Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and was wondering why I am loosing weight so slow. I am planning on seeing my doc today. I am 8 months out and have only lost about 35 lbs. I eat mostly soft foods because I get that severe salavating thing going on when i start eating. I have only had one fill so i'm kind of reluctant to get another because of the above problem. Any suggestions?? Sherry

Welcome Sherry! What are your new daily lifestyle changes since your band? Perhaps if we know more we can help you.

ok, so maybe I'm not going to be very helpful because I am relatively new in this as I have had my band for a year, but only started getting restriction 2 months ago. BUT, I will tell you my experience with this same thing. When I first got my restriction, I was eating liquids and DIP an cream of this and that Soup and anything solid I could ground up into mush to eat. Well, obviously, I was eating a lot of calories because you can ground up just about anything, and stuff like dip and ice cream is not what we are suppose to eat. I refuse to eat anything solid too, because of the uncomfortable lump in my throat when i'd eat even 1/2 cup of food. Well, after talking to my octor and researching on here, I have come to the conclusion that my "lump" was my full feeling. And that I was eating WAY too much mush, an when I started eating solids, I could only eat a little tiny bit (like I'm suppose to, duh), see, when I was mushing it all up, I could eat just as much as i did before band, maybe more. Mentally, it was a lot harer for me to eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food a couple times a day then a big bowl of mush-whatever-it-was. BUT, I have dramatically cut back on the amount of food I was eating and have started losing weight again. I still get frustrated with being starving, eating little, and my "lump" of fullness but I'm getting used to it, and eating no longer is ruling my life. It is hard, it was a strong addiction for me, and I have sadness because I feel like a part of me has died (i've had other addictions , so I know the feeling well) Anyways, my point is, when I started doing the band "right" by eating solid things like fish and eggs, and waiting an hour then drinking Water (so as not to rush food quickly thru the band) believe it or not, it started working! I do not severly salivate, I'm slimey when I eat more than 1/2 cup, so I am not trying to give you direction, I just wanted to share, because I wasn't having much success either, and then I did what I was suppose to and it worked. Good luck, I hope I have helped.

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I pretty much eat soft foods and have quit eating meats altogether for being 'afraid' that the 'lump' feeling and severe sliming would start. I'm seeing my doc for the first time in 4 months this afternoon and have tried eating more solid things the past week. I'm glad i found this forum as this has helped to touch base w/ people that have the same challenges that I face. Thanks again. Sherry

I just recently in the last two weeks started a vigourous exercise program 5 days weekly. I feel like this is the first time since being banded that I am motivated to do the right things. I havent really liked my band because eating is no longer pleasurable, but still being close to 80 lbs overweight I need to get on the wagon. I have started trying to eat more solid foods the last two weeks and keeping a food diary and also using fitday, but as i said earlier....I have just started this the last several weeks. Hopefully, with my doc appt this afternoon and touching base w/ others that face the same challenge it will produce a more positive outcome. Thanks again, Sherry

I too am having a hard time loosing any weight. I was banded march 07 and have only lost about 10 lbs, at was 20 at first then I gained then had one fill. but now I am back to only 10 lbs lost. arrggghhh I am very frustrated, I am obviously eating too much. I will try and pay attention to the "lump felling" in my throat, I have been thinking food was just stuck when I felt that, not that I was full. I am getting another fill in a couple weeks, hopefully that will help me too.

I have also been feeling that my band wasn't working, but after reading the message from the lady that talked about the lump that you feel in your throat, bells had whistles are going off. Sometimes when I feel the lump in my throat I take a small sip of liquid to make it move duhhhhh. Thank you so much for letting me know that that is just my fullness mechanism. It is wonderful to talk to people who have already gone through issues that I'm having.

Remember that liquids will go down easily so you will intake too many calories to get full.

If you're sliming or filling 'stopped up' TOO much you may be too tight. By being too tight it sounds like you're eating too soft of foods to try and avoid the problems but this causes you to not loose weight. Talk to your doctor and see about getting a little fill removed. You should certainly be able to eat SOLID food! That is very important for the band!

Can you guys believe i just found out about this site???? At first I lost 30 pounds on the liquids and now I gained all that back... I got so upset that I stopped seeing the Dr that banded me :heh:. I hurt just about everytime I eat :sick:wacko:...and some things like beef I can't handle at all...This band has been living hell for me :)... I was told that I was severly depressed before the band and at first they weren't going to do it then they sent me to a shrink and she gave them the ok to do it and she had only talked to me about 10 mins :)....Now I am Depressed....

I have that feeling of something being stuck and sometimes I trow up a lot that I eat...then there are times I can eat anything :hungry:... This whole thing flips me out....:)