Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Edited by bellabloom

My dad and I were just talking about this because I have started drinking quite a lot recently and I said every single person after weight-loss surgery Ends up getting another addiction. Drinking, sex, shopping, pills, cross fit. A glass of wine I could not drink. Too sweet but a whole bottle of vodka.... Not an issue.... Well ok an issue lol

My experiences are completely opposite. Before surgery, on drink would have got me buzzed with red cheeks. After surgery I can drink like a horse and practically nothing. Not even red cheeks. This weekend I went out and had 8-10 drinks and was not drunk. My friend who went with me and who had the same number of drinks but does not have the sleeve was wasted and was falling and puking everywhere.

My dad and I were just talking about this because I have started drinking quite a lot recently and I said every single person after weight-loss surgery Ends up getting another addiction. Drinking, sex, shopping, pills, cross fit. A glass of wine I could not drink. Too sweet but a whole bottle of vodka.... Not an issue.... Well ok an issue lol

I would not agree to the "every single person...ends up getting another addiction". Just because "never" and "always" are words to be wary of.

@@Proud2BMe we are soul mates lol

I would not agree to the "every single person...ends up getting another addiction". Just because "never" and "always" are words to be wary of.

It doesn't have to be a bad addiction people get addicted to bicycling and skydiving and eating healthy and other aspects of life being addicted to something is not always a bad thing... Although I like really hate CrossFit Fanatics lol

The surgery definitely changes the way we're affected by alcohol. I am a total light-weight now. I get buzzed VERY quickly on very little alcohol, but then I sober up super fast too. It's weird for sure. Luckily I don't drink much. Just VERY rarely at social events, so I just make sure to go super easy on the alcohol now. There was one night in my 20's when I managed to do 28 shots in one night! Now if I did two shots, I'd probably be passed out or throwing up...

@@Kathy Coop, as a clinician, the term "addiction" is very specific and means (among other things) that the addict's functioning in life is impaired by their dependence. Addiction is a harmful dependence. It gets in the way of work, relationships, and life in general.

While it's true that some people take healthy eating and exercise to extremes (e.g., that gets in the way of living other areas of their life), swapping an unhealthy relationship with food for healthier habits is not addiction. That's the basis for my comment.

My experiences are completely opposite. Before surgery, on drink would have got me buzzed with red cheeks. After surgery I can drink like a horse and practically nothing. Not even red cheeks. This weekend I went out and had 8-10 drinks and was not drunk. My friend who went with me and who had the same number of drinks but does not have the sleeve was wasted and was falling and puking everywhere.

Jeez! Even though your brain didn't notice 8-10 drinks, your liver didn't fail to notice.

Just be aware, as it has been mentioned several times, due to the decrease in area of the stomach the absorption rates in the gut from alcohol are about 7 times faster for sleevers. as such alcohol hits you about 7 times harder. No disrespect to the gentleman above, but i find it hard to beleive, since 8 to 10 drinks would make an absolute lush, drunk. And id have to say why on earth would you have 8 to 10 drinks? are you trying to fail? that's like 5 thousand calories and all from sugars, give yourself a chance. Your not even at goal. why would you do that?

To give some perspective one of my best friends is a bartender and as such, he has repeatedly told me about customers that have ben brought to his attention to not serve a lot to, and to serve very slowly to as they are sleeves and the establishments management makes sure those patrons don't have problems, since they once had a sleeve drink 3 shots in like 15 minutes and had to be taken to the ER.

So please be very careful.

Just be aware, as it has been mentioned several times, due to the decrease in area of the stomach the absorption rates in the gut from alcohol are about 7 times faster for sleevers. as such alcohol hits you about 7 times harder. No disrespect to the gentleman above, but i find it hard to beleive, since 8 to 10 drinks would make an absolute lush, drunk. And id have to say why on earth would you have 8 to 10 drinks? are you trying to fail? that's like 5 thousand calories and all from sugars, give yourself a chance. Your not even at goal. why would you do that?

To give some perspective one of my best friends is a bartender and as such, he has repeatedly told me about customers that have ben brought to his attention to not serve very slowly to as they are sleeves and the establishments management makes sure those patrons don't have problems, since they once has a sleeve drink 3 shots in like 15 minutes and had to be taken to the ER.

It was a mixture of drinks, mostly shots, a jager bomb, a red headed slut, and crown and diet coke. At most it was probably 800-1000 calories as they are about 90-100 calories a drink.

Look, it was my choice. I chose to have fun that night and I had a blast. However, it did not get me drunk but it did to my friends.

I did not gain anything. In fact, I lost 4 lbs this past weekend, bringing me down to the weight I was in High School and officially making me only overweight and not in the obese category any longer.

If you are going to bitch about me over something then chose the holidays. I gained 3 lbs over xmas but I turned around and lost that in about 4 days. It's okay to live a little!

I did not gain anything. In fact, I lost 4 lbs this past weekend, bringing me down to the weight I was in High School and officially making me only overweight and not in the obese category any longer.

If you are going to b***h about me over something then chose the holidays. I gained 3 lbs over xmas but I turned around and lost that in about 4 days. It's okay to live a little!

You DO realize it's not always going to be that way, right? You're in the honeymoon phase right now. Of course you can drink, eat whatever you want and not gain and if you do, take it back off immediately.

I'm not bitching, either. It's no skin off my nose what you do in your free time. I'm just wanting you to understand that this easy weight loss isn't always going to be the case, and the choices you make will definitely effect your weight down the road. The weight you gain likes to hold on the further down the road you are. Just go look in the veterans forums if you don't believe me.

I remember thinking I had this whole thing figured out, too. Good times.

Hey, if you can handle it power to you! There is nothing wrong with having fun.

I really enjoy drinking wine and champagne and I admit I love a good party! Everyone is different in this regard as to how they handle alcohol.

My point was just that at first I didn't notice a difference in how alcohol affected me. It took awhile and suddenly my body just can't handle it any more.

I think being aware of the possibility of cross addictions is really wise. Most of us over ate as a coping mechanism and when that is taken away something wants to fill that void. I'm super aware that this is a possibility for me having a pretty bad eating disorder and my history of coping with self destructive behaviors.

That's why I'm shutting down drinking right away rather than playing with fire. My body obviously can't handle it. It's enough already that I'm fighting to maintain my weight.

To give some perspective one of my best friends is a bartender and as such, he has repeatedly told me about customers that have ben brought to his attention to not serve very slowly to as they are sleeves and the establishments management makes sure those patrons don't have problems, since they once has a sleeve drink 3 shots in like 15 minutes and had to be taken to the ER.

It was a mixture of drinks, mostly shots, a jager bomb, a red headed ****, and crown and diet coke. At most it was probably 800-1000 calories as they are about 90-100 calories a drink.

Look, it was my choice. I chose to have fun that night and I had a blast. However, it did not get me drunk but it did to my friends.

If you are going to b***h about me over something then chose the holidays. I gained 3 lbs over xmas but I turned around and lost that in about 4 days. It's okay to live a little!

Alcohol makes me lose weight too. That's why this is double dangerous for you!! Have fun, enjoy... Just keep your head on a swivel!!

Christ, the immaturity I see on this site sometimes boggles the mind.

I guess it's time for me to take another break for a while.