Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stress tightening my band?

I was informed of some distressing news at work yesterday and it has been on my mind alot. Since then, I have hardly been able to eat. Last night had about 1/2 c of salad and then PBed my Pasta (which I normally don;t have trouble eating).

This morning could not eat at all and even Water was gurgling going down. I tried a couple of nuts that keep in my desk and could only manage 2-3. I am now having some Soup for sustenance and it is gurgling as well.

I have heard that stress can cause the band to tighten. Has anyone experienced this and will it loosen again?

Thanks

Stress can do a LOT with a band. A WHOLE lot.

I know one gal that has a gazillion kids, all boys. She can't eat dinner wtih them. The "boy" behaviors stress her out to the point that she has to go in the living room and eat or she can't get anything down.

Of course, teaching the boys a few manners might go a long way but what do I know? I'm a non parent. :)

OMG,

Yes, it does. My husband of 25 years and I have been going through some really tough couple of weeks just arguing and he's going through a bad midlife crisis, and it's been so tight I can't hardly eat. My surgeon put me on a prescription for it and it has helped but it does get tighter and during TOM if does. Hope everything at work gets better. Sorry to hear you got some bad news. It will loosen back up to normal if you can get through all the stress.

Hugs,

Sherri Jo

Stress can do a LOT with a band. A WHOLE lot.

I know one gal that has a gazillion kids, all boys. She can't eat dinner wtih them. The "boy" behaviors stress her out to the point that she has to go in the living room and eat or she can't get anything down.

Of course, teaching the boys a few manners might go a long way but what do I know? I'm a non parent. :)

I am a parent and I say teach the kids some manners!

Thanks

OMG,

Yes, it does. My husband of 25 years and I have been going through some really tough couple of weeks just arguing and he's going through a bad midlife crisis, and it's been so tight I can't hardly eat. My surgeon put me on a prescription for it and it has helped but it does get tighter and during TOM if does. Hope everything at work gets better. Sorry to hear you got some bad news. It will loosen back up to normal if you can get through all the stress.

Hugs,

Sherri Jo

Sherri Jo...

Can I ask what the Rx is?

I am a parent and I say teach the kids some manners!

Thanks

I agree completely. I can't stand going over to their house. Just walking in the door makes me crazy. I realize I am a dog person more than a kid person but I usually enjoy my friend's kids. I LOVE buying toys, dresses, purses, etc. for the kids. I LOVE playing on the floor with them, teaching them to wiggle their noses and all the other important skills in life. But those kids... AAAAHHHH!

Yes, teach kids manners so the adults around them don't want to run off and cut their own wrists just for a break from the screaming and wall climbing.

Did I mention I'm a dog person? Heh...

Oh Lord, I learned about the 'band stress strangle' early this week! I only have 1cc in my 4cc band right now and I was still able to eat just about everything. Then on Monday DH went in for his band and dang if I couldn't get ANYTHING solid down for Monday or Tuesday morning. Until he was discharged, I was so stressed and tight that eating solids was literally painful! He's home and doing great, so I'm back on solids and doing great too :)

I agree completely. I can't stand going over to their house. Just walking in the door makes me crazy. I realize I am a dog person more than a kid person but I usually enjoy my friend's kids. I LOVE buying toys, dresses, purses, etc. for the kids. I LOVE playing on the floor with them, teaching them to wiggle their noses and all the other important skills in life. But those kids... AAAAHHHH!

Yes, teach kids manners so the adults around them don't want to run off and cut their own wrists just for a break from the screaming and wall climbing.

Did I mention I'm a dog person? Heh...

I am a dog person too! I have a Japanese Chin! I cannot stand bad manners on kids - they are not born that way - they need to be directed to learn what is appropriate. I blame the parents.

This is fascinating. WasaBubble butt - can you explain the physiology around the band tightening at times of stress?

I know that answer for me personally but for everyone across the board, I'm not sure. I have stomach spasms that get worse with stress. But that isn't common. I can guess at other reasons but I'm not sure anyone knows flat out what causes it.

Stress causes hormonal changes and that can cause a Fluid shift, the muscles could contract during times of stress (tension headache, for example)... there are lots of reasons it could happen but I'm not sure of the most common. It would probably be a good thing for me to research!

I think that the stomach just naturally reacts to stress that way. When I was in college, during exam times I always had to be very careful what I would eat otherwise I'd have crippling indigestion .... from bananas even! My whole GI system gets messed up if I'm under too much stress. I even have a Rx for it if it gets really bad (Donnatal). As a matter of fact, sometimes I don't even know I'm stressed until my stomach starts acting up!

BTW, the practice of Yoga is awesome in teaching you ways to relieve stress. It's all about BREATHING! And yes, it's just that easy.

I have been under a tremendous amount of stress for the past few weeks and my band has been even tighter than usual and I am pb'ing a lot and everything that I eat is painful. It's an awful feeling. I don't know which is worse... the pain and pb'ing from eating, or the stress and the way it makes you feel. urghh

In my case , stress is really bad for me I get so tight I always wonder if there is something really bad wrong but when I finally calm down I go back to normal, or as normal as I can be,lol

Thanks all - I feel better that this is "normal". Things should resolve themselves at work within a couple of weeks, meantime, I will try to compartmentalize - the weekend is coming up, no work and relax!

Can't comment on the stress, but "I cannot stand bad manners on kids - they are not born that way - they need to be directed to learn what is appropriate. I blame the parents."

Mother of ten children and breeder pf Great pyrenees dogs, here and I agree...on both--to a degree. I think to a large degree children..and puppies..are born self-centered and both need to be trained to consider the needs of others whoch is the base of good manners.