Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im 11 days post-op. Soft food stage.

I feel energy is low understandably since im not taking in as much. I feel i am still finding my way with food like what goes down easily and what doesn't . yogurts and banana are good, egg not so much. I don't feel hungry either ! its quite strange. Water and liquid intake is a struggle, i need to work on it.

How hard is it to hydrate enough during your workouts? I am really nervous about that.

@@Seastars I'm 5 weeks out. Clearly my stomach is no longer so swollen. Drinking Water is no longer a problem. Keeping my workouts modest, but just finished 25 min. on the elliptical and drank 10 oz during that time. You'll be fine.

Thanks, Silver! My surgeon told me yesterday that I can't hike or bike hills for several weeks after surgery, because she thinks I won't get enough liquid in. She thinks I should just walk/elliptical for those weeks. I am really hoping she's being overly conservative - I have June 22 surgery and do NOT want to miss out on hiking during the beautiful weather in June & July! (Last weekend I hiked about 4-5 hours per day, with moderate elevation gains, and needed about 320oz Water each day.) I seriously think I should start practicing "constant sipping." Sounds like it will be a good post-op skill.

You might want to plan some lovely hikes on level ground for the first month or so. I love to hike but don't think I could hydrate that much yet! Honestly my biggest problem early on was remembering to drink. I could only get in an ounce or two, then would get distracted and forget to drink for an hour or two. Practice sounds like a good idea...

You might want to plan some lovely hikes on level ground for the first month or so. I love to hike but don't think I could hydrate that much yet! Honestly my biggest problem early on was remembering to drink. I could only get in an ounce or two, then would get distracted and forget to drink for an hour or two. Practice sounds like a good idea...

Thanks! It's so great to have this forum, to get real feedback on things I think may be a challenge later. I may also practice with a camelbak - I've got one but usually just use bottles. Camelbak would better suit constant sipping. Flatter hikes are a smart idea, too.

How's the reflux? Any problems?

Hey there! I was a lower BMI going in for revision from band to sleeve (34.6). I'm 6 weeks out and feel like I could do anything. I live in Florida and it's HOT. Hot hot!!! I'm outside most of the day and if anything, I have a lot more endurance than before and no issues at all with staying hydrated. I kind of don't understand the hydration issue some people are talking about... After the initial swelling goes getting fluids in is no problem- or maybe I was just lucky!!

I also went on an overnight kayaking trip exactly a month out from surgery. Just me and my 12 year old daughter. We kayaked the entire day, set up camp totally on our own, kayaked the next day and loaded gear into truck. Again, no problems at all. I packed a lot of low cal Gatorade and Water in my mini cooler and of course too my Protein shakes. :)

I totally agree with others that your should listen to your doctor and take it slow to begin with. I just wanted to share my experience- it's been so much easier physically than I ever anticipated. The food and hunger part is different- that's mental work! But I'm so glad my body is enjoying the challenge.

Enjoy all the activities, stay safe and hydrated! :)post-77434-14648121292799_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am a month out and feeling a lot like jaxmom. We are moving the middle of June and I have packed the entire house and moved quite a bit of stuff up and down stairs. My energy level has been good also and definitely no problems getting fluids down other than remembering lol. I think the camelbak is a great idea...you can sip every 10 steps!! Good luck to you and let us know if you have any other questions.

@@jaxmom

Can i swap with you??? Here in sydney its cold cold cold... we suddenly have a cold winter snap here.... as an Australian i do not tolerate the cold very well.... i much prefer hot hot hot!!!

I am spending my evenings rugged up defrosting.

Its 6.30am here... and i am freezing!!! I hate going to work during the cold!! Brrr

RNYoyo and jaxmom, can I give you big, squishy (on my side only, you leanbodies!) hugs? You guys and silverthreads have really brought my smile back. (That and learning I don't have to do the liver diet, HALLELUJAH.) Thank you!!! And way to go on your strong, healthy recovery!

I am just over 7 months post op sleeve. I was a fairly low bmi when i had surgery, 35.8 i think. My goal was 175, i am now at 166-7 or so, i think thats a 23.1 bmi. I exercise heavily, which i think was a large part of my success. i am currently training for a triathlon, exercise and lift weights 9 times a week.

RNYoyo and jaxmom, can I give you big, squishy (on my side only, you leanbodies!) hugs? You guys and silverthreads have really brought my smile back. (That and learning I don't have to do the liver diet, HALLELUJAH.) Thank you!!! And way to go on your strong, healthy recovery!

Of course you can!! All of us sleevers have to stick together. I love big, squishy hugs!! Soon we'll all be healthy leanbodies winning our losing battle

So glad we can bring a smile to your face!

@@Seastars I haven't had any reflux problems at all. I do take my omeprazole every morning as directed, but my surgeon says I can try skipping it when I'm about 2 months out.

The big thing on the hiking and hydration is you don't want to get half way up a ridge or something, unknowingly dehydrated and then get into a heat crisis. It can come on you very quickly and hopefully you'll have someone with you because your judgement quickly becomes impaired. If you feel this coming on of course you need to get out of the sun, rest and hydrate! Perhaps too much information but I'm a former Army officer -- and I've seen it happen even to young healthy soldiers (often because they've been drinking the night before and are thus dehydrated) and it seems to come out of nowhere. Just don't put yourself at risk needlessly -- plan a nice safe hike that you can enjoy without overdoing it in those early weeks/months until you've had some experience with your new situation and know your new limits (if any).

Have fun! You've inspired me -- I think I might walk around the local lake this evening, it's a beautiful spot!

Edited by silverthreads

Awwwwww.... Yes!!!! But I warn you I'm a hugger too and I've been told I hug too hard. Is there really such a thing?

I say no!

Here is a hug for finding out you don't have to do the liver diet. I'm doing a little dance for you too. La la la la la.

This surgery has released some crazy surge of energy in me to the point where my poor family has taken to hiding from me (the dog too- traitor!).

Next week my kids and I head down to Miami where they will go to summer camp for 7 weeks. It's a science and archeology camp right on Biscayne Bay. They get to kayak, fish, dissect sharks, tromp through the Everglades and check out Indian middens. The problem is they won't let me in!!! Something about an "age limit".

Pffft.

So I've devised a mommy camp- I bike, kayak, take yoga classes and can mango chutney that no one will eat. This will be our 4th year doing this and last year the heat got to me... Now that I've had surgery I cannot WAIT. I love the idea of a camelback for my adventures. Ok, off to REI to make that purchase!

Don't forget the sunscreen people! :)