Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ignorance, Senility, or NSV?

@@Andrea72 -

I don't want to be a wet blanket now, but make sure you talk to your surgeon's office and your NUT. I went to my 6 month post-surgery appointment and was informed that they don't think I should do the marathon! They have known about it for more than a month because I called almost right away to talk about nutrition during long runs, etc. Their stated reason is that there isn't much research out there about bariathletes. What I have been able to find has no recommendations as to when a person can start thinking about events like this or what length. The information I read even talks about bariathletes doing ultra events and multi day events.

They have decided that they can't tell me I can't, but they don't recommend it. I am frustrated. I don't want to do anything to damage myself or hamper the effectiveness of my surgery, but I also don't feel like they have given me a good reason not to do it. One of my support group friends thinks I should just keep training and listen to my body. It will tell me when it needs a break, needs more calories, etc. If I had known all this a month ago, I might have waited a year and not signed up, paid, started fundraising, and told so many people. Now I feel like I'll be a failure if I drop out.

sadly,

pam

@@Andrea72 -

I don't want to be a wet blanket now, but make sure you talk to your surgeon's office and your NUT. I went to my 6 month post-surgery appointment and was informed that they don't think I should do the marathon! They have known about it for more than a month because I called almost right away to talk about nutrition during long runs, etc. Their stated reason is that there isn't much research out there about bariathletes. What I have been able to find has no recommendations as to when a person can start thinking about events like this or what length. The information I read even talks about bariathletes doing ultra events and multi day events.

They have decided that they can't tell me I can't, but they don't recommend it. I am frustrated. I don't want to do anything to damage myself or hamper the effectiveness of my surgery, but I also don't feel like they have given me a good reason not to do it. One of my support group friends thinks I should just keep training and listen to my body. It will tell me when it needs a break, needs more calories, etc. If I had known all this a month ago, I might have waited a year and not signed up, paid, started fundraising, and told so many people. Now I feel like I'll be a failure if I drop out.

sadly,

pam

can I just say if I was one of the ones you told, and for whatever medical reason you had to drop out, I would feel bad for you but I would not feel like you were a failure!

I have friends who run marathons, who have NEVER been overweight and at times for one reason or another (injury, other issues) they have had to drop out of this or that race. I have always commiserated with them, but never thought less of them in any way at all. YOU listen to your body missy, and do what is right, even if it does come to dropping out if it is too soon.

@@Christinamo7

Thanks. Its more of I have dropped out of so many things over the years for one reason or another and this just feels like an excuse to quit, just like all the others. I acknowledge that my head knows I shouldn't feel this way, but my heart is breaking because I was so excited about being able to accomplish something as big as this. I guess it had become my proof that I'm no longer "the fat girl". Validation of the new me. That the old me is gone forever and I can conquer this. There are actually tears in my eyes and a catch in my throat as I write this.

Thanks for the encouragement,

pam

Thanks for the heads up @@mngreeneyes

Although I don't think the best of the hospitals NUT, I'm one very lucky person to have found such a caring, and personable, surgeon.

Living 3 hours away from his office, he had given me his private cell number. That day, I actually contacted him to get his thoughts. After a long Q and A, he thought it was fantastic, but he too recommended I listen to my body.

He also mentioned that he wished he lived closer, so he could run it with me.

As for nutrition, both trainers I am now involved with have nutrition training , with the USAT certified trainer holding a masters in nutrition.

I may have gone a little overboard with the USAT trainer, but I'm seriously wanting to do everything right.

And please don't feel like a failure. You are anything but. I know it must be disappointing, but you aren't giving up....you are taking care of yourself!!!

@@Christinamo7

Thanks. Its more of I have dropped out of so many things over the years for one reason or another and this just feels like an excuse to quit, just like all the others. I acknowledge that my head knows I shouldn't feel this way, but my heart is breaking because I was so excited about being able to accomplish something as big as this. I guess it had become my proof that I'm no longer "the fat girl". Validation of the new me. That the old me is gone forever and I can conquer this. There are actually tears in my eyes and a catch in my throat as I write this.

Thanks for the encouragement,

pam

*hugs hugs hugs* it is not a dropping out but a postpoining if needed. *hugs*

@@Christinamo7 and @@Andrea72

I just had a great chat with one of my friends and he gave me a good pep talk. He says go for it and if your body says stop, you stop and only then. The big thing is to keep believing that I can do it.

I am going to continue on with the belief that I can do it. Not in a defiant I'll show them I can do it kind of way, but in an I'm capable kind of way. As Bryan, my friend, pointed out, people get injured all the time even if they havent' had the surgery so if it happens it happens. I just need to keep being careful like I have been and listen to my body.

Thanks for all your encouragement and hugs. I am feeling better since talking to Bryan and hearing from you two.

Today is an easy/cross training day so I am walking with my running budy (from pre-marathon training.). Tomorrow and Saturday are runs again! Still on track!

pam

@@mngreeneyes

You CAN do it!!!

3 years ago I lost my mother unexpectedly. Those 4 weeks completely changed the way I view life.

The two main things I strive to live by is 1) Always do what makes me happy and 2) Never let the thoughts of others break me.

That second one I constantly struggle with, but I'm hoping with the weight loss, I will gain confidence and a backbone.

Whatever happens, Pam, you do you, and don't ever let anyone break your spirit!!!

@@mngreeneyes The fact you even consider running a marathon and training for one makes you a winner! There's nothing about that that could be considered a failure. Just be careful and stop when you need to!

This is me... ;-)post-287902-14636871109965_thumb.jpg

Edited by KristenLe

@@KristenLe

That is me too. Also my stomach and chicken wings. :)

pam

@@mngreeneyes

I'm so sorry they have told you they can't recommend it just because there isn't much research and they just "don't know."

Personally I think that's a silly reason. If you are mindful and careful what is the danger?

Here's my story... Overweight most of my life, truly obese following having my kids. Yo-yo-ing up and down the scale for years. Never much of an athlete after I quit swim team at age 10. In high school PE I was one of the girls walking in the back when everyone did runs.

I started couch to 5k at a few weeks post op. Did my first 5k 4 months post op, had to walk about a third. First 10k 9 months post op. First half marathon 10 months post op. First full marathon 1.5 years post op.

Can't tell you how many 5k's, 10k's and half's I've done but I have placed second in my age group and that same 5k I did my first one at the 2nd and 3rd time I did the same race post op, regularly place 1/2nd at 5 and 10k's and am doing my second full marathon next weekend!

Don't let them tell you you can't. Sure injury is possible and yes you will often get hungrier when you're running. But be mindful and deliberate. Check how your joints and muscles are feeling and adjust accordingly. Develop a nutrition plan and stick to it, maybe adjust to the increase in hunger but not sure if I'd say "listen to your body" for food, we got fat listening to our bodies.

Anyhow just wanted to say it can be done! I'm 2.5 years out and far below the goal weight my surgeon set for me. 17% body fat, wear a size 4 and am very healthy!

@@jess9395

I know you were speaking to @@mngreeneyes but I wanted to say thank you for sharing. I so needed some reassurance and your story has done that.

Keep up the good work!!

@@jess9395

Thanks for the encouragement. You have put my mind at ease about continuing to push on. Your story is an inspiration.

I understand what you say about listening to your body about hunger. I should clarify that what I meant was about hitting the wall, not hunger. I have experienced this already as I ramp up my mileage. A few weeks ago as my mileage and duration increased, I found myself hitting a wall both when running and after. I felt like I had zero energy. No gas left in the tank. I upped my calories from 800 to 1000 and added a snack before I run. That combination made it so I don't bonk when I run or after. I have been a little bit hungrier, but not too much and I plan to stay with my calorie count unless and until I find myself bonking again.

On a side note, I ran 4.1 miles on Saturday, my longest run to date. I also paired up with another slow runner from my group run and encouraged her to keep going when she wanted to quit. She ran farther and faster than she had before and thanked me for being her encourager. We are planning to run together again. It sure made the time go faster too. :D

Thanks again. Keep up the great running!

pam