Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Head Hunger! ahhh im losing my mind!

I'm 8 days post op and feel like I can't get control of my head hunger. It's going to drive me mad! Is this something that just naturally fades or will it constantly be a problem? I all of a sudden drool over everything and get emotional watching my kids and husband eating dinner. I expected head hunger to rear it's head occasionally but its been constant and feels like torture. Looking for encouragement, advice, and tips to deal with this...i had this surgery to help break my addiction to unhealthy food and overeating, I am committed and do not regret it at all... Just going through a rough patch right now

Hi hang in there! I haven't the term head hunger but I totally get it being 1 month post op. I'm almost never REALLY hungry, there have even been times when I remind myself it's time to eat, but man when my roommate is cooking the smells are almost overwhelming, anything he cooks smells incredible.... how weird

Hello!

Like any addiction, a food addiction can be really hard to break. We've had surgery on our bodies to reduce the physiological causes of hunger, but now we can really see just how much of our hunger was never really hunger and was all emotional. It can be sort of overwhelming, and frustrating, and sad. I'm almost 7 months out and I still experience it every now and then.

Do you see a therapist? Many, many people can attest to how helpful talking to a professional can be. You're trying to kick a major addiction here, one that has probably been plaguing you for many years. Perhaps even your whole life. That's not uncommon with gastric surgery patients, and it's nothing at all to be ashamed of. Get help if you need it! You don't have to deal with this alone.

As with most things, it's going to take time and a lot of effort and will-power to learn to deal with this. Maybe you'll feel it for the rest of your life. The difference is, you will learn how to control it. Hopefully you will also learn coping techniques and surrogate, healthy sensations to replace food with. This thing that feels so incredibly overwhelming now could very soon get much, much easier to deal with.

There's no denying you have the will-power and strength. You've made it this far, haven't you? :)

Get whatever help you need. You're not alone. Keep us posted here - we all understand and want to help.

Hang in there!

I am pre-surgery, but I totally understand the 'head hunger' stuff... especially since I've been trying to be more aware of my eating style and habits... it's hard.

I like the idea of a little therapy to help us through this, I also think that we have to get our heads around something other than food... exercise is not my biggest appeal for sure, so I'm thinking perhaps a new hobby... gardening, painting, drawing, writing... bicycling, photography.... I don't know, but Something that keeps my mind busy that's enjoyable.

Maybe finding a new focus might help?

I started therapy a few months ago and plan on talking about this in my next session(haven't had one yet since surgery) I totally agree about the value of therapy and I am so grateful I am in it now. I got back on the treadmill again today and it felt great! I think I need to stay busy and keep my eye on the goal. I think I'm going through carb withdrawals lol but the scale is moving in the right direction and it feels fantastic! I'm not sure why but pre surgery I expected to be turned off of food post op, that was not the case at all! So now I just need to adjust and embrace my new life :)