Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from Pittsburgh?

@cladd-You live in my old stomping ground. I lived in Peters Township. There are certainly a ton of hoops to jump through. I understand why people go down to Mexico.

Peters is exactly where I'm at. I moved here 2 years ago from Robinson Township. Nice out here but I'm a City girl. Lol.

And I agree about all the hoops to jump! Sheesh! I'm still jumpin. I still need a stress test and half of what I need is coming from my doctor and not even from the insurance co! He also wants a 2 week liquid diet where I'm reading others are even a day before. Not quite sure I get all that

Edited by claddagh66

Clad...you are right, tons of hoops to jump through! It will be worth it when it's all said and done! Who is doing your surgery??

I'm super excited Newbe312! Just as I'm sure you are!!! I'm going to a Dr Eid who is with Allegheny Health and will have the surgery at West Penn Hospital. I love his staff. They have been fantastic. I can't complain at all about anything so far. They have all been so helpful and so full of information and phone calls. Just really a good experience so far. Only met the doctor on my first visit and I really liked him. How about you? Who are you seeing? Are you getting ready? How much time are you taking off work?

Clad...I too am super excited,but also a little nervous. Dr. Aksehirli is doing my surgery. I love everyone in his office too! They are very helpful! I met him at the informational meeting prior to my first appointment. I have my pre-surgery appointment on Feb. 5. My surgery is the 15th and I will be at Jefferson. In addition to my sleeve, I am also having a hiatal hernia repair. I am planning on taking off 2 weeks, barring any complications. If I can go back sooner, I will. I am playing by ear. ????. I have been getting ready, buying basic necessities (new lounge pants for hanging around the house), Protein Shakes, Biotin, and a skein of yarn to crochet a new scarf. I will get bariatric Vitamins when I see the doctor next month. My Dr's assistant recommended taking Biotin a month prior to surgery to help with Hair loss. I saw that you need to do your stress test. Do you have a cardiologist? I love mine! Dr. McDougall with South Hills Cardiology. He is awesome and is very supportive! I can't believe I am almost there! When I started the process in August, I thought I would never get there...but it goes fast! If you need anything, let me know! Good luck! ????

Hi Newbe!

You sound like your right on track and so excited! Your so close to me it sounds like location wise! I had my sleep study done at the Jefferson outpatient. I go to the peters allegheny health pavilion for all my things I need to do. They've been wonderful there. No complaints at all.

I never had to do any meetings like you just said. Unless you mean your normal visits. I haven't heard of your doctor. Your so close now!!! Do you have to do the liquid diet prior? I hear mine requires 7-10 days!???? That's a long time and then so long afterwards too. Some doctors do it and some don't. Not sure why. And some just ask the day before. Crazy.

Looks like you started your journey 3 months prior to me. I started in November. I go back next Thursday for my 4th visit. And yes. I do still need a stress test. Another requirement. Thank you for the referral of your cardiologist! I will definitely look him up! Word of mouth is the best!

Hi Clad!

When I answered your post, I never in a million years expected that you were from McMurray! What a small world it is! I do most of my stuff at Jefferson/AGH Health Pavillon behind Walmart in Bethel. My PCP can get info directly from them. My insurance required me to attend an informational seminar as part of the process. Dr. basically talked about different procedures and insurance requirements. Boring but necessary! I went to the seminar the end of July but had to wait to see my PCP until mid-August because she was in France. I just finished my last supervised diet visit in January. Both of my doctors are in the same building so I ran the papers to Dr. Aksehirli's office right after my appointment! ???? I am not sure about the liquid diet. Everything I have read said it is to shrink your liver to make it easier to access your stomach. I will find out Feb. 5th. When I scheduled surgery for the 15th, the PA was like, are you sure you want that date because you will be on Clear liquids for Valentines Day. (According to my husband, Valentine's Day is for amateurs anyway! We don't need a special day to know we love each other.) LOL! The way she said that, I was thinking it is just day before. Haha...I could've been sadly mistaken! I will find out soon and let you know! So, your surgery will be around May? How long were you thinking you would take off work?

It definitely is a small world. I also private messaged you too! Hopefully it went through to you.

Yes that is the reason for the liquid diet. That I know. Just was checking to see if you would have to do it also. Mine says 7-10 days prior :P Not looking forward to that at all! But I'll do what I have to. Been picking up things I will need like 2oz cups to measure stuff and Protein Shakes and waters and different bars to taste ahead of time. Also some different foods I've seen people post on here. I may go purchase one of those bullet machines to process my foods and blend them up. May be a waste. But also could be much easier. I'm just trying to get somethings now and also taste some things so I know what I like and definitely don't like. I got a fruit flavored Protein Powder at target the other day and omg!!! It was the grossest tasted stuff ever!! No way will I ever use that stuff!!!

My next apt is the same day you go back also. Kinda neat. Ya I'm thinking I'll have my surgery April/May. I'll be done with my last visit in April. I actually don't need 6 visits from my insurance. It's the doctor doing this timing

I am so glad you told me about fruit flavored Protein drink...I was going to buy some this weekend. My doctor gave us a bunch of samples and I was going to save it to use after surgery...now, maybe not! My doctor doesn't make you wait if you are self pay or insurance doesn't require it. That would frustrate me that I had to wait! But, then again, I didn't want C-pap at first and Doctor refused to operate if I didn't use it, so...we do what we have to. Made me realize he is not in for the $...he really cares about me!

Do you have apnea? I did my sleep study but haven't had my results told to me yet

Ya this waiting game is a little annoying but I'm not rushing it...a few more weeks I get to eat Pasta lol

Maybe some of the others are a little better. Idk. The one I had was really really bad. My husband said it smelled like whatctheycusedcto feed the cows on his farm when he was younger

Which fruit flavored Protein drink did you buy? The most popular one out there that I know of is the Syntrax nectar. There is a company in GA that sells all kids of Protein shakes in samples sizes. The company is bariatricpantry. Right before surgery I purchased the sample pack of Syntrax Nectar, Syntrax Matrix, Coffe and something else that I don't recall. I personally did not like the nectar, but it is pretty popular. The Syntrax Matrix was the best out of all the ones I tasted. They have a Peanut Butter Cookie one that I drink every morning. I mix it with Fairlife milk and get like 36 grams of Protein in one shake. The milk and the shake total 229 calories. If I am in a hurry I drink a Premier Protein Shake from costco (cheapest place I have found to buy them). The Premier Protein has 30 grams of protein and 160 calories. Considering I struggle to hit my calories goal each day I'm not to worried about the calorie difference.

As far as the blender you may not need that unless you will be making smoothies at some point. All of the Protein Shakes can be made in a shaker cup (not sure if these have a formal name). I was actually told not to use a blender by my NUT fir at least a month, as it puts air into the shake, which can give you gas. Not sure how true that is. For what it's worth, I am at 5 weeks and have yet to use a blender.

After a few days (at least in my situation) I was able to go out to the store and walk around. I did tire pretty quickly, but I was so tired of laying in bed. Plus you really need to be up and walking anyway. Since you live in Pittsburgh it will be like the frozen tundra, so heading out to a few stores to walk around might be the ticket.

Make sure you talk to you NUT and surgeon before stocking up to much on any supplies. Each practice has their own plans on what they want you drinking afterwards. I have seen some people on Clear Liquids the first week while others were drinking protein shakes and eating cream Soups.

One other thing. I am pretty sure that every patient goes on an all clear liquid diet the 24 hours prior to surgery. I think this is pretty much to "clear" you out before the cut up your stomach. After not eating any real food ten days before I was starving the day before and the day of surgery. The nice thing is when they roll you out of surgery the last thing you want is food... :blink:

Hi RonJon~

Thanks so so much for all the great information you passed along! This was all so great to hear.

For the life of me I can't remember the name of it but when I go out to my car I will get my receipt and hope it's on there. It was so horrible. Thick and chalky and smelled like newborn poo! It was horrible. I have heard of the Syntrax Nectars also. I will see if I can get some samples. I don't want to spend 27.00 on things I know are not good at all. I know I'll be throwing some things away but not that much. I will definitely give them a try! Thanks!!

I did not hear that information about the blender but it certainly makes a lot of sense. I mean it does fluff it all up so I can see that. Nothing were drinking right away a couple hand skaking can't fix right! I have a little cup but I'm thinking I'll need a tall one also

Hell is love to get outside and just sit on my deck now! This weather is making me cranky! Winter blues. It's only 13 degrees right now and so grey out. I can't stand it. I do see a little brightness in a spot of the sky. Looks like the sun may be trying to break thru but we all know this lovely Pgh weather...we don't get much sunshine here????☃.

I will defined talk to the office before buying more things. I don't want a bunch of stuff here I can't end u p using for sure. I go back on the 5th for my 4th visit so I will definitely talk to them to see what is wanted.

I know I myself go thru days where I'm not in the mood at all for anything to eat. Weird huh. I didn't have much yesterday. I had a cup of coffee a banana a piece of a cookie and a bottle of Water. Weird I know. My husband came home and asked how I liked the dinner he made (my most favorite, Pasta, and I told him I didn't have any. He was shocked. I just think putting someone on liquids only for 2 weeks is a bit much then they're on it for another 2 months. It's just a lot for your body. I can see fatigue and weakness and a lot of naps and headaches. Doesn't sound heathy to me at all. Idk that's just me. I'm not a big eater at all. It's the choices of what I eat that's the problem. Carbs!!!

I love the pastas and breads and cheeses. All that good stuff. I love to go out to lunch too. Guess that's all coming to an end. I'm scared. I'm really saying to myself is this al l what I really should be doing. I think others do this as well but I'm not hugely overweight. I just got about 60 pounds all on my lower half to get off me. If only I was taller and in proportion! Damn genetics!

There are a bunch of them that taste like Poo if you ask me... The nectar sample pack was pretty good to try. I didn't like most of them, but the sampler was nice, so you could rule out some. The Fuzzy Navel one I would say is the best. IMO Make sure you get a mixer bottle of some kind and not a cup. The mixer has a ball (or some other contraption) that helps break up the power when you shake it. If you do it in a cup it ends up lumpy.

While you are stocking up make sure you ask them about what supplements to buy. You will need a multi-Vitamin, Calcium and B12.< /p>

2.5 months is a long time to be on liquids. Especially since you apparently do not have a ton of weight to lose. I did a ten day low calorie/fat diet (lost 17 pounds on that) and then went liquid the day before. The first week I was on liquid, which included cream Soups. The second week I started the puree stage and ate what had to be the best scrambled egg I have ever had in my life. The only thing better was the next day when I ate refried Beans with a dab of sour cream and cheese... Oh, how the little things please you post op...

im not from pittsburgh but i do travel there every november for the gaspcon. is anyone on here apart of that me and my hubby go every year and i would love to hang out this year with fellow wls patients. and for those who have no idea what gasp is it the game association of southern pennsylvania its a monthly group that meets to play board card and role play games. the convention is held every year in november and its tons of fun with an auction that you can sell your geeky stuff that you no longer need. like i said i go every year and would love to meet some people

Your so funny. Yep I can only imagine! Oh the simplest of things...Never taste so good

I do have a shaker ball cup. It's meant for the shakes cause I drink instant Breakfast often since I'm not a Breakfast eater. If I get up at like 5am I usually have s cup or 3 of coffee, a yogurt or oatmeal around 1030ish and don't actually eat lunch till around 230ish. I'm just not quick to start eating. Actually upsets my stomach if I do. May have something to do with the hiatal hernia I'm not sure but I've never been a breakfast or should I say morning eater. I'm not a morning person period! Lol

Right now I'm on synthroid for my high scores in my thyroid levels. We're supposed to be .04-.40 and I'm at 25.7! I'm way off. So I'm taking that and Vitamin D since I'm way low on that too, methacarbamol (muscle relaxer) tylenol#3 and Motrin coated with malox all for my neck and back. I have a bunch of herniated discs in my lower back and neck. I also have a broken bone in my foot right now I'm getting doctored for and a severed tendon there too. My last test is the stress test and they will have to do it in a bed since I can't wak/run the treadmill like they need. They'll just give me an injection to induce my heart level. Last thing I gotta do

So back to the Vitamins. I take D, Calcium, multi and I think that's it. I will ask what they require. Did you get any of the Biotin for hair (yes I know your a guy lol) and also did you get the Miralax and gas ex tongue melts?