Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appetite suppressants (prescribed) 2 years out...

I am NOT against taking antidepressants as prescribed by a doctor in conjunction with therapy or counseling. I've been on 3 different kinds. And while they helped some, in the end their benefits were not worth the negative side effects.

My best friend committed suicide 8 months ago. He had been on antidepressants for years following a breakdown and was doing very well. However, he had recently stopped taking them (without telling anyone) and I have no doubt that contributed to his state of mind when he decided to pull the trigger. Looking back now I can almost pinpoint to the day when he stopped them based on the changes in his mood and behavior. Perhaps he'd still be alive if he was still taking his anti depressants ?? For him, the pros certainly seemed to outweigh the cons.

And I was more than happy to take the Xanax prescribed by my doctor after his death. An occasional anti anxiety on my really bad days definitely beats the daily self medicating with alcohol that I opted for after my brothers death.

So my post was not meant to be anti-drugs. I just wanted to share my experiences and stress that even prescribed medications can cause harm. But they can also be beneficial. Everyone needs to make informed decisions about the best way to proceed with their WLS journey and that's exactly what the OP is doing by posting here.

And would it make you feel better about my "claims" if I posted my brothers autopsy report and mothers ER notes?

Edited by Kindle

And would it make you feel better about my "claims" if I posted my brothers autopsy report and mothers ER notes?

Of course not. I already feel just fine. Autopsy reports and ER notes are private medical records so I genuinely hope you do not post them on the Internet.

It sounds like you, and those in your circle, have had a tough health history. I do not discount your experiences--they were clearly very difficult for you. But they are just that--your experiences. They are anecdotal. Just like my experiences with various medications (all good, or at least not bad) are anecdotal.

I just don't think it helps to scare anyone with worst-case scenarios. Some people could really find relief with medical help but may now choose not to seek it out of (unnecessary, in my opinion) fear.

I don't intend to be antagonistic so please, no need to be defensive. I'm just trying to take a rational perspective.

"I just don't think it helps to scare anyone with worst-case scenarios. Some people could really find relief with medical help but may now choose not to seek it out of (unnecessary, in my opinion) fear. "

I actually feel the opposite. Knowledge is power and to make any decision without knowing both the good and the bad is irresponsible. Burying your head in the sand doesn't make the bad stuff go away. I spent days (probably weeks) reading about WLS complications and worst case scenarios before deciding to have VSG. Did the same before having my cervical fusion, cholecystectomy and endovenous ablation. Of course it was scary, but better to be prepared for all possibilities than be surprised and disappointed if they happen.

Edited by Kindle

I was just going to ask if anyone was doing both the surgery and the pills. I enjoyed Phentermine. It made me feel good. But the problem is that I think it began messing with my heart. I'm afraid to take it now. However, I feel I might need that extra something to get down to my goal weight.

I think I'd rather just do what my nutritionist suggested, and do some re-set days or to the 5/2 way of eating if it ever comes to that for me. Right now, that helps with stalls, so I imagine it would help with regain. Drugs scare me. Especially the weight loss ones. Does anyone remember Ephedra and Phen/fen?

re: "I feel I might need that extra something to get down to my goal weight."

we all have ideas of what 'something extra' SHOULD accomplish.....yet I wonder in what manner is measured either what is accomplished or what it takes to do such.

And the reality of just what that matters, if our goal is not attained in a given time frame, depends on the drive/desires of the individual. What exactly motivates us to desire that extra 10% weight loss, when "90#" was quite remarkable in itself.

About 20 years ago my MD was convinced my T level 'needed to be raised'. So I took a few shots and a few of his Rx pills.

My blood measurements of T level increased over the weeks, as did a whole slew of symptoms I didn't like: jitteryness, irritability, decreased ability to concentrate, cranky behavior, etc etc. My T level climbed to where it was "80% of normal" for my age. Each new injection was followed by ever more undesirable. Finally chest pains and increased blood pressure, loss of sleep etc etc, directly linked to testosterone 'therapy' to 'get me up to the Normal' level.

I could see no advantage to getting another 10% closer to 'his goal'. We terminated that plan and over the weeks my charming and witty disposition returned.

Chest pains remained for years.

Good post, @@Jack .

Makes me appreciate that good health for everyone isn't located at a single measurement of a single metric, but is more nuanced than that.

Human beings' bodies (including healthy bodies) vary in so many ways. Because of our focus on weight, most of us appreciate that a single BMI measurement doesn't define "success" for everyone. We should extend that appreciation to our views on other health metrics.

Thanks.

Wow - I didn't expect to come back to so many posts! I love it when a topic keeps going.

A couple of things...

My doctor and i had a very frank conversation - SHE asked me if I was interested in the suppressants. When I replied with, "I thought those days were over" (meaning, I thought my days of worrying daily about my weight were behind me - I was scared, because I do not want to go back to that miserable person I was two years ago). She said, "This could just be the jump start you need.", ie. a short term solution to get my head right again, get back on track and regain control. She also discussed exercising on a regular basis - "exercise is not an optional activity", she said. We talked about an eating plan which will also help with the appetite - trying to fit in 3 meals (food for Breakfast, lunch and dinner), 2 shakes and the Water has proven to be difficult. If nothing else, I'm more focused again and I do not feel helpless. I am, again, working on McButterpants. So she wasn't prescribing and I'm not taking the suppressants as any magic bullet or a long term solution - like a couple of people mentioned, it's a tool.

On the "goal weight" topic - I gave up on my unrealistic pre-op goal weight a long time ago. Around the 18 month mark, when I hit my lowest weight, I realized that I was never going to get there and I was totally OK with that. During this process, this has become about so much more than a number on a scale. For 43 years I identified myself as the funny fat girl - I would make self-depricating remarks and people would laugh and I wouldn't let people know how unhappy, sad and full of self loathing I was. I would eat in private - I would actually look forward to when my husband and son would leave so I could eat. It was a horrible hell in which I lived. So, I was avoiding the 17 pound weight gain - If I didn't talk about it, it didn't happen. My jeans weren't THAT tight. My fear of going back to where I was 2 years ago, quite frankly, scared the $hit out of me. After a few days of regaining control, with the help of the appetite suppressants, I'm not feeling like that any more. I feel like I'm working TOWARDS my goal of healthy living, not avoiding (there is not a number attached to that "healthy living" goal").

I mentioned above this process has become more than the number on the scale - I want to expound on that, especially for the newly sleeved or the pre-oppers. My life is wonderful. This process has made me a better person - I have found out I am stronger than I ever realized. I smile ALL THE TIME. I am genuinely happy. I've become more outgoing - I make it a goal when I travel to spend time talking to one random stranger daily - that has helped with shyness and has helped me come out of my shell. My husband and I have a great relationship - we did before surgery, but now it's more (not too much detail, but the physical aspect of our relationship is much better - that was my hangup not his). My son sees me as a role model for physical activity - we work out together, we go to hot yoga together, we cook together, our relationship is stronger. Work - that has been a wild ride. I went from wanting to quit my job 14 months ago, to getting a promotion and now being viewed a valued member of the executive team. That wouldn't have happened 75 pounds ago when I was perfectly happy giving my ideas away freely and not speaking up in meetings. I now walk into a conference room and take a seat at the table as opposed to sitting in the background with my back against the wall.

I appreciate everyone's input on this topic and the twists and turns this thread has taken - people are very passionate about how they feel and I dig that. Some people like to tell stories of "worst case scenarios" - I've never been into that and while I read them, I don't let them rent too much space in my head. I could drive down the highway at 75 miles an hour and have a head on collision with a semi - that's probably the worse case scenario. But I will say, that's not going to stop me from taking that drive and looking at the mountains and enjoying the view.

Have a great weekend everyone!

On the "goal weight" topic - I gave up on my unrealistic pre-op goal weight a long time ago. Around the 18 month mark, when I hit my lowest weight, I realized that I was never going to get there and I was totally OK with that. During this process, this has become about so much more than a number on a scale. For 43 years I identified myself as the funny fat girl - I would make self-depricating remarks and people would laugh and I wouldn't let people know how unhappy, sad and full of self loathing I was. I would eat in private - I would actually look forward to when my husband and son would leave so I could eat. It was a horrible hell in which I lived. So, I was avoiding the 17 pound weight gain - If I didn't talk about it, it didn't happen. My jeans weren't THAT tight. My fear of going back to where I was 2 years ago, quite frankly, scared the **** out of me. After a few days of regaining control, with the help of the appetite suppressants, I'm not feeling like that any more. I feel like I'm working TOWARDS my goal of healthy living, not avoiding (there is not a number attached to that "healthy living" goal").

I mentioned above this process has become more than the number on the scale - I want to expound on that, especially for the newly sleeved or the pre-oppers. My life is wonderful. This process has made me a better person - I have found out I am stronger than I ever realized. I smile ALL THE TIME. I am genuinely happy. I've become more outgoing - I make it a goal when I travel to spend time talking to one random stranger daily - that has helped with shyness and has helped me come out of my shell. My husband and I have a great relationship - we did before surgery, but now it's more (not too much detail, but the physical aspect of our relationship is much better - that was my hangup not his). My son sees me as a role model for physical activity - we work out together, we go to hot yoga together, we cook together, our relationship is stronger. Work - that has been a wild ride. I went from wanting to quit my job 14 months ago, to getting a promotion and now being viewed a valued member of the executive team. That wouldn't have happened 75 pounds ago when I was perfectly happy giving my ideas away freely and not speaking up in meetings. I now walk into a conference room and take a seat at the table as opposed to sitting in the background with my back against the wall.

I simply adore what you wrote about goals and how a goal weight is not what's important. I bounce around between 120 and as much as 129. My lowest weight was 112. The numbers are not not not important. What's important is how my life has changed for the better because I'm a normal size once again. I try to stay around the same weight because I want my clothes to not be tight, and I want to feel in control. Otherwise this is all about how my life has improved. No, it's not perfect, but it's so different than it was three years ago. I am happy and healthy for the most part. I do what I want and nothing stops me...not my size, not my mobility..or lack thereof. My three year anniversary is coming up and this is what I will write about. Thanks for providing the topic @McButterpants.

i work i psychiatry and i am a patient my self so i know both sides of the coin in relation to psych meds i know how much they can help and how much damage they can do if they are prescribed willy nilly and as my md that i work for says psychiatry is half art half science you walk this delecate balance with these peoples lives in your hands esspecially the kids. so my heart goes out to the person whos friend committed suicide i had that happen also to a friend of mine and i would give anything to have that friend back

McButterpants,

First, I want to say I am so glad your doctor was understanding! That makes such a difference. You should never need to be afraid to go to your doctor, and I am glad your doctor had the right reaction.

About the appetite suppressants, I would be nervous, too. I wonder if you could do something that would please your doctor and get you back on track. Maybe you could tell your doctor to give you a month before you start the prescription. In that time, maybe you could really focus and try to lose some of the regained weight. That would give you a nice goal that should be doable, and if not, maybe the appetite suppressants would help.

I've been taking the appetite suppressant for a few days now, and I can say it's a night day difference. Would I rather not need them? Absolutely. However, I am going to do everything in my power to prevent more regain than I already have. I feel like that switch has been flipped off. I've successfully stayed 700-900 calories, without the torment I usually experience to keep from eating. I don't plan on using this forever, just during difficult times. I just can't afford a gain while I wait for that to pass.

Also, my life is exponentially better with weight loss. I'm still me, only V2.0 is way better! I am not willing to risk losing this life I fought so hard to get.

One other thing - while the number on the scale isn't the only thing to focus on, I don't think you can ignore it. When I was overweight, there was number associated with it, and it was bad. That number was making me less than healthy. Now, at a lower number, I'm good. I think the message is in settling on a good number that supports the health and lifestyle we want.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Don't judge when you can never take a walk in someone else's shoes.

I am 3 years pos-op my gained 30 lbs,Dr prescribed vyvance FDA approved for BED binge eating disorder, I needed extra help and I am not ashamed, and yes it is helping down 6 lbs in 2 weeks.

Hello all.

I have been absent from this form for a few months - I needed a little break, I've been so busy with work (traveled 10 out of 13 weeks) and, well, life happens.

So, I went to my 2 year follow up - a suspected gall bladder issue forced my hand. I was procrastinating going for my follow up because I've gained 17 pounds from my low weight. I was ashamed and didn't want to verbalize what I just wrote here. If I avoid saying it out loud, it's not as real. So I have been experiencing some discomfort when I eat and felt like I had to go in to get the gall bladder checked out.

My doc is awesome - I knew this, but I was embarrassed. She made me feel comfortable and I kind of unloaded on what's been going on. I've been snacking/grazing, not exercising like I should and think I have a problem with acid (which leads to more snacking). She ordered an upper GI and an ultrasound which happens next month.

She suggested appetite suppressants which alarmed me. My knee jerk reaction was "Really? I thought I wouldn't have to do that ever again!" She said this is "perfectly normal" at this point. We can use it as a jump start to get yourself back on track - it may not be a long term thing.

So I came here - my good old support system to ask…Has anyone else been thru this? What are your thoughts on suppressants? I'm researching more on my own, but would like some thoughts from my fellow veterans.

What say you?

Curious to know how it is going for you. What are you taking and it is working for you? I too am up 5-6 lbs.

Hello all.

I have been absent from this form for a few months - I needed a little break, I've been so busy with work (traveled 10 out of 13 weeks) and, well, life happens.

So, I went to my 2 year follow up - a suspected gall bladder issue forced my hand. I was procrastinating going for my follow up because I've gained 17 pounds from my low weight. I was ashamed and didn't want to verbalize what I just wrote here. If I avoid saying it out loud, it's not as real. So I have been experiencing some discomfort when I eat and felt like I had to go in to get the gall bladder checked out.

My doc is awesome - I knew this, but I was embarrassed. She made me feel comfortable and I kind of unloaded on what's been going on. I've been snacking/grazing, not exercising like I should and think I have a problem with acid (which leads to more snacking). She ordered an upper GI and an ultrasound which happens next month.

She suggested appetite suppressants which alarmed me. My knee jerk reaction was "Really? I thought I wouldn't have to do that ever again!" She said this is "perfectly normal" at this point. We can use it as a jump start to get yourself back on track - it may not be a long term thing.

So I came here - my good old support system to ask…Has anyone else been thru this? What are your thoughts on suppressants? I'm researching more on my own, but would like some thoughts from my fellow veterans.

What say you?

Curious to know how it is going for you. What are you taking and it is working for you? I too am up 5-6 lbs.

I'm taking Phentermine (10 am) and Diethylpropion (4 pm). I am down 2-3 pounds in a week.

At first the Phentermine jacked me up, but that is getting better.

I don't think about food like I did a week ago and the urge to snack is gone.

Now to get back on the exercise train!!!!!!!!