Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unsupportive family?

I'm really not sure how I should feel about this, first week of my liquid diet my husband was amazing! Didn't flaunt or eat certain things in front of me as a form of support. Well, this week blows! He went grocery shopping and got tons of bags of candy, tummies, chocolate, and chips! Tons! Like 6 bags and even a bag of Pork rinds. He said the boys and him are kinda like bachelors while I'm getting sleeved. tonight they are cooking tater tots and crispy fried chicken. I decided to stay in the other room until they are done so I don't drool! I haven't cheated at all, but if I see another boring shake or can of freakin cream Soup I'm going to scream!

Anyone else share my pain?

That's just rude! They can jolly well go out for their foodyoucan'teat. Grr!

I mentioned it to him, as I am struggling to avoid these foods (they are all my favs!) and I told him it's just hard, I'm a few days from surgery, tired, scared, worried, etc.

His answer:"just think about the good stuff like shopping for new undies at Victoria's Secret"

Made the fact that I'm worried and nervous seem like it's not important because after the surgery I'll be able to wear pretty undies.

Screw undies! I'm hungry and as much as I'm trying not to be a whiner, it's not fair!

Just grit your teeth. In the big scheme of things, this phase doesn't last long.

There are more phases to come. ;)

I'm really not sure how I should feel about this, first week of my liquid diet my husband was amazing! Didn't flaunt or eat certain things in front of me as a form of support. Well, this week blows! He went grocery shopping and got tons of bags of candy, tummies, chocolate, and chips! Tons! Like 6 bags and even a bag of Pork rinds. He said the boys and him are kinda like bachelors while I'm getting sleeved. tonight they are cooking tater tots and crispy fried chicken. I decided to stay in the other room until they are done so I don't drool! I haven't cheated at all, but if I see another boring shake or can of freakin cream Soup I'm going to scream!

I finally had to wrap my head around this: WLS is a gift I ​give TO ME---FROM ME--LOVE ME!

I had to love myself enough to make this journey alone if the need be. I put the proverbial "stick up my butt", grit my teeth, gathered my stubbornness and determination and move forward--always forward.

Enjoy your family, smile at their "antics! --always keep in mind your journey and the wonderful life you will have when you will be able to interact with your children better, and even that "sometimes thoughtless" husband of yours.

"nothing tastes as good as thin feels"

Keep in touch

This would drive me crazy! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. If you are able to leave the house while they are living it up, I would. Perhaps you can go for a walk, go shopping, or go do something fun just for you. It's not cool of your husband not to be supportive during what is arguably one of the most difficult parts of the process. (It's one thing when you've got the surgery, but it's SO hard to resist temptation when you are hungry as hell and still battling major cravings before the surgery.)

Sending you positive vibes!!

It's gut-check time.

You are just getting your dose early on.

You will forever be surrounded by temptation and various paths to failure. You are just getting a plethora of them brought to the forefront right now.

Too bad he has to be your s.o. for doing so. Doom on him. Remind him of it next time he wants to get busy. Hit 'em where it hurts. :D

It's gut-check time.

You are just getting your dose early on.

You will forever be surrounded by temptation and various paths to failure. You are just getting a plethora of them brought to the forefront right now.

Too bad he has to be your s.o. for doing so. Doom on him. Remind him of it next time he wants to get busy. Hit 'em where it hurts. :D

Thanks Dub! You gave me a giggle this morning. I waited until the kids were sleeping and talked to him about it. I told him right now I'm like a crack head trying to kick it, and he filled the house with crack. He feels like scum for it now, and sadly he kinda should. It's like he's drinking a huge beer in front of an alcoholic when he cooks and eats what he does.

I know it's going to always be around, food in huge quantities is kinda like the American way. I'm hoping it will be a little easier when I'm A off the liquid diet and B sleeved.

My surgery is on Tuesday. Feb 2nd his nookie days are numbered! Ha ha ha ha

Props to your husband for listening and understanding where you're coming from!

hanks, he is a really great support to me, which I think is why this hurt so much. he feels really bad today. I don't think he realized that I have a food addiction I'm working on.

Most of us can't force our families to follow our new diet pre-op or post-op. All my former favorites are just a walk to my kitchen. snack cakes, Cookies, candy, you name it. It is not realistic to ask that of them and our being morbidly obese is not their fault. I have two small kids and a husband that doesn't cook much. Every day both pre op and post op was temptation. I am talking pizza, hamburgers, spaghetti, hotdogs and take out from my favorite restaurants. I was sleeved before Christmas. I baked cookies with my kids i couldn't touch. Made Christmas dinner, I do mean delicious favorites that I couldn't touch. Don't expect people to conform to you. You have to adapt physically and mentally. I will say dealing with temptation is so much easier after surgery. I bought a pizza for my family last night that I didn't eat. I am free to eat or try anything as of yesterday but that pizza no longer appeals to me. This surgery is hard work regardless of some saying it is an easy way out. But it is so worth it!

After surgery, it will be easier for you to resist. Just try to hang on for a little longer.

Between home and work my 2 week pre-op diet was hellish.

At work when my coworkers would be bringing in food to eat for lunch, I went out and took a walk and got outside. At home when my wife was making dinner I also went out for a walk. It really helped me to just get out and do something active so I didn't make myself crazy.

I know its winter but hopefully its nice enough to get outside and do something else. It really helps with the energy and head hunger too!

I know exactly what you mean. I have had my whole support system doing everything but supporting this life changing decision of mine. My surgery date is set for February 8th, and I feel like I just want to go to the hospital by myself to do this. I have been in this process since July. In that time I have not once felt like my family understands or even sympathizes. Perhaps I am just taking it all to heart, and maybe they are all more nervous and worried for me than I know, but it really hurts to feel like you are facing this all alone.