Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated with Iron Deficiency Anemia Situation - Any Positive Experience?

So I posted a couple of weeks ago about how I am severely anemic with extremely low hemaglobin and Iron levels. My hematologist said it is more common in those with the bypass, but it can still be a side-effect for those with the sleeve, and most often you don't start having the absorbtion problems for a couple years post op (I'm almost 3 years post op).

Anyway, Iron supplements didn't work at all. Hemaglobin stayed the same, but iron actually went lower.. So last week I had to start iron transfusions via IV weekly. I guess I was unrealistic in thinking that I would feel so much better afterwards. It's been a full week - I go for my second transfusion tomorrow - and I still feel awful. I had to take FMLA leave from work because there are literally days I cannot get out of bed for completely and utter lack of exhaustion.

I guess I should have been more realistic. It's not my doctor's fault. She is amazing. I just am frustrated. This has been a 4 month process now of feeling like complete crap and I just was really optimistic that when I finally got the treatments they would work. Sigh. I just want my life back. When I can't even go to work half the time, you can imagine I can't work out. So I am basically burning no calories, apathetic, a little on the blue side, and just want to get back to doing the things I love.....running, barre class, playing outside with my kids. I had surgery to be able to do these things. I got to do them for a couple of years, then I find myself back to not being able to because of this new issue. I'm so complainy....haha.. I'm sorry!

So my question.....

Has anyone else had to get iron transfusions? If so, how long until you got your energy back?

I am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. So what is the QUALITY of the Iron supplements that you have been taking to date? And are you sure to take them at least 4 hours away from any and all Calcium?

Most supplements do not contain the actual amount of active ingredients stated on the label. Nor do they always contain an absorbable version of the Vitamin in question. Most supplements at Walmart and GNC are crap. My Iron only slightly dropped. I started supplementing with Vitron C with a handful (1/4 cup) of whole cashews (which also have iron) as my post-lunch but pre-dinner snack about 2-3 times a week and my iron came right back up.

I also had to supplement Calcium with cal citrate. I got a chewable version from Country Life. It was tricky to do both of these simultaneously.

Also, how much red meat are you eating? meat is the best source of iron.

Thanks for the tips! It was a prescription Iron supplement, so I'm not really sure...there wasn't an active ingredient list on the bottle or anything. I did take with Calcium though as I read that would help. The IV Iron should bypass any of those absorption issues though, going straight to your system and bypassing the gut. It's just frustratingly slow I guess.

I have a blood disorder and I have been getting weekly infusions for sometime now. It may take 2 or 3 infusions (remember the blood recycles every few days). Have they checked your B-12?

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App

We were told in our nutrition class never to take Iron and Calcium together. They block each other in the absorbtion process.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

I have a blood disorder and I have been getting weekly infusions for sometime now. It may take 2 or 3 infusions (remember the blood recycles every few days). Have they checked your B-12?

You do them every week?

They didn't want to do any more blood tests when I started treatments bc my levels were so low. Before my 2nd treatment today they are doing lab work that I believe included B12

Yes I get them weekly (I have been for 2-3 months now) along with B12 shots. My hemotologist actually increased the amount I am getting at each infusion and now my numbers are starting to go up.

What were your numbers?

My hemoglobin was a 7 & Iron was a 1 after the 3 months of oral supplements. She said usually it's a two-dose transfusion treatment, but we would have to see if it helps I guess. I definitely don't feel any better yet

Yes I get them weekly (I have been for 2-3 months now) along with B12 shots. My hemotologist actually increased the amount I am getting at each infusion and now my numbers are starting to go up.

I wonder if it's the same kind I'm getting. She said it's a new version of the Iron & it doesn't take as many

Thanks for the tips! It was a prescription Iron supplement, so I'm not really sure...there wasn't an active ingredient list on the bottle or anything. I did take with Calcium though as I read that would help. The IV Iron should bypass any of those absorption issues though, going straight to your system and bypassing the gut. It's just frustratingly slow I guess.

I was told to take my Iron with C and to not take near the same time I take Calcium (or eat high calcium foods).

Since you are three years post-op, how long have you been anemic? Did this just happen or has your iron been low for a while?

I am just curious. I was anemic pre-op, but so far have not had an issue post-op (probably because I no longer have severe menstrual bleeding since I started menopause and have been taking supplements).

I hope you start feeling better soon!

My friend gets that one. Is it on a needle? I will get the name on Thursday when I go back in. Oral supplements do absolutely nothing for me. My disorder actually postponed my surgery, when I finally got it I was at 9 and 4. I can usually tell when it is very low. I have shortness of breath, weak, dizzy, etc. I hope you feel better soon because I know it sucks.

I was told to take my Iron with C and to not take near the same time I take Calcium (or eat high calcium foods).

Since you are three years post-op, how long have you been anemic? Did this just happen or has your iron been low for a while?

I am just curious. I was anemic pre-op, but so far have not had an issue post-op (probably because I no longer have severe menstrual bleeding since I started menopause and have been taking supplements).

I hope you start feeling better soon!

It was absolutely fine until my 2-year post op blood work. Looking back , the symptoms probably started 2 months or so before that

My friend gets that one. Is it on a needle? I will get the name on Thursday when I go back in. Oral supplements do absolutely nothing for me. My disorder actually postponed my surgery, when I finally got it I was at 9 and 4. I can usually tell when it is very low. I have shortness of breath, weak, dizzy, etc. I hope you feel better soon because I know it sucks.

It's an hour-long IV treatment. And yes, looking back I can see lots of symptoms that I disregarded bc I had no idea I had a problem.

I've been that route for the last 10 years even before surgery- give yourself 3 weeks you will feel fab