Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am experiencing some serious cravings since one day postop - I am now almost 4 weeks postop & I haven’t properly cheated but that is only purely down to fear!

I am really interested to see how soon people had a cheat meal or junk food after the surgery?

Also, how many of you have completely removed all the old junk food from your diet? Or how many of you allowed yourself treats in moderation?

I just had my first post op visit to my psychologist and we were discussing whether I am one of those people who can do moderation or else whether I need to consider completely removing the junk FOREVER! :o

I’d appreciate your honesty as always!

Thanks,

J

I didn't cheat really until about 3-4 months after surgery. I had my surgery in September and then enjoyed chocolate and sweets all through Christmas. I went back to not eating chocolate or sweets January, and then I didn't really eat much junk again until the same time the next year. I have a deal with myself that I can have as much chocolate as I want around Christmas, because if I eat it the rest of the year it is the one thing I cannot do in moderation and I will eat it everyday. This Christmas was the third Christmas following sleeve surgery, I had been at goal for 8 months, and I had no great urge to eat junk. On Christmas Eve I had a few pieces of chocolate, a bite of brownie, and other things I don't eat the rest of the year, felt kinda sick, and have had no urge to eat it since.

So, while sometimes I will get a muffin at Starbucks that I know is bad for me, or I used to get a cakepop or a cookie, I actually "cheat" less now that I'm at goal because it isn't cheating anymore. If I want cake, I can have it...I just seem to never really want it. The worst food I eat on a regular basis is goldfish crackers. Since my New Years Eve chocolate adventure, I haven't had any sweets, I haven't had anything really bad for me, and except every once in awhile debating a muffin or a bagel, which I sometimes have a few bites of, I don't really eat junk food. Perhaps because now that it isn't a matter of cheating, the desire to have it is no longer there.

So, while sometimes I will get a muffin at Starbucks that I know is bad for me, or I used to get a cakepop or a cookie, I actually "cheat" less now that I'm at goal because it isn't cheating anymore. If I want cake, I can have it...I just seem to never really want it.

Wow, thanks for the great reply! what an enviable position to be in, I love your attitude!

I really hope I can get there one day :)

I told myself no "cheating" at all until I was at goal weight. I am not going to sabotage what I've put myself through.

I think your cravings will lessen as time passes.

Well the great thing about a lifestyle change is there is no cheating.

I cook a lot, so I have healthy low carb replacements for almost everything. When I go out I make good choices. When I do get things that i want as a treat, I find I eat one bite. I caved on Fat Tuesday and ordered beignets. It was a waste of money I had a single bite, not even a good bite, and I lost interest. That is what I find with most things. A taste is enough and I don't want more. I dont eat sugar when I do have things with real sugar my taste buds freak out and I don't really find it a good taste. That is kind of weird but I gave up sugar 3 years before surgery, so this isn't a new change.

Mainly I don't eat things because it is a waste of money and I can save that money and spend it on clothes.

I don't know if this qualifies as "cheating", but it was the first time I ate something that wasn't on my "approved" list.

Post op---liquid stage--last week--I just couldn't tolerate anything sweet anymore. Sweet drinks were making me gag. SSSooooo, I put a cucumber, a Tomato, some basil , wee bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar into my blender and had a "salad smoothie". I called my Nut., and asked if I had just condemned myself to "fat people hell". She just laughed and said it was OK. I could have my "salad" a couple of times a week as a palate cleanser. It was just what I needed to get through and break the sweetness stage.

Other than that, I really don't crave anything. When we have a family birthday, I will have a forkful of birthday cake, and then I'm done.

I understand that all food is just food, composed of Protein, carbs, fat, Vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, etc., and that some food is more nutritious than others.

In other words, it's all relative.

So during the weight losing phases I made the best choices I could most of the time, given the choices available to me at the time.

My first fast food choice was on an interstate road trip where I had no other options handy and ate 3 chicken McNuggets at a McDonalds.

Mostly, however, I ate lean animal Protein, Beans, cheese, skim milk -- and gradually (as restriction permitted) colored, complex veggies, a little fruit and eventually whole grains.

At six months out I started drinking wine again -- 4 ounce pours. Rarely (and I mean rarely) I had a bite or two of hubby's or a group dessert or (on road trips) half of a McDs Breakfast burrito or small cheeseburger or slice of thin crust meat pizza.

I reached my weight goal at 8.5 months post-op. Since then I've lost another 15 pounds and am maintaining.

I've cooked more in the last year and a half than I did the prior 10 years, which has led me to eat more nutritious food than if I were eating takeout or fast food on a daily basis. I have always measured most of my foods and planned my daily menus and track my food using My Fitness Pal. That data continues to be amazingly helpful in helping me learn what's working and not working well for me. I'm certainly still learning.

Short version: Choose the most nutritious food you can -- especially while you're in the weight-losing phases. That's when you have a chance to learn how to eat well the rest of your life. :) You don't have to be perfect. You just have to make good choices most of the time.