Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats your full signal?

So obviously I am less than a week out from surgery. I am on Clear liquids still and doing well thus far, Im hitting over 30oz of liquid a day.

My question is I was sitting sipping and watching tv and think I was a little overzealous with sipping my tea and felt a bit tight and like I was going to belch. I think I found my full signal.

Maybe....

So whats your signal that your little vanilla bean of a stomach is full?

(when I watched my post op Upper GI my stomach reminded me of a vanilla bean, thus its new name )

I'm happy for you that you have found your full signal. I am still waiting to find mine and hope it happens soon :(

I get the hiccups ;) when i had my original surgery in 2002 I told myself the Dr installed an alarm! Here i am 5 days post op revision and my alarm still kicks in when I'm full ;).

Hiccups or sneezing six times (for real).

Beware the old word "full". It is now just "satisfied", lol... or "no longer hungry". Mine is a single burp. I weighed my food since day Mushy, and sometimes before 2 oz I would do a little burp. I do it 50-75% of the time when I am done now. For me, I think the food replaces the air in my stomach and makes the burp.

I get a hiccup. Sometimes I'll get a little hiccup then a little burp. If I eat beyond this my nose starts to run. Weird, I know.

I try my dead level best to never reach that point.

I hate the feelings that come with being full. It's a miserable 20 minutes or so afterwards.

Surgeon beat it into my head on last visit that my current meals should be 1/2 cup in size.

I've done some "measuring cup tests" and can pretty much size up what 1/2 cup of food looks like.

I don't exceed this and I don't have to worry.

Recently went out to eat with wife and ordered some wings. Nailed the portion size....but failed on the speed I ate it. Misery ensued.

Learning my way through this sleeve bidness.......

I hate the feelings that come with being full. It's a miserable 20 minutes or so afterwards.

Surgeon beat it into my head on last visit that my current meals should be 1/2 cup in size.

I've done some "measuring cup tests" and can pretty much size up what 1/2 cup of food looks like.

Recently went out to eat with wife and ordered some wings. Nailed the portion size....but failed on the speed I ate it. Misery ensued.

I find it also depends on what I eat. Dry chicken breast will make me feel absolutely miserable no matter how much I eat. I made the mistake of eating some last Friday and was miserable for 20 minutes with hiccups, burps AND running nose. I didn't even overeat. My sleeve just hates dry chicken.

Thanks all! Very helpful!!!

I think I found my stopping point without trying to. Im still on liquids and will see my surgeon next week for my post op follow up.

I am sure we will discuss amounts etc at that appointment. Personally, I want to be on liquids for a few weeks to months before I progress to soft foods. We shall see what my surgeon and nutritionist think through!

I'm happy for you that you have found your full signal. I am still waiting to find mine and hope it happens soon :(

do you get any type of signal at all? Like feeling "tight" right after you swallow? No belching or hiccups?

every time I swallow I feel tight almost like someone with a band who feels tight and then relief as the liquid passes to rest of stomach.

I should say I have a sleeve not a band.

Nurse Lenora,

I had the sleeve 2 weeks ago tomorrow and no signal thus far, except perhaps the feeling that something is in my stomach. And I am far hungrier than I expected to be! Hope they didn't miss removing that ghrelin hormone we've all heard so much about LOL

I am only 20 days post op and able to have just an egg plus the Protein shakes, Soups, Jello and popsicles. For lunch the last 6 days I eat the egg and some days a Jello. I get this weird feeling under the left side of my breast and radiating down the left towards where I think my tummy is. It stays with me for hours and is a mild version of the same kind of pain I had the first 2 days in the hospital. I don't get this pain when I drink the Soups or shakes or eat the popsicles or jello by themselves. I have been assuming it is my feeling for being full. Could it be something? Is it really possible to be full on just an egg and a jello cup?

There are several types of signals. Hiccups and sneezing are common. Also nose starting to run. Another signal is when the food changes taste. When you start to eat, food is enjoyable but you hit a point when suddenly the food begins to taste bad. One more bite and you are into full blown dumping.

Dumping for the first time is not all that bad. It is a good teacher. You do it once; your body very quickly educates you on the dumping triggers. But if you experiment with dumping, do it at home rather when you out-and-about in public. Otherwise it can be a major embarrassment.

Also many people do not experience the full feeling until they reach the solid stage.

I discovered my signal in my third week. One single hiccup. I call it my Off Button. If I hiccup twice, I'm in trouble because I ate too much and Runt is going to punish me. One hiccup and I push the plate away.

I find it also depends on what I eat. Dry chicken breast will make me feel absolutely miserable no matter how much I eat. I made the mistake of eating some last Friday and was miserable for 20 minutes with hiccups, burps AND running nose. I didn't even overeat. My sleeve just hates dry chicken.< /p>

I hear ya.

I use an instant read thermometer to ensure my chicken breasts come off the grill at 160 degrees internal. Still really juicy and moist....yet safe to eat.

I've had chicken breast in restaurants that was overcooked and dry. Very difficult to get down, I completely agree.

It's a miserable feeling, no ?

Sure glad it is in place, too. Keeps me honest and the scale moving downward and onward.