Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op

I'm new to Bariatric Pal too and I'm in Georgia. I'd love to buddy up with you, and maybe we can get somebody to take us on as our mentor too! I'm scheduled for sleeve surgery on Jan 5, so I've started my 2-week pre-op diet. You're just a few weeks ahead of me in the process, so you can inspire me!

So how did your surgery go? Are you feeling OK? Do you have a good support system - family or friends who are going through this journey with you? And how are you liking that liquid diet?!

Hope you're doing well with it all. Looking forward to talking with you.

Oh my it was a challenge. I had a 2 day liquid diet before surgery that was horrible...lol...now it's super easy because I get full off a coupon dips of Water. I struggle with getting 64oz of liquid daily. I can't sleep like I use to and the gas is horrible but other than that it's wonderful.

I have a great support system. My family and friends have been here for me. I think you will do fine and you will love how the pounds just keep falling off.

I think I like "coupon sips" better than couple of sips(!)

So glad you have support. I think that's so important. And I know you must be glad to see the weight already coming off. This is only day 3 of my pre-op diet and I'm already down a few pounds. Just that little bit of encouragement has such a huge impact. It makes me feel hopeful about something I've often felt hopeless about. I'm glad you're already seeing results. I think that kind of encouragement makes a huge difference!

Sorry you're not sleeping well though. I'll hold a good thought that it will get better for you soon. And horrible gas - bless your heart. Who wants that?!

I expect we'll go through lots of changes with our bodies during this process. I try to be grateful to my old body sometimes instead of just being frustrated with it. I know I'll never look like I did in my 20s, even when the weight comes off. But this old body has done a lot for me for a long time (I'll turn 58 in January). It's kept running even when I haven't taken good care of it. And it gave me a child who I adore (and who was recently admitted to all three colleges she applied to - my husband and I are very proud!). It's survived without any major injury or chronic condition, I have all my limbs, my eyesight, my hearing...I have much to be grateful for.

Here's hoping this will be a day with less gas and more sleep for you! Oh, and one quick question - did you have to drink a bottle of Magnesium Citrate the night before surgery? Is it as awful as the stuff you drink before a colonoscopy? Ugh..

Hi Ladies,

I am scheduled to be sleeved in early January, too, so I'd like to follow along to offer support and share. So glad to hear it hasn't been painful - was wondering about that :D . We get the morphine pump at my surgery center so hopefully it'll be fairly pain free. I had 3 kids so I know to ask for those pain meds, lol! What about the nausea? I hear that can be wicked and set you back. Any problems with that? :huh:

I actually didn't have any nausea...only problem I'm encountering is the gas pain. Congratulations on the January surgery!!! You will not regret it.

Hi ladies! I'm would like to be part of your support. I'm scheduled to have my surgery ion Jan 14th. I live in NJ. I start my pre-op diet on Dec 30th. I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

Hi ladies I am at 4 months post surgery. I would love to answer or help you with any questions. I weighed in 2 weeks before at 298. I did the 2 week liquid diet lost 14 pounds pre op and had my BMI under 50 %. I was nervous that it would not work or something would go wrong etc. I was nervous for nothing. I can tell you all the journey ahead is one you will never regret. I am down 60 pounds and have not exercised. Not saying this is ideal but until I could get enough energy it was not in me to do. On top of the weight loss when my surgeon was operating he found a Gist Tumor on the outside of my stomach removed it had a biopsy done and it was Stage 1 cancer. By the grace of god if I had not ventured on my path of weight loss it would have never been found until it was at a large mass state. These Tumors you cannot detect because they are on the outside.

My journeys ups and downs are the clothes is falling off. I can cross my legs. I have so much energy. The downs are literally my eyes are bigger than my stomach so my urge to eat a full plate is real, but you can't 1/4 cup serving sizes is no joke. So I get the Premier Protein shakes sold at Sam's Club they have 30 grams of Protein so I drink 2 some days 1, but as long as I meet the 60 grams of protein I am good.

These holidays were killer on my sugar. So back tract again.

You will find it hard to get your Water in but the Protein Shakes and any liquid will contribute to at least 32 - 48 oz.

I would also suggest you take a daily Omezeprol acid pill. I get mine at SAMs also. My heartburn was really bad. So asked my doctor and he said it is ok.

Eating beef is a little tough for some reason it does not digest well. They say no steak for 6 months but even hamburger is rough.

Just blend or shred everything.

I am wishing you ladies a safe and successful journey.

Hi ladies,

I'm from PA. I'm looking into the sleeve. I was wondering who you had used. How was the procedure!? How you're journey is so far. So many question. Hoping to make friends to help me start my journey !

Hey lyfromsj....congratulations on your up coming surgery. Let me know what questions you have, I will try to answer the ones I know.

Thanks Annette. It helps me to hear from people who have already gone through the surgery. Down 60 lbs in 4 months is inspiring! Congratulations on that. And what a blessing that your doctor found the tumor!

My surgery date is a week from today(!!) In fact, by this time next week I'll be in recovery. Hard to believe it's finally happening after planning for so long. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

LisaNicole23 - My surgeon is Kevin McGill with Buckhead Bariatrics in Atlanta. I like him a lot and have confidence in him as a surgeon.