Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appetite suppressants (prescribed) 2 years out...

So i read all the post, some positive some not... But, none the less... we are all here and for our on personal reasons we had some type of WLS. I would venture to say that we ALL used diet pills at one time or the other... So you won't hear me judging you on that. If your dr says this may be what you need and you take as prescribed... then do what your gut tells you.

The past few years have been hard. I got my band in 2009. Ups and downs.. of course. My lowest weight was 143, today 145... but i had gotten back to 160 for a while and was miserable. So I... Me... sat down and thought... what the hell was wrong with me... Was i going to be one of "those" people that have WLS and gain the weight back? Are was i going to take my life back again... so i did... I looked at the things i had done over the years that helped me get to the 143... I worked out, i watched my diet, i had a positive outlook. I became an inspiration to other that made me what to do better...... What led to my gain.... I stopped working out, started eating things i should not be eating... and i let my husband dictate too much in my life. He stopped paying for gym, criticizing me, telling me i was too thin... Etc. So this past August...i said.... NO MORE. i'm going to make me happy again.... and i did i put aside the bad foods again and started taking the stairs... walking more (he still won't pay for gym, but im rejoining anyway)... and just having a more positive outlook about me (so im not 130.. but, im not 230 either). I can't change others.. Just me.

@@McButterpants Observation: your profile says you started at 255 and are around 180ish now... ok that's 75ish pounds lost. That is amazing. I also saw that in you past post you were running and exercising, but the last yearish post has nothing.... Are you still exercising? Are you still watching your food and what KIND of food? How are you feeling about your self? What can you do today, one thing, to make a more positive change? Not saying that what i did was the end all be all... but, sometimes we all need to look at ourselves and take inventory... weed out the bad.. and take in the good.

Wishing you all the luck....

@@bayougirlmrsc,

Thanks for the post! You are correct on a couple of points - I allowed snacking, grazing, bad foods and sitting on my butt back into my life. They came in slowly, but they came back. Taking the appetite suppressants has helped - it helped me realize how much snacking and unintentional eating I was doing. I was making excuses for not exercising - again, an old habit.

So enough with the "I should have"s…Here's what I've been doing since my original post...

I am taking the suppressants and they have helped. I'm hopeful this is a short-term solution and will talk to the dock at the end of January when I go back for my follow up.

I'm back on the exercise wagon - I joined a new yoga studio and I'm having a great time. My old studio did the same hot yoga routine every practice. While it was good at the beginning, it was time for a change. My new studio offers 5 different classes - I've taken three "shape" classes that incorporate yoga and strength in a 102 degree room. It kicks my butt every class and I love it. I can now do the entire routine with a 1 pound weight in each arm - something I couldn't do 3 practices ago. I'm also doing a challenge with my best friend and we've promised to hold each other accountable - we're doing the Run The Year challenge - we will do 2016 miles (combined), so I have to do 1008 miles in 2016. I did almost 900 this year. I also have a goal of 130 yoga practices in 2016 and 210 days of 10K steps or more. This should keep me on track. (I'm very goal oriented, so having a long-term goal that I can break up, keeps me motivated.)

I also had a really long talk with my best friend - we've been friends out whole life. She could sense something was wrong with me and she helped me talk thru what was going on. She said she doesn't want me to go back to those dark days where I didn't leave the house. She showed me a picture I sent her of my old drivers license and my new one - it's like they aren't the same person. I cried and it really hit home how well I've done. It's awesome to have support and a little attitude adjustment.

So, I'm feeling much better than I was a couple of weeks ago. I can see a change in my body with starting back at yoga. I'm down about 4 pounds, but I'm trying to stay off the scale for the next week while my body adjusts to the new exercise routine.

Thanks again for all the support - you guys are amazing!

I would say that if your doc is the one who recommended it and would be monitoring it then it is a good idea.

My experience?

Phentermine- ehhh, I found that in small doses it had no effect on me. In larger doses my appetite decreased but I felt like my heart was racing. I was only on it for about a month. I lost 2-3 lbs.

Vyvanse (extended release adderall)- works REALLY FREAKIN well. I took this for a year prior to my surgery because I had low energy to the point of struggling to get out of bed and a large appetite. My doc prescribed this and it worked like a miracle to get me out of bed, focused on work, and not over-eating. I lost 10 lbs in my first month on it and kept it off through the year. Over time I grew to hate taking it. It caused my heart rate to stay around 110 and I struggled constantly with sleeping at night. I came off the pills 6 days ago when I had my surgery (and good riddance!!!)

Either way, if you take the pills every day they quickly stop being as effective. So, definitely not a long term solution... But I don't regret my time on them either.

@@McButterpants I think most of us have falling off the wagon. Im so glad you have a good support system. I would so love to join a Yoga class...

I know you can do it... and im glad the pills are helping you get back on track. I say, what ever it takes to achieve your goals. I have found myself at a stand still. I have to lose it slow as to now draw attention from my husband. if i lose it too fast he starts griping that im too skinny.... funny because when we met i was not even 100lbs.... So i lose a pound here and there. My 8's can now come off with out button or zipping... whoop.

i have resolved to make 2016 a better happier year.

few things i did: Set small goals and when i achieved them..I rewarded myself not with food, but other things like.. going to the salon and getting my toes polished. I also wrote on my mirror with a dry erase marker positive thoughts and quotes.

Remember:.... Today your not as thin as you want to be, but your not as fat as you were....

@bayougirlmrsc,

Many yoga studios have a "community day" one day a week - in my town, almost all of them do a $5 drop in. It's a great way to try a class and it's cheap. I love hot yoga - it's funny how I hate the heat, but doing yoga in a 102 degree room doesn't bother me. I just got back from a practice with a teacher I've never had before - WOW, I feel amazing. For me, yoga is good for my brain. It's a full hour where no one is trying to get a hold of me, my phone isn't ringing and there aren't multiple people asking me for something. It's an hour all for me. Top that off with some amazing stretching and toning exercises and it's a great way to start the day.

I'm going into 2016 motivated and feeling good again - exercise is the best medicine for me, I know that, but sometimes forget it.

Have an awesome 2016!

I wish I could get a hold of some appetite suppressants.

I would not use them every day. I would use them when I knew there would be temptations around. I hate it when I do so well all week long, then I have some social engagement where I know there will be a ton of food. It's always a table

full of everything I love. I end up gaining 2 lbs, but it takes the entire next week to lose that. It's a vicious circle.

I had some herbs Mau Hung, which worked great, but they have been taken off the market. It was wonderful having something around when I knew I would need a little extra help.

@@Oregondaisy have you had a conversation with your doc? I agree with your and how you plan to use them. I do the exact same thing. No problem all week long, and then the weekend hits. I gain, lose it the next week, and rinse/repeat.

I stopped taking mine because I was having a surgery and didn't want any interference with anesthesia, but plan to start them in the next few days. I'm going to be home recovering and that is when I do the worst. A couple of cashews now, a cheese stick later, coffee with cream....and I just consumed an additional150 calories, minimum. And meanwhile, I feel tortured trying NOT to do that. What I just described is me succeeding against the demon that is my appetite some days. Other days, I have NO problem. Unfortunately for me, I gain a lot, and quickly.

The strategy in the "Maintenance" phase is different than in the "Weight Loss" phase. This short article describes my personal experience with this phase. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

This is an awesome article and great resource. I've saved it to my phone and especially the EO recipe. I've just started with these and need all the help I can get especially this one. I do have constant hunger UNLESS I am at work and then can go all day. But at home, wow!!!

Started talking with my insurance company about my denial for vyvanse, I want to know who makes that call, and why would I have to see another Dr for three months, ridiculous I say, we shall see what happens in the meantime I'm going for my swallow test in the am, something the new bariatric dr wants before he sees me as a new patient

Up date , insurance is now going to cover the vyvanse , hmmmm must have asked the correct questions

@@McButterpants ... how are you doing? What did you decide to do re appetite suppressants? And, more importantly, what did your upper GI and ultrasound reveal? (If you want to share, that is.)

I'm doing ok , my insurance has decided that it will cover the vyvanse, started taking it again last week, 2lbs down, as for the upper GI had to be rescheduled do to an allergic reaction to barium, that wi be done on Thursday the 11 th, thank you for checking up on me

@@VSGAnn2014,

Thanks for checking on me. It's been an interesting few weeks…Had my tests and they found a hernia in my tummy and gall stones.

I had surgery 2 weeks ago to remove the gall bladder - doc wouldn't repair the hernia. I had one repaired at the time of my VSG and he said it's recurring and there isn't enough stomach available to fix it. So, we'll live with the hernia and manage symptoms. Gall bladder was very infected by the time I had surgery and he said that once recovered I should feel much, much better. Recovery is much more painful and difficult than I expected. LOL. I overdid it on Sunday by walking 4 miles - it felt so good to walk and I had so much energy…My husband tried to get me to stop, but I told him,"I'm OK, I'm not pushing it." Uhm…yesterday I felt like I had been hit by a truck and today is only marginally better - I actually feel like I did about 3 days post-op.

So, for the appetite suppressants…I had a follow up visit last Friday. I lost 4 pounds very quickly when I started taking them, but nothing since then - well, I did have surgery, so I'll cut myself some slack. We talked about my concerns, specifically with the Phentermine. Here's what we decided to do. I will take the phentermine in the morning on days where I feel like things could get out of control - I usually know by 10:00 am if the day is heading in the direction where I could stress eat. The afternoon pill helps me out a lot with those afternoon cravings and snacking. I foresee taking that more often. I have another follow up with her in 2 months to see how things are going.

Another thing she said - "get 80 grams of protein"…yeah, yeah, yeah. My mind knows this - "get your Protein in". I'm horrible at tracking on paper or my phone - I've never been good at it. So I started monitoring it and I realized quickly, I'm not getting in anywhere close to 80 grams a day. So, I'm back on 2 shakes a day which gets me an easy 40 grams. I'll get the balance from food. She also said to make sure I'm taking my vitamins…another thing I'm not wonderful at!

So that's the McButterpants update! Thanks again for all the great feedback and for checking in with me!

Wow! That is a lot of stuff happening in your life. Good to hear you're getting all of it addressed. Check, check, check!

:)

i went to my band doctor because I had my sleeve in MX and got phentermine. That stuff works great. I can't take it often though because I know he would not give it to me often. It's going to be a big help though. I took one on superbowl Sunday and had to force myself to drink a Protein Drink.< /p>