Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Day God Gave me a 2nd chance 12-9-14 7 am

post-287724-1458439422869_thumb.jpg post-287724-14584394406139_thumb.jpg

Thought I would tell my story of how I got to where I am today!post-287724-14584400993579_thumb.jpg

At age 20, my body went into Menopause. I was told I couldnt have children and that with going into menopause many more health problems were going to appear. I had sleep apnea, I got winded just going from the car to my house. Every morning when I woke up I felt like I was 90 years old. Everything hurt or cracked even. I was always tired, my depression was very severe, on all kinds of medicine.

Being so outta shape I missed out on a lot growing up, I had very little to no self esteem or confidence.

I had tried every diet plan known to man, diet pills, ect. I gained weight rather than lose it. I became very discouraged, and wanted to give up. But I was tired of being called the fat girl, and my nephews referring to me as the bigger aunt. So I knew it was time for a change.

I started researching surgeries. and making Pros and Cons lists. My Psychologist referred me to a few doctors. Then my aunt gave me her doctors number. I decided on Dr. Poplawski outta Ypsilanti Michigan. I went threw a seminar and picked my surgery of choice:Gastric Bypass. Then went through various testings and bloodwork to even be considered for surgery. For my insurance at the time I had to take 6 months of diet pill before they even approved me. So i did that. Sadly, I gained weight due to all my psych medication and was denied from that insurance. But luckily my mom was in the process of changing insurances, and the new one only needed a letter of recommendation and my BMI number. I was approved after a week. Then my surgeon approved me around Thanksgiving and the date was set: DECEMBER 9,2014 my life was going to drastically change for the better. So many emotions ran through me: Excitment,Scared,Worry, the list goes on. I even made pros and cons list of if I should go through with it. I asked my boyfriend if he would love me regardless. He said he didn't care what I did, as long as I was happy. He said I was beautiful to him no matter what.

Finally the day of surgery arrived. My mom, stepdad, aunt, and boyfriend all came to the hospital with me. I was taken to the prep room where everyone said good luck. I was so nervous but excited to see where life was going to take me after that day. After surgery I dont remember much from being so drugged. But I do remember my boyfriend stayed with me all day long, regardless of my zoning in and out of sleep. He is the one that took the hospital photo. I was in the hospital for 3 days, 2 nights.

The first 3 weeks were so painful, I had so many regrets because the pain medicine they gave me didnt work. I couldnt sleep worth a lick, hurt to move anytime. I spent many nights crying myself to sleep. Asking my mom to take it back, that I wanted to sleep like everyone else..But after those few weeks the pain slowly went away. The dieting was very hard at time, because like many of you know, you have to retrain yourself to eat, to live. I over ate many times in the begining causing myself to throw up. I eventually learned how to eat right and it got a lot better. I started walking on a treadmill, lifting small weights got into a routine...I wont lie, the exercising got old and drifted away from my routine. But I still lost the weight and didnt gain.

Now 1 year and 3 months,161 pounds later I see life in a new perspective. I take a minute to smell the roses. I have tried new things that I would be afraid to try in the past.For example ice skating, something simple as sitting on someone's lap, and wearing a bikini. I picked a bikini out for summer time.Never in a million years did I think I would buy one or even try one on...

At first I became a little scale obessed, I would weigh myself daily, then it was twice a day. Now I weigh myself once a week or every other week. Dont let the scale define you, or own you. It can become a little nerve ending. I would get so upset by just a tiny ounce of a gain.

I am starting to exercise more, so I can tone my loose skin, see if I need surgery to remove it or not. I jump between 186 and 189 but its normal to jump back and forth. I dont mind jumping, as long as I never see a 2 or 3 as the first number on the scale.

I hope being honest in my story helps you all out, the ones regretting the sugery, the ones deciding if they should, the ones just looking for a little inspiration. I apologize for the length, but thank you for taking the time to read my story.

Starting Weight: 347

Current Weight: 186

Goal Weight: 175

Surgery date: 12-9-14 (age: 22)

My Reason for never giving up: My Nephews and Niece and boyfriend. They motivate me to never give up..

My mantra: Never Give Up, Push through the hard parts.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for your testimony. I was scale obsessed also my weight jumps between 183 to 186. My surgery date was sept. 17, 2015 starting weight 257 I'm now at 183. Thank you for the encouragement

Congrats to you [emoji122]???? ..a lovely story. It was also very brave of you to make the decision so young, now you have a long life ahead of you were you can life to the fullest.

Thank you for sharing, what a wonderful story! Congratulations to you for persevering and making it to where you are now!

Congratulations on the weight loss and being so close to goal! You're doing great and look fabulous.

What an inspirational story! Thank you for sharing.

pam

Congratulations on your weight loss and what a beautiful smile you have in both pictures! I can relate to God giving me a second chance as well. Also I had to learn to stop obsessing over the scale and see beauty is more than a number. Thanks for posting.