Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych evaluation questionnaire scares me!

Hi everyone. I am going to see my surgeon for the initial visit on 2/1. As part of the prep paperwork for that visit I was given a "bariatric psych evaluation" question list to fill out and bring with me.

It has lots of things that scare me about answering! First thing is it asks about past diets, how long, how much weight lost and WHY I stopped doing it. Has anyone had this? How did you answer? My honest answers are pretty complicated and there is no room to explain myself.

Also, it asks a lot of questions about alcohol and drug use. I am a recovering alcoholic and addict but have been clean and sober for six years. Any advice? Answer honestly?

Then there's the questions about depression, anxiety, etc. I think I'm pretty normal here and I certainly do have bouts of depression, particularly in the winter and then there's the usual depression associated with being obese, depression associated with chronic pain (knees and ankles) and then there's the fairly typical isolation and depression about not being able to do certain things with my friends and family. How do I explain these things, particularly when there is SO LITTLE space to respond! Any advice?

I feel like the truth is that I have become obese and failed at multiple dieting attempts largely because I've been addicted to food! However, when I got sober I addressed many of the issues that led me to self medicate. AA has got me on a path towards recovery and self healing. I quit drinking, drugging and smoking. About two years ago I felt ready and able to address my food addiction. I started excersizing and going to OA. I lost 80 pounds "the old fashioned way". Then came severe knee pain and a subsequent knee replacement. I stopped riding my bike, stopped my long walks, swimming etc. I ballooned back up to 365. That was thirteen months ago and my knee won't heal, largely because of the weight.

Thoughts? Help?! Sorry for the novel...

Hi everyone. I am going to see my surgeon for the initial visit on 2/1. As part of the prep paperwork for that visit I was given a "bariatric psych evaluation" question list to fill out and bring with me.

It has lots of things that scare me about answering! First thing is it asks about past diets, how long, how much weight lost and WHY I stopped doing it. Has anyone had this? How did you answer? My honest answers are pretty complicated and there is no room to explain myself.

Also, it asks a lot of questions about alcohol and drug use. I am a recovering alcoholic and addict but have been clean and sober for six years. Any advice? Answer honestly?

Then there's the questions about depression, anxiety, etc. I think I'm pretty normal here and I certainly do have bouts of depression, particularly in the winter and then there's the usual depression associated with being obese, depression associated with chronic pain (knees and ankles) and then there's the fairly typical isolation and depression about not being able to do certain things with my friends and family. How do I explain these things, particularly when there is SO LITTLE space to respond! Any advice?

I feel like the truth is that I have become obese and failed at multiple dieting attempts largely because I've been addicted to food! However, when I got sober I addressed many of the issues that led me to self medicate. AA has got me on a path towards recovery and self healing. I quit drinking, drugging and smoking. About two years ago I felt ready and able to address my food addiction. I started excersizing and going to OA. I lost 80 pounds "the old fashioned way". Then came severe knee pain and a subsequent knee replacement. I stopped riding my bike, stopped my long walks, swimming etc. I ballooned back up to 365. That was thirteen months ago and my knee won't heal, largely because of the weight.

Thoughts? Help?! Sorry for the novel...

Congratulations on taking a big step in the right direction for your health.

I had to fill out a lot of forms pre-op so it sounds like what you have is pretty standard.

My recommendation is that you be as honest and thorough as possible. If you don't have enough room to answer succinctly then I don't think it would hurt to continue your answer and attach it on another sheet of paper.

Ultimately, this is for your benefit so you can have the safest surgery and recovery. You will also most likely have a psych evaluation appointment so you can also elaborate with specifics in person.

Best of luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Yup, all those questions sound familiar. ;)

Tell the truth. You'll likely also have one or two meetings with a psychologist. Explain your background. If you think you need ongoing help, please ask for it.

I've been seeing a shrink since before surgery. And I'm not even crazy. I truly wanted to stack the deck in my favor regarding this journey.

Best to you.

We are physicians, not cops. Just always be honest with your physicians. Period. To do otherwise would only hurt you and your life (and body).

What you say you've experienced is not going to be new/alarming to anyone on your health care team. Just be honest. They can handle it and you will know you did the right thing for YOU by telling it.

"There is nothing new under the sun."

They don't want you to answer it in writing they will read it and ask you about that will be your opportunity to reply the paperwork is mostly for insurance to cover their butts that they didn't operate on someone who doesn't understand or hasn't tried hence all the previous diet questions etc

Edited by shellyd88

Thanks everyone. Your responses are greatly appreciated. I should probably say that I'm afraid of these questions because I'm afraid of being denied! I have heard of folks "failing" their psych evaluations for various reasons including the possibility of crossover addictions and alcoholism. I feel like this is my last best chance to get this done. My work insurance won't cover so I bought an exchange plan and want to get this all approved as quickly as possible.