Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

That what's name shall not be spoken

You had me at 13 grams of Protein LOL actually my NUT seems to not be inline with many posts here. Whole grains are added back in after 3 months. They still use that plate where some folks learn about healthy eating and whole grains and starches still have a place at a meal. As an all or nothing yo yo dieters, I really feel this approach will work for me.

From what I have seen in the nutritional epidemiology literature, large studies have consistently shown that whole grains are beneficial for health. The well studied DASH diet, Mediterranean Diet, and even the American Diabetes Association diets all include whole grains. Of course there are still the caveats that carbs, even "good carbs" can stimulate appetite, and obviously people wind up in bariatric surgery OR due to appetite control issues... but to me, IF you have a handle on controlling what you eat, AND you can hold the line at modest portions of whole grains, you will be better off including them.

A quote from one of the abstracts below:

From JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Mar; 175(3): 373–384. "Whole Grain Intake and Mortality: Two Large Prospective Studies in U.S. Men and Women": We documented 26,920 deaths during 2,727,006 person-years of follow-up... These data indicate that higher whole grain consumption is associated with lower total and CVD mortality in U.S. men and women, independent of other dietary and lifestyle factors.

A few sample references:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4429593/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3151731/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4119794/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3674216/

I could certainly eat a whole apple at 8-10 months post-op.

I eat an apple several times a week.

It's GREAT for getting intestines moving, by the way. Great Fiber. ;)

I think that "apple a day" maxim makes a lot of sense.

bread is one of the things my sleeve does NOT like. the only kind that has not come back is Dave's killer bread. That is 5g Protein so I each 1/2 slice with my egg in the morning. I agree - change is NEEDED with our diet.

bread is one of the things my sleeve does NOT like. the only kind that has not come back is Dave's killer bread. That is 5g Protein so I each 1/2 slice with my egg in the morning. I agree - change is NEEDED with our diet.

I understand a lot of people have trouble with bread after surgery. It just doesn't sit well for those folks.

The NUT for my program recommends a balanced diet approach after surgery. Protein first, of course. Carbs still definitely have a place in the diet, but it might be hard to eat much after surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm only four weeks postop, so anything grain isn't on the near horizon for me, but my surgeon and RD also recommend the balanced approach. Right now I'm getting between 40 and 50 gm/day of carbs, from either refried Beans, yogurt, or cottage cheese - plus the Premier Protein has 5 carbs.

Overall I'm only getting in between 600 and 700 calories a day. I'm not eliminating carbs because I need what glycogen I have. The Beans are a great source of Fiber for me, I'm able to get in 10 gm of fiber a day, which means I do not have postop Constipation as many do.

I know some surgeons strongly advocate a no/low carb approach, but I'm grateful that my surgeon and RD think otherwise. I'm a big believer in balance as being sustainable for me for the long haul.

@@2goldengirl ... that's the program my surgeon's team recommends as well -- a balanced, nutritional approach.

Certainly, while losing weight, a WLS patient can't eat everything a body needs. After all, we're eating less than a body needs to lose weight.

But 3-4 months out I started doing my damnedest to eat 21 grams of Fiber a day. Didn't always make it back then, although it's very easy to do today, a year after reaching my weight goal.

Likewise, I strive for 5 veggies and fruits a day. Again, I don't always make it, but often do. And, frankly, if I tried a bit harder, I could certainly do it. Hmm ... making myself a new target there. :)

IMHO, eating nutritiously -- and for us former fatties, a LOT more nutritiously than we used to eat -- is one of the big secrets to long-term WLS success.

Years ago, I had a friend who lost 100 pounds on Weight Watchers. She's maintained that 100 pound loss for the last 10 years. One of her aphorisms about weight loss maintenance is that it's not what you DON'T EAT that helps you maintain a big weight loss, but what you actually EAT. That's her way of expressing that if you eat foods that nourish you and fill you up, then you'll have an easier time resisting the kinds of foods that made us all fat back in the day. For her, that's mostly animal and plant Protein, lots of veggies and fruits, some whole grains, and healthy oils. And then she has her calculated treats.

Sounds a lot like what my surgeon's practice recommends and how I'm handling maintenance thus far.

P.S. I should also note that the big difference between my friend and me was that she'd not been obese very long; her 100 pounds had accumulated over about a three-year period. My obesity was a life-long curse I'd struggled with since the age of seven. For me, the sleeve has been the tool that finally made it possible for me to eat in a way that keeps me healthy. :)

I eat Aldi's Fit and Active 100% whole grain bread a few times a week. Cheap as can be (I think $1.59/loaf?)

Nutritional info for TWO slices:

70 calories

Total carbs: 16 grams

Dietary fiber: 5 grams

Net carbs = 11 grams (5.5 per slice!!)

Protein: 5 grams

And added bonus is it a soft sandwich type of bread with no fiddly bits that fall off. ;)