm eating as they are trying to lose weight themselves.

There was one comment that I found interesting. Someone asked me how much I had lost, and when I told them it was about 85 lbs they said "Wow, really? Where the heck did you put all that weight". I certainly wasn't offended as I'm sure it was intended as a compliment (as in, it's hard to believe you lost THAT much because you don't look like you were carrying around an extra 85 lb!), but it reinforced my own perception that although the scale number is big, I don't feel like I look like I've lost that much. But ultimately, that's about me, not them. And let's be honest, if they said "no way, you have to have lost WAY more than that!" it could have been construed as offensive as well.

Yup. I got that one repeatedly. My answer was alwaya. "He loves for more than the number on the scale! I guess some of us are just lucky like that."

My favorite was a cashier who, as she was checking me out said, "WOW!! You look really HOT!! Did you get a divorce or something?" I was dressed for our 20th anniversary date.

My other favorite immediately post op was another cashier, same market, who looked at the teeny scoop of seafood salad on my plate next to the teeny scoop of applesauce (I had just hit the soft food stage so my portions were MAYBE a tablespoon or two each) and said, "Girl! You aren't fooling anyone! Clearly you eat more than that!!!!" Yes, I was still really fat.

I almost punched her in the face.

Prior to my "don't make raenh mad pills" - I probably would have. You have a lot more self control :D