Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I was sleeved on Dec 1.

I realize that everyone's experience is going to be different, but I hope that by sharing my own observations, maybe I can lessen some of the anxiety for someone else.

I did a lot of research on the sleeve right up until the day before I got it. Even with all that, I felt unprepared and pretty nervous about what was going to be a permanent change.

My friend dropped me off at the front of the hospital for my pre-op check-in. My family all lives out of town and I didn't tell a ton of people what I was up to. So I texted a few well-wishers from the waiting room and then the party started.

There were a lot of questions, a fancy air-warmed paper gown and skidproof socks to change into, and some vitals and blood taken. So far, so good.

I didn't get really, really nervous until the anesthetist showed up during the prep and I think it was because that was the first time I'd been left alone since arriving, so I had time to consider what I was about to do. I was dialing my friend to ask him to come back and take me home, but then the team swept in, being all efficient and professional, and I just kind of let it go. You know, I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I wanted to go home so I could eat. :wacko: I was THAT hungry.

I don't remember much after the IV was started. I think I was transferred from the surgical gurney to my bed on an inflatable mattress, but I could have been imagining that.

I didn't have much pain at all -- more discomfort than anything. I intended to stay one night, but ended up staying two because the air from the procedure wouldn't er... move out. They said that's common. I also wasn't getting enough fluids in -- also very common.

I packed according to lists I found on here.

• The clothes I wore to the hospital (t shirt, loose jacket, fleece pants, underclothes, warm socks, boots that I could just slide on)
  • Phone charger with a looong cord
  • An electric throw (this was GREAT!)
  • A comb, face soap, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, and hand lotion
  • Aquaphor (or Chapstick)
  • A copy of my healthcare directive

I braided my hair while it was damp the day I left for the hospital because it tends to tangle a lot. The band was fabric, so they let me keep it in and it held the mess together pretty well for a full day.

I didn't touch the magazines or the washcloth I'd brought along. I was given an inspirometer the week before my procedure and I brought it with me as instructed. After surgery, they gave me another one, so I just left the first one in my bag.

I also brought a heating pad on the advice of a friend who'd previously had the surgery, but I ditched it for the cozy throw. Plus the throw was nice to use in place of a pillow for the ride home. I left a bottle of Water in the car for the ride home as well. This provided a good distraction from the bumps and turns.

I wish I'd brought along

• an extra set of underwear, pants, and socks
  • shampoo and conditioner
  • something to keep all the paperwork in
  • an MP3 player -- my roommate was inconsiderate
  • my FitBit to track my steps

I wore the fleece pants to cover up my bottom while I trucked around the halls, but I was strongly urged to keep the hospital gown on because of the IV.

I had a couple of friends visit later on the day of the surgery and can't recall much about the time except that they brought me a sign calling me a loser :D and some shakes and I was really, really tired. I remember the surgeon stopping by, and a LOT of other people checking in. (I was at a university hospital, so I expect I had a few residents inspecting the surgeon's work.) It's all kind of fuzzy and I just have an impression of people popping in to ask a few questions and look at my belly.

The staples came out the day after the procedure. It hurt a little bit, but not unbearably and it was over quickly.

I was allowed to shower after that and they only gave me a couple of trial-size bottles of Johnson's, which doubles as a body wash. So it took a bit of work and a lot of energy to get my hair combed out afterward.

I had a lot of choices for "meals": vegetarian, chicken, or beef broth (all too salty); juice; Gatorade; lemonade; oatmeal; yogurt; popsicles; teas; coffees; and sherbet. I fixated on the sherbet and popsicles because for some reason, cold felt better than hot. I noticed right away that the artificial sweetener chemical aftertaste lingered and lingered and lingered. Through several cups of Water and Gatorade. The lemonade kind of helped, but I couldn't drink enough to get rid of it completely. I sucked on ice chips whenever I had them handy.

I was encouraged to walk as much as possible, and I got in a few laps. I had to pee in a bowl that fit under the toilet seat to monitor my input/output. That was kind of weird. But when you're drugged up, you get a little less self conscious.

Since this is about the hospital, I won't detail the liquid phase or any of that stuff here. I will say that I came home, put a pillow under my knees and an extra one under my melon and I slept like a frickin' princess. (I'm a week out and just now able to start sleeping on my side again.)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but hopefully this will give you some idea of what to expect when you go. I don't think I was well prepared by me surgical team as far as what to expect after the surgery and I plan on sharing that feedback with them. But I was prepared enough and always felt like I was in competent hands.

Welcome to the adventure, you Losers! :)

post-242945-0-99421200-1449571680_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bacon-n-Limes

Great!!!congratulations!!!!You are now an official loser!!!!

Thank you! I go in tomorrow and you gave me a lot of good information!

Very helpful. I have mine on 10th. Wish me luck x

yes this was awesome. mine is on the 14th. good luck to everyone having their surgery here shortly.

This is awesome! My turn tomorrow and so anxious about the pain and being able to move around. This makes me feel better.

Oh! And congrats!!!!

I am so very excited for all of you! I am three weeks out today!! Been great!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience. You mentioned you were able to shower while there. I was curious if I would be allowed to shower because of the IV? At what point did your IV get removed?

Thanks for sharing your experience. You mentioned you were able to shower while there. I was curious if I would be allowed to shower because of the IV? At what point did your IV get removed?

I did have the IV removed right before, but they told me the day before that I could take one anytime. I just didn't feel like dealing with wet hair, so I waited.

I reckon you'd want to ask your nurse, but I can't see why it would be a problem.

Love the sign! Thanks for sharing!

Update

I accidentally discovered something today that might make your ride home more comfortable.

I live in MN, so weather is a real consideration when planning outdoor activities. We've had a run of 40-something degree days that are apparently about to end, so I decided that I really need to get my bike home from the shop today or I'd very likely get stuck paying for winter storage. It's less than 20 miles, so I risked it.

The ride was chilly but uneventful. My biggest worry was that bouncing would be really uncomfortable, because it still is when I'm in the car, and this is a dirtbike, so the seat it like riding a cinder block. No need to worry -- the position I was in while riding made it perfectly comfortable, bumps and everything. It's more like being on a bicycle and leaning forward than sitting straight up on a chair.

I can't drive in that position, but as a passenger later on, it worked.

Just an idea...

First follow up today. Everything looks good.

The hiccups are most likely a signal to stop eating or drinking.

Milk is probably causing the gas pains. (Once lactose intolerant, always lactose intolerant.)

My inability to swallow the foul concoction the hospital sent home with me for reflux isn't a dealbreaker -- if I can swallow a pill, I can take that route.

And yes it's 100% true: NEVER trust a fart.