Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise/Lifting 1 Week Post Op?

Ok so I'm not exercising, but I have a disabled dog (completely paralyzed on her back legs) and we need to carry her from room to room and outside to express her bladder. My husband helps when he's home, but he's been at work and I am 5 days post op. She's a 34 lb cocker spaniel (super light) and I was able to effortlessly pick her up in her bed and bring her to the bedroom and put her in the tub to have her go to the bathroom. I guess my biggest question is: will this hurt me in the end? Should I just get help from someone else? It doesn't bother me at all to bend over (just mildly) and carrying her didn't feel like much. I have only been taking Tylenol at night to sleep so no pain killer Hercules moment, I like to access my pain and know how I feel and that's how I know how much I can handle in the day. Thanks so much!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was on lifting restrictions (no more than a gallon of milk ~2-5 pounds) for the first two weeks. You may be just fine, but you are taking a risk of something happening. Call your doctor's office and ask about any weight limits ASAP.

It isn't just about pain or lack thereof, it's about pulling your stitches out or otherwise stressing your body in ways it should not be stressed so soon after surgery.

I was also on a restriction for lifting.

Nothing more than 10lbs for two weeks like FrankiesGirl - don't risk pulling a stitch (that you cant see) and a trip to the ER or OR!

If you are in PAIN, YES!!!

I am sure you have a post-op appt, right? Call doctor about lifting (stop until then) and see doctor as they are the guys with the medical training.

You are probably fine but 35lbs is a bit much IMHO. I am not a doctor, or pretending to be one...just a sister sleever who thinks you need to hold off on lifting that much this soon.

Ok i just spoke with the doc on call (I'm not in pain at all just a hypochondriac) and he said if I had a hernia I'd know it and wouldn't need to call and he'd be getting a call from the emergency room. This was definitely a "Scared Straight" moment for me to slow down and let the husband handle all the hard stuff for a while

@@nyhila - so what did he say about weight restriction? how much/how long?

I came back to work 12 days after surgery. I am required to lift 40lbs by myself. About a week after being back I picked up something that weighs about 50lbs, not thinking about the surgery because I felt so good. I felt it later. After that, I followed the lifting restrictions to the letter. I was allowed 40lbs around 2 months.

My co-worker willingly stepped in for me so I could do my job and not be at home (not getting paid either). He was 27 at the time and yelling at me for lifting ANYTHING, for well past the two months criteria.

Better safe, than a trip to ER or OR ~

My Dr. said not to lift anything over 10 lbs for six weeks. I listen because I have had multiple abdominal surgeries and after one of them I was lifting-nothing major and developed a hernia in my incision line. Lesson learned because I had to walk around with a bulge sticking out from.my stomach. I was small then so to me it was noticeable. Had to get it repaired during my next surgery. So now I don't lift or strain what so ever. Hubby knows that it will just sit there until he is home and able to do it. So be careful. You will hate to cause additional issues!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

I wasn't allowed to do strenuous exercise until I was 6 weeks postop.

I wasn't allowed to lift anything over 15lbs the first 2 weeks, then nothing over 30lbs until 6 weeks.

My Great Dane puppy was 80lbs when I was done surgery, and she thinks she's a lap dog, so I know how you feel!

But I was very careful to not let her jump on me, carry laundry, groceries, anything like that

On another note....what sweet doggy parents you are! You're sacrificing a lot just for her quality of life!

Thanks everyone!! Definitely no hernia but I KNOW I'll be feeling it later. Now I just gotta concentrate on getting all these liquids down NOT EASY!!!!!!

Also how long did y'all wait to drive?? I'm driving myself now to target to get more Water. I'm just trusting my body and myself (not on pain killers)

That would def be a great question for your doctor but with mine, he has put me on a 25lb weight lifting restriction for 4 weeks after surgery

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

My husband won't let me drive yet and I had my surgery on 3/7. He said that I am too weak. I loved to be chauffeured, so I don't mind, lol. I started on puree foods yesterday and my energy level has already improved. Other than my energy, I could have driven. I haven't had any pain meds since 3/10.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App