Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Expected Weight Loss

Does anybody else take their measurements every month? I have found that, even when the scale doesn't move for 3 weeks, I still am losing inches.

Yep! I highly recommend it. I keep a spreadsheet on Google Drive.

Most of the time people think in terms of percentage of excess weight loss. A person with 200# to lose is going to lose way "faster" than somebody with 75# to lose - but the percentages might be the same.

The rough guideline I received was that at 6 months, most sleevers have lost 40-60% of their EXCESS weight. I beat it by a few points... I think /i had lost about 63% of my excess at 6 months. However, it took me another 8 months to get to goal, and lose 100% of the excess.... because it does indeed slow down.

I just checked the historical records....ha... i had lost 94# (that includes 8# lost in the 2 weeks preop). I lost 150# in 14 months to get to goal. I lost I think 168 to get down to the 140 range.

I currently weigh 153, under my goal, but little higher than my lowest. I am 4 years post opl.

Focusing on the percentage of excess weight lost is definitely logical,.................and yet it didn't occur to me to do that instead of fixating on the number on the scale. Thanks for your post. I've lost 79% of my excess weight (as determined by my own original goal weight and BMI) from my highest weight at six months and two weeks out. I've set a new goal weight so I do still have a ways to go, but I'm making better progress than I thought. That's certainly a much more encouraging (and sensible) way to look at it than I had been.

yes, that is a much more sensible way to look at it, except Math. :-) I couldn't figure it that way to save me life.

I understand, haha. :) This is a handy percentage calculator: http://www.percentagecalculator.net/

Take your starting weight and then subtract your goal weight to determine your excess body weight. On the second row of the calculator, enter in the amount of weight you've lost thus far on the left, and then put in the amount of your excess body weight on the right. Hit calculate.

So, the controversial part is the "goal weight". The target weight for me to have lost 100percent is for me to weigh 140#. At least when I am well muscled, that weight is too low. So I lost 100percent to get to goal, but not quite 100percent they way it is calculated.

So the math is simple...using this example as an illustration only:

Start weight = 225

Target weight =125

Excess =100

If I lose 50# 50/100=50percent

80# 80/100=80 percent etc

Since your numbers arent likely so "round" use a calculator. My start was 308, my target is 140, my excess was 168. I hit my goal weight by losing 150....150/168=89 percent of excess weight lost.

At 6 months I had lost 94/168# so I had lost 56 percent of my excess by 6 months.

Why do I share this??? Anybody that knows and sees me considers me trim/fit at my goal and would say I lost ALL my excess whereas statistically I only lost 89 percent.

So when you see statistics of people losing 80percent of their excess weight - chances are that group of people has done pretty well!! Not all of us fit into the lower BMI bucket..our build, musuclar structure etc cause us to weigh heavy and yet our success is measured by the same stick.

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

I actually like that my nutritionist gave me a target body fat percentage, instead of goal weight. She estimated that I would get down to about 165, which I set as my goal weight, but emphasized that she wanted me under 25% body fat. I reached that 25% body fat goal long before I was under 165, because I worked out A LOT and built muscle. Now I weigh 159 and my body fat percentage is under 22%.

On the day of my surgery, I weighed 236 and had a body fat percentage of 48.2%. That means I had 113.75 pounds of fat.

I now weigh 159 and have a body fat percentage of 21.7%. That means I have 34.5 pounds of fat.

So while I have "only" lost a total of 77 pounds post-op, I have lost 79.25 pounds of fat. Which means I've actually gained a couple pounds of muscle!

I will be six months out next week and I started at 244. I have lost 42 pounds. So far this chart runs true for me. It says I can expect to lose 35 to 45 pounds. Sometimes I feel disappointed in myself until I look at this chart again to remind myself that I am doing normal.

That's great!!! I feel the same way. I am 6 weeks out and only down 15lbs. I thought I would drop 20 like nothing. I started at 215lbs, so I figured I may lose slower. Hoping by the 2 month mark I can be down 20lbs. If I can average 10lbs a month I will feel secure in my weight loss!