Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st fill have questions

Hi, I just had my first fill a couple of days ago and I was wondering what is normal after a fill. I can get liquids down no prob, and soft food like frozen yogurt, but when I have more than a couple bites of real food, like any breads or lunch meat ect. I have like a tight burning pain in my throught, is this normal? I'm not starving but I dont ever feel "full", Is this how it will be from now on? I think the dr said I had 1.6 fill??? Any imput on what to expect would be greatly appriciated:help:

Hi! I had my 1st fill two days ago. My doctor told me to stay on liquids for 48 hours and then mushies for the next 24 hours. Yesterday I tried some soft food and it hurt SO bad going down! Nothing ever came back up, but it kept hurting with every bite... So, I couldn't eat much.

This morning it kinda hurts even when I am drinking Water or a Protein shake... I am going to take it easy over the weekend, maybe just drink my meals (however, I hate the whole liquid diet thing!).

I wonder if this is the same feeling your having? I don't know if its "normal" but if I keep feeling it all this weekend I guess I will have to get a little taken out.

I was really upset last night because it hurt so bad (it wasn't like, rush to the hospital, I am dying bad, just very uncomfortable!) Now I am just worried he put too much fill in.

:phanvan:phanvan:phanvan:phanvan:phanvan:phanvan:phanvan:phanvan:phanvan:phanvan

Hi, yah that is exactly how I feel, except I figured out I was taking too big of bites and eating too fast. I probly need more of a fill because I had a hamberger and half a potato for dinner. I wonder if it hurts when you pb, and I also thought the full feeling would be here but its not:(???

Just had my first fill today...not for sure what would be safe to eat. Had a small bite of shaved hamm and it seemed to just rest on top of the pouch/band and hurt. Not so painful I need medical attention but uncomfortable. Should I remain on a liquid diet for a few days...my doctor told me i could eat steak but i just dont see that happening...does that "pain" go away or is this just what i can expect as long as i have the band??

strat

I never had pain following a fill. However if you ARE having pain, then I would for sure go back to liquids for a day or so, then try something soft again. Anytime it causes pain it is irritating something, whether it be your esophagus (the throat hurting) or the stomach, in the band area. Continuing to try to force food through will only result in swelling, which will cause pain, and an evil cycle is developed. If you are still having pain with soft foods after 3 days---I'd call the Dr. and at any time if you cannot drink without pain, or without spitting it back up---go see your Dr!!!

Good luck, I hope the pain stops.

Kat

Hi All. Well, come Friday morning I was having pain with even swallowing liquids so I called the doc and went in to get some fill taken out. I had lost 6lbs in 3 days, so it was obvious that I was too restricted. Since then I kept on liquids and soft foods. Today I am eating a chicken ceaser wrap and its going down fine, but I have definitly noticed the restriction I have now as opposed to before my fill.

I hope you other ladies are doing well! I was shocked at the 6lbs in 3 day loss, but I wouldn't want to be that way all the time. I would rather be less restriced, loose slowly, than be super tight and not being able to eat anything. Thats just not healthy!

Take Care!

I got my first fill on August 1. I don't fill any restriction. I don't fill full. The 2nd day I had trouble when switching from liquids to solids. Other then that I have been able to eat whatever. I don't feel full but make myself stop eating. I am sorry about your problems but I can't offer any advice but it feels good to know that I am not alone. Any suggestions on what can help.:wacko:

weight.png

I was banded on July 19, lost 15 lbs from surgery to 2 1/2 week post op. I've gained back 5 lbs! I have my first fill on August 20. I'm feeling like a failure at having gained 5 lbs. Did anyone else experience this?

I eat, I don't feel full EVER...could I have already stretched my pouch? I'm just really scared and ashamed that maybe I've done something wrong. :help:

I am feeling the same thing. I have only lost 12 lbs in about 1 1/2 months most of which I lost between preop and the first week. I only lost 1.5 lbs the next four weeks. I feel that even though I got a feel 2 weeks ago. I still feel hungry to. I hope all go well with you. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow to see if I can get a feel early. :rolleyes

Yeah, flydove, I hear you. I think I may see about getting in sooner too. Obviously I've healed okay, if I can eat and GAIN weight. I'm frustrated with myself, and know that the band will work, IF I can get a fill and feel full! I mean, gosh, if I had any self control (and this applies just to me---I'm not putting anyone down, I promise), I wouldn't be obese. My obesity is strictly a self-control issue. Not everyone's obesity is self-control-related.

I wish you the very best. I hope you'll let me (us) know what your doc says. I'll post again tomorrow after I get in touch with mine.

Hi Holly and Flydove, I can share my experience so far. banded June 6th lost 14 pounds in the first two weeks. Gained back 7 to 10 pounds before my first fill. First fill on July 28th, no restriction second fill Aug 5th slight restriction. I going in tomorrow for my third. I was not aware that it took many "tries" to find that sweet restriction. I was frustrated with myself too at first for gaining weight but my Doctor said the first 6 weeks are for healing not for lossing weight. You need time for the scar tissue to develope, holding the band in place. After your 1 fill you may or may not feel any restriction. It may take a few fills, every person is different. I had a time table in my mind of how much weight I was going to loss by a certain date. I had to give that up white I was waiting for the restriction. I am still hopeful that the band will work, I just have to give it more time, change my expectation. I wish you both the best, D

Thank you NWDaisy. It's good to be able to draw on so many different experiences. It helps put things into perspective. I appreciate you taking the time to post.

BTW Flydove, my doc told me I have to wait for my first fill on Aug 20 <sigh>. I'll just continue watching what I eat and see what happens.

New Daisy Thanks for your story. It is just so hard because I had a time line in mind. I am trying to call the doctor to get fitted in today for an additional fill. I hope that I can get in. I will keep you posted. Good Luck

Just got back from the Doctors for my second fill. My first fill she put in 3cc. When she checked it I only had 1cc left. She said that it was normal. So I got an additional 2cc. So now I have a total of 3cc in. I hope it goes well. I gained 1.5 lbs back. :heh: