Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doc never mentioned this..

Luckily, I've never had the "foamies" either, but our NUT did mention it pre-op and said that eating slowly, chewing your food to "applesauce" consistency and taking small sips of liquids will prevent it. The biggest recommendation was to make sure you eat slowly. Take a bite, chew well, swallow, and allow your body a minute or two to see how it reacts and make sure you aren't full...

...after surgery, your eyes will definitely be bigger than your stomach!!

You have a great attitude. Looks like you have lost 120#; on a 5' tall woman - well you are probably about half your former size! I am taller, so my 150# loss is about half MY former size and so we both "get" how incredible that is. I did the soul searching and asked myself if I was willing to risk reflux, a lifetime of PPI meds. I didn't like that possibility, but I recognized that saving my LIFE was worth the risk. So far I have won the GERD lottery and dont have a problem. I am 4.5 years post op, but I know that GERD can show up anytime. I did have a "bigger" sleeve than many because at the time my surgeon thought that reduced the risk of out of control reflux but I don't know if that is still a valid theory.

Anyway, I believe you will be successful over the long haul because your mindset about this; in spite of the very nasty reflux is so positive!

Unfortunately, I am one who developed GERD post sleeve. I didn't have it before surgery, and if I did, I may have selected Bypass over Sleeve, but I would not have cancelled my surgery entirely. I'm now discussing converting to bypass as a way to control my "out of control" reflux. With everything I'm going through, I'm still grateful for my surgery and the new lease on life it gave me.

You have a great attitude. Looks like you have lost 120#; on a 5' tall woman - well you are probably about half your former size! I am taller, so my 150# loss is about half MY former size and so we both "get" how incredible that is. I did the soul searching and asked myself if I was willing to risk reflux, a lifetime of PPI meds. I didn't like that possibility, but I recognized that saving my LIFE was worth the risk. So far I have won the GERD lottery and dont have a problem. I am 4.5 years post op, but I know that GERD can show up anytime. I did have a "bigger" sleeve than many because at the time my surgeon thought that reduced the risk of out of control reflux but I don't know if that is still a valid theory.

Anyway, I believe you will be successful over the long haul because your mindset about this; in spite of the very nasty reflux is so positive!

Unfortunately, I am one who developed GERD post sleeve. I didn't have it before surgery, and if I did, I may have selected Bypass over Sleeve, but I would not have cancelled my surgery entirely. I'm now discussing converting to bypass as a way to control my "out of control" reflux. With everything I'm going through, I'm still grateful for my surgery and the new lease on life it gave me.

Thank you! Yes, I'm in the 120ish lbs lost range. My weight has been fluctuating because we're trying different food combinations to try and deal with the GERD and my surgeon and NUT wanted me to go higher carb for a while (which is not a good thing for me) so I had some regain. I'm trying to not let that derail me. I'm so happy for you that you're GERD free. It's horrible. My acid was measured at 409% greater than normal. I take a PPI combo of Protonix and Dexilant and I supplement with Carafate and Zantac and yet my Reflux is still out of control. I'm not looking forward to more surgery, but if that's what it takes to cure my GERD so I can get back to the active life I developed post surgery, that's what I'll do. And to anyone pre-op who is reading this, even with all my issues I honestly mean it when I say I wouldn't trade this surgery for anything. The life I lead now is leaps and bounds above what I had at 250lbs. Don't let the fear of something that may never happen stop you for taking the step.