Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let the rant begin...

I get your point, I really do, but I don't take it all quite as negatively. People who ask about me genuinely care and are concerned.

@@CowgirlJane I'm pretty sure there was no harm meant. It's just interesting the questions people ask and how they ask them. I think most people are genuinely happy for me, but then there are others who attempt to compliment you and hurt your feelings at the same time.

I hate the "how much have you lost and how much more do you want to lose" question because people start trying to figure out how much you weighed initially. It's just not their business.

I also don't like assumptions made about me... like "I'm sure your feet don't hurt as much". Huh?! I just think it's rude when people are too presumptuous. I don't get angry though. I just think it's funny/interesting.

Here's the all-time rudest comment about someone else's weight loss:

"I bet your husband / wife / significant other is so happy that you've lost weight!"

I'm going to reiterate what others have said. Once you are maintaining for a while, no one will say anything to you. I've been at a steady weight for probably close to two years now and I also think that no one really thinks of me as the former heavier person I was pre WLS. They've seen me this size for a long enough time that they've gotten used to it.

"I bet your husband / wife / significant other is so happy that you've lost weight!"

Yup. I got that one repeatedly. My answer was alwaya. "He loves for more than the number on the scale! I guess some of us are just lucky like that."

My favorite was a cashier who, as she was checking me out said, "WOW!! You look really HOT!! Did you get a divorce or something?" I was dressed for our 20th anniversary date.

My other favorite immediately post op was another cashier, same market, who looked at the teeny scoop of seafood salad on my plate next to the teeny scoop of applesauce (I had just hit the soft food stage so my portions were MAYBE a tablespoon or two each) and said, "Girl! You aren't fooling anyone! Clearly you eat more than that!!!!" Yes, I was still really fat.

I almost punched her in the face.

Yup. I got that one repeatedly. My answer was alwaya. "He loves for more than the number on the scale! I guess some of us are just lucky like that."

My favorite was a cashier who, as she was checking me out said, "WOW!! You look really HOT!! Did you get a divorce or something?" I was dressed for our 20th anniversary date.

My other favorite immediately post op was another cashier, same market, who looked at the teeny scoop of seafood salad on my plate next to the teeny scoop of applesauce (I had just hit the soft food stage so my portions were MAYBE a tablespoon or two each) and said, "Girl! You aren't fooling anyone! Clearly you eat more than that!!!!" Yes, I was still really fat.

@@LipstickLady I love your stories so much. Can you invite us all over for a slumber party so we can hear more? We could all drink Protein shakes (maybe spiked!) braid each other's hair and compare menus.

Pleaaaaaassssee? I will get my pjs, sleeping bag and bring crab dip from Whole Foods.

Oh dear. I just remembered I'm 44, married and have 2 kids... And a complete stranger to you. Sorry...

;)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

People are so interesting. My brother whom I see several times a week hasn't mentioned one word about my 105lb loss lol but then again he never said anything after my 175lb loss years ago. People are usually curious. That is perfectly fine. But often they get tangled in their own words especially for something deemed personal.

Sometimes nothing seems to make us happy.

There you are, getting comments--some are intrusive and/or rude, but some are just friendly curiosity from folks who might not what to say, but do want you to know that they "notice".

Here I am, 89# off and other than my two daughters, no one has said a word about my weight loss. No one.

Which is more hurtful? Damned if I know...

Prayers going up for us all. :)

@@her1981

The comments will seem strange and out of place for a while. Its funny..When your obese no one asks (I hope no one has ever asked)

Is that an old dress or a new dress that's too small for you?

How much weight have you gained? then start guessing

How much more are you going to gain cuz you look terrible now.

You look so much older since you have gained weight

I noticed you ate the whole pizza at our luncheon

I went to my sister's house for my nephews play a few weeks ago and saw her and my dad for the first time since I lost about 45 pounds. They didn't say anything about my weight loss. I actually told my friend when I came home I was a little hurt. Then my other sister called me and said "dad said you are looking great". It is weird that some people don't feel comfortable talking about weight while others feel it is their God given right to comment on everything surrounding them. I did feel better when my sister said that though

@@LipstickLady I love your stories so much. Can you invite us all over for a slumber party so we can hear more? We could all drink Protein shakes (maybe spiked!) braid each other's hair and compare menus.

Pleaaaaaassssee? I will get my pjs, sleeping bag and bring crab dip from Whole Foods.

Oh dear. I just remembered I'm 44, married and have 2 kids... And a complete stranger to you. Sorry...

;)

Hey girl! Me, too! So absolutely!! What time will you be here???

@@her1981

The comments will seem strange and out of place for a while. Its funny..When your obese no one asks (I hope no one has ever asked)

@@her1981

I guess that's the whole point. It not anyone's place to overanalyze a person's weight - up OR down. Especially if we're not friends. Like I said, just tell me I look good, and keep it moving, LOL

@@jaxmom - I live in Clay county....can we carpool to the sleepover with @@LipstickLady ???

I love her stories too!

So know what you are all feeling / thinking and going through !!

My favorite was "when did you have your baby?" ...

Here's the thing ... I had the baby ... AND I ATE IT !!!!!!!!! Ugh.

Now I love this one ... "so you don't eat cake? Why not?"

REALLY!?!?!

Did you NOT see me "before" ?

Why would I eat the biggest thing that got me where I was ?!

People are stupid. ( sometimes )

Now Mom on the other hand ... last week ... "don't you want a munchkin? We have plenty" ...

"No mom, I don't eat those things anymore."

"Why? Don't you like them anymore?"

O M G

Ok. Rant over. :)

I got this one once...said to my husband "Wow your wife is hot now...better keep your eye on her." I'm like really? I'm hot NOW? I was hot before...asshole. AND I'm standing right here! I'm serious that crap just spews out of people's mouths at times. All in all, comments I've received were positive and I believe well meant....some of it just comes out as verbal dribble.