Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 years post-op and my scale still freaks me out at times

I was banded on 9/19/07. A red-letter day. Since then I've had ups and downs on the scale and in medical issues, but I've never regretted having WLS. It turned my life - and my head - around. Except that...

After about a year of stable weight, I've been alarmed at gaining 5 pounds in the past month. That is such a puny number compared to my weight gains in the past that I'm embarrassed to admit it, but just 5 pounds freaks me out. It makes me want to smash my scale with a sledge hammer, if only I could find one. And perhaps that lack is a good thing. Knowing me, I'd smash my scale, my foot, and the porcelain tile in the bathroom, at a high cost all 'round.

I've logged my food to test my calorie intake, and can't find an explanation there. It's possible that high sodium intake contributes to this, but I'm here to tell ya: my XS-capacity bladder gives me frequent and vivid messages quite soon after sodium indiscretion. So of course, with the weight gain/loss/gain/loss history I bear, I'm in a panic. Until today, when my XS bladder sent me to the loo for the 40th time in 4 hours (perhaps a small exaggeration) and I suddenly realized that (sorry if this is TMI) I'd pulled down my size 4 pants without unzipping them. Again. I raced into my closet to check the size tags on the pants hanging there, and they were size 4's. Yes, this has happened before. I report it now because (of course) I want your sympathy but also because the public declaration reminds me that this is, as I've said so, so many times, a lifetime journey.

Jean

And the years keep going by....

Isn't it all so relative? I'm thrilled when my size 10's get loose. Not so thrilled when my 12's feel snug.

And again. Another fill or another unfill of a tiny bit.... And another year goes by and still I'm so thankful to be on this side of " normal sized"..... Whatever that means to each of us.

And I'm so happy to read other veterans posts because it gives me much hope that my 2006 lapband is staying and doing it's job.

I think my ( retiring) doctor said it best I'm my medical records ..... FIT AND WELL NOURISHED. I might want a bumper sticker or tattoo .... It made me feel wonderful !!!

I'm 3 yrs in and only down 27lbs. To explain its not the LB's fault. Just a month after my surgery I had a major diverticulitis attack. Hospital for 4 days - I new antibiotic that almost killed me-shock reaction. Went home & started on the LB after surgery diet. Everything went through me nothing stayed in. Was told I needed a Colon resectioning -12" removed or it might rupture & be much worse. Still could not eat any kind of food went right thru again. 3 months of this & I lost 25 lbs. Stomach dr (3rd one) finally told me to take Florastor(probiotic) & aloe Vera juice. After a week on this I was finally able to eat & keep it in. Now is where the trouble starts- yeah I can eat & eat I did until I was back to my pre-surgery required weight. For 2 yrs I said the hell with it. Last Sept. I got the exercise bug. Been going to the gym associated with the LB surgeons 2-3 times a week Love my trainer. Finally broke down & went to the new dr who took over for my original dr. Got a plan for one month then I will see if I need a fill or they'll do one of those swallows to be sure the band is working. I am hopeful now after 3 years thought the band could do it all- realized I have to work at it too. Stupid me. I don't regret getting the band now I have to do the work that comes along with it. Sorry have read so many stories here had to share mine.

FIT AND WELL-NOURISHED. Can't get much better than that!

At the end of the visit the last time I saw my internist (routine checkup), he said, "You're doing a wonderful job of taking care of yourself." That short sentence is solid gold to me.

And the years keep going by....
Isn't it all so relative? I'm thrilled when my size 10's get loose. Not so thrilled when my 12's feel snug.
And again. Another fill or another unfill of a tiny bit.... And another year goes by and still I'm so thankful to be on this side of " normal sized"..... Whatever that means to each of us.

And I'm so happy to read other veterans posts because it gives me much hope that my 2006 lapband is staying and doing it's job.
I think my ( retiring) doctor said it best I'm my medical records ..... FIT AND WELL NOURISHED. I might want a bumper sticker or tattoo .... It made me feel wonderful !!!

Yikes. Dealing with a medical "train wreck" like yours would put anyone off course. I'm so glad to hear that your health is now improved enough to allow you to concentrate on working that band of yours. Just understanding that your band alone can't do it all gives you an advantage. And as far as I'm concerned, exercise is super medicine. It not only helps me burn calories and stay fit and healthy, it's better than any psychiatric med I've ever taken for improving my mental health and outlook! And since I exercise with a group of women, it's a great social thing.

I'm 3 yrs in and only down 27lbs. To explain its not the LB's fault. Just a month after my surgery I had a major diverticulitis attack. Hospital for 4 days - I new antibiotic that almost killed me-shock reaction. Went home & started on the LB after surgery diet. Everything went through me nothing stayed in. Was told I needed a Colon resectioning -12" removed or it might rupture & be much worse. Still could not eat any kind of food went right thru again. 3 months of this & I lost 25 lbs. Stomach dr (3rd one) finally told me to take Florastor(probiotic) & aloe Vera juice. After a week on this I was finally able to eat & keep it in. Now is where the trouble starts- yeah I can eat & eat I did until I was back to my pre-surgery required weight. For 2 yrs I said the hell with it. Last Sept. I got the exercise bug. Been going to the gym associated with the LB surgeons 2-3 times a week Love my trainer. Finally broke down & went to the new dr who took over for my original dr. Got a plan for one month then I will see if I need a fill or they'll do one of those swallows to be sure the band is working. I am hopeful now after 3 years thought the band could do it all- realized I have to work at it too. Stupid me. I don't regret getting the band now I have to do the work that comes along with it. Sorry have read so many stories here had to share mine.

Thanks Jean. I do believe getting back into my training helped me get back on the "bandwagon". My worst thing is grazing at night. Last night I got a little hungry cause I actually only ate 4ozs for supper. WOW. So I peeled an apple & ate that instead of a whole sleeve of saltines which is what I really wanted. One day at a time.

Thanks Jean. I do believe getting back into my training helped me get back on the "bandwagon". My worst thing is grazing at night. Last night I got a little hungry cause I actually only ate 4ozs for supper. WOW. So I peeled an apple & ate that instead of a whole sleeve of saltines which is what I really wanted. One day at a time.

I have been through a lot the past 8 1/2 years. Banned in 9/07 at 285 lost 100 lbs by 12/09 then I stopped paying attention and 4 years later I was back to 250 by 1/1/13 I said enough is enough and got back on the band wagon and 3 years later have lost 70 lbs.

I too am a late night grazer and what works for me is to get up early and go to bed by 9:00 PM.

Still dislike it when my body goes through those long stalls fortunately I continue to make more good choices then bad.

Thanks, I actually thought about doing that. Going to bed earlier, getting up earlier. It's just that I retired the year I was banded & swore I'd never set another alarm. LOL