Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who drink diet pop post-op {Only nice comments PLEASE}

@@Cari Dickenson ...

There's a new key on your keyboard. It's called the RETURN KEY.

When you use that key TWICE between topics and subtopics it makes your responses so much easier to read.

Please!

@@Cari Dickenson ...

There's a new key on your keyboard. It's called the RETURN KEY.

When you use that key TWICE between topics and subtopics it makes your responses so much easier to read.

Please!

I would like to sign this petition!

I don't see how asking about diet pop (soda) in any way suggests that she isn't ready for WLS. We can disagree with others - but there's no need to shove your opinions down their throats (and act as though your OPINION is right and others are wrong). As I said before - this isn't a One Size Fits All situation. People looking for info and guidance will be hesitant to ask on this forum since it seems it always turns into some nasty comments and judgement towards someone we know very little about. You must be perfect and have done everything your Drs always told you, right? Because if that's the case - I doubt very much you would have needed WLS in the first place. No one has all the answers and there's no 1 right way to do this.

@

Thanks for the information! Even though they gave you two free, I would have demanded a refund.

My dermatologist wants to charge $1100 for ONE session! Crazy!

OK -- I'm starting a face / plastics thread so we can continue to argue here only about diet sodas.

;)

Omg people. Enough! The quoting, requoting is bad enough trying to figure out who said what. Agree to disagree. But for GOD's sake, your opinion, my opinion, my doc or yours, NO ONE IS RIGHT OR WRONG. Not everyone experiences the same reactions to foods and beverages.

If you think someone is going to "screw up" their surgery, who are you or I to judge? It's THEIR BODY, procedure, etc.

We are not talking unprotected sex with someone who has a full blown case of AIDS or Hepatitis or Ebola here ladies and gentlemen. She, me, anyone- we aren't going to give ourselves a death sentence! Might you find yourself a bit uncomfortable after trying something that doesn't agree with you- sure. And if someone decides to self-sabotage, that is their choice, and they live with the repercussions. They do. Not us.

And quite frankly, all we are talking about is the POSSIBILITY of a carbonated beverage. Nothing more, nothing less.

Someone close the thread!

Rant over

Edited by LisaMergs

Omg people. Enough! The quoting, requoting is bad enough trying to figure out who said what....

Girl, I've learned to quote the crap out people when they post mean, inflammatory, nonsensical junk. If you don't, they come back and edit it, or remove it all together and then claim they never said it.

Nope. Quote, quote, quote...

:D

Omg people. Enough! The quoting, requoting is bad enough trying to figure out who said what....

Girl, I've learned to quote the crap out people when they post mean, inflammatory, nonsensical junk. If you don't, they come back and edit it, or remove it all together and then claim they never said it.

Can I quote you on this? :)

@@LisaMergs

Do you need a Coke and a lie down?? :D

Diet Coke. Thank you.

I wasn't being mean Lipstick lady. Its a pretty serious operation.... and I want to see her succeed. not harm herself.... I have no real issues with the soda verses not.... aside from the fact its bad for you... and I don't like or drink crystal light either... I want everyone to win against this battle.... and if you are not going to listen to the docs... I mean they have ( many of them) being doing this studying this for many years... They know a lot more about this stuff than any of us do... and If your not going to be able to handle it and its hard,,, especially at first and pretty scary to... I don't want someone to go through all this and regret it.... for it is not for the faint of heart.... or the ones that can't or wont stick to the diet....the only way to succeed is to stick to the diet... follow the docs advice I would hate for her to be curled in a ball for several hours for a sip or two of soda... that would suck.... I just want her to make sure this is what she wants..... and to do what needs to be done to be healthy and happy..... now saying that I am not saying not to live.. I had a spoonful small one of each child's birthday cake... I have a few dark chocolate covered raisins and some sherbert now and again as we are changing lifetime habit... it seems like she doesn't want to make those needed changes and that worries me for if she doesn't her life is not gonna be very pleasant... and drinking soda a month out... your still on the liquid diet a month out.... it sounds like a painful plan to me and it worries me.... a month out sounds too soon.... and for those on about Protein Shakes after surgery I could not tolerate them barely tolerated them during my month long liquid diet before surgery after it was a no go and I would gag... so I had to find another way....I am truly trying to help with my experience.... I dont drink any Protein shakes... I eat my protein... meats steak chicken Beans cheese....I cannot imagine living on them as I saw another poster say ... YUCK!!... But truly was not being mean or harsh... Just want the Op to take a good hard long look and make sure this is something she wants and can do... it is not for everyone.... I am pretty blunt and straight with what I say... rarely do I try to pretty it up.... it needed to be said... and I think she needs to take a long hard look at it one more time to make sure its what she truly wants..... giving up soda for health.....its a small sacrifice.... and with WLS sacrifices have to be made....

I am going to correct a few things you said above as gently as possible. I am quite certain you aren't responding with hate in your heart, but your words are quite harsh and to be honest, quite rude. I am as blunt as they come and I have no problem with people who are the same, but damning someone to failure because they don't do what you do is wrong. My opinions and my truths only belong to me. I will share my very successful experience because they worked (or didn't work for me), but I will NEVER INSIST that my way is the only **RIGHT** way and that is how you are coming across in my opinion.

First. Sleevers don't have pouches and they don't grow. Their stomachs are swollen from surgery, and that swelling goes down, but that is not a pouch and it is not growth.

I drink soda and I am not overweight or unhealthy. I hit goal within 9 months.

She didn't say she didn't want "truth", she said she wanted people to be nice. Big diff. That said, your opinion does not equal TRUTH. (Nor does mine.)

She didn't say she knew more, she is doing her research and asking for opinions. I am successful and my opinion differed from the opinion originally offered by my surgeon. For the win, he agreed with me after he saw my reasons for MY individual case.

How dare you tell someone they shouldn't have surgery for asking a question. Isn't that up to her surgeon and NP? What makes YOU think YOU know more than them? (To use your words...)

I am sure she knows it is a serious surgery. I am sure she knows the risks. I am certain that if she was "curled up in a ball for hours" she would learn her lesson -- something we mostly all go through. She wasn't asking if she could drink soda a month out, either.

I wasn't on liquids for a month post op. Again, your plan isn't everyone's. I had some good and bad experiences. I learned from my mistakes and I am sure the OP will do the same.

Soda is not going to doom her any more than chocolate raisins or sherbet doomed you. I am not sure how you justify your "forbidden choices" as any better than her's.

@@LipstickLady - First off.. I was going to have to say a lot more and it would have been a lot less nice than you said it so THANK YOU very much for sticking up for me. I appreciate it. As a new sleever and fairly new to the forum it's not fun to come on here and get information and get hate and judgment instead. You ROCK. You are AWESOME. Keep preaching it, sister!!!

@@Cari Dickenson - I'm going to be as nice as possible about this.. but I feel the need to stand up for myself about a few things.

I started researching the surgery just over a year ago. I went through six months of physician supervised dieting and a -ton- of (extra) clearances that a lot of people don't have to have because of my bipolar and anxiety issues. Trust me.. if the powers that be didn't think I understood and was capable of and able to commit to the changes being made - they would not have cleared me for surgery.

I also don't think that this is a light thing..I'm agreeing to let someone cut out 80%+- of my stomach. You better believe that I take it seriously and that I took a good hard look and did a LOT of research before I decided it was what I wanted to commit to.

I've never done or indicated anything that suggested I'm not able or prepared to make a slew of changes to my life to make this surgery work. And work it will. I am determined to make this new tool work for me. If something I try doesn't work then I'll do something different. Seeing as how I'm not a masochist, if I try a sip of pop a -few- months out (certainly not one month out) and I'm curled in a ball in gas pain then I won't try again and will blame no one but myself considering I know that's one of the possible things that could happen, and if it does.. I'll live (and learn).

I absolutely can stick to the diet. I'm not faint of heart. In fact, I have every single meal planned out for the entire 13 days of my pre-opp diet. So, I can follow the rules. The difference is that the pop "rule" is not a hard and fast rule. It's an opinion and not all surgeons agree with it... so I'm merely choosing which side of the debate I agree with. It's not like I'm saying "I'm not going to take my protein intake seriously" or " I'm going to go out and have a steak the night I get released from the hospital." I'm advocating that there are legitimate arguments for both sides of the debate and came to get information.. not validation.. I don't need validation because plenty of doctors have already given that.

Please don't make judgements or predictions about people you don't know anything about. Especially about their worthiness to have surgery or their ability to succeed after having surgery. I'll be happy to tag you very first in the thread I WILL post in a year or two that says I made it to goal weight and again in the thread I post a year out from that that says I'm happily maintaining that goal weight.

I will succeed.

Notice, I didn't use a question mark. I used a period. I'm not asking a question, I'm making a statement. I will do whatever it takes.

Can I quote you on this? :)

Only if you do it right.

I have no idea where the return key is... or I don't see it. Sorry If I didn't do it right. I thought it was how we answered responded. Forgive for being newer here and not understanding the way it works. I will also address Lipstick. I didn't say my way was right nor wrong.... I am concerned that if she doesn't want to follow docs advice before she has even had surgery... she might want to think long and hard on what she is doing. It is hard to tell emotions by typed words... I don't want her to be curled in a ball for hours it is horrid and to be able to save someone that possible kind of pain.. matters to me... I was simply speaking my mind trying to open her up to more. Never meant in a rude or unkind way. Simply put I say what I think and why... I think it depends on the person reading it how they take it. It was never meant in meanness or in a way to cause harm... but to give a person something to think about...http://www.amylhwilliams.com/pouchrulesfordummies.html For ten years, I had patients eat until full with cottage cheese every three months, and report the amount of cottage cheese they were able to eat before feeling full. This gave me an idea of the size of their pouch at three month intervals. I found there was a regular growth in the amount of intake of every single pouch. The average date the pouch stopped growing was two years. After the second year, all pouches stopped growing. Most pouches ended at 6 oz., with some as large at 9-10 ozs. Pouches can and do change in size... according to the article... it was a study done...