Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August '07 -- Compare pre-op diets

I asked my PA why every doctor seems to have such a different pre-op diet. She said that they don't feel a small amount of dieting (1-2 weeks) really shrinks the liver or internal organs that much but it does help. They only do a 1 week pre op diet because it's easier for people to stick to and the difference between 1 and 2 weeks on the liver isn't significant. They'd rather have someone strictly follow a 1 week diet, than do a 2 week diet with some of cheating. (which I guess is what seems to happen frequently with such a long stretch of time.) I guess we all got heavy some how lol.gif

8/27/07 is my date

I have to do a liquid diet for 6 days. Then Clear Liquids on the 7th day. I can have a small amount of steamed veggies or fresh fruit in the first 3 days, if I'm feeling too run down or weak. No more than 1 cup per day and they recommend you try not to indulge at all.

They push Medifast for a Protein Shake but I found I like the Unjury better and it's not as expense. That's what I'm going with.

6 meals per day - 2 Protein Shakes (16ozs) and 4 of something else. (low fat Soup, pudding, yogurt, Carnation Instant Breakfast or skim milk blended with small amounts of fruit)

I can have unlimited Snacks of broth, Jello, and ice pops. (all sugar free)

Goal per day =

<1200 calories, >85 grams Protein, <175 carbs, <12 fat

My surgery is scheduled for August 27th, too! I have to do a preop diet too but I won't pick up that info until the 14th of August. Want to be band buddies?

shelli:ranger:

:faint:My pre-op diet officially starts 8/11/07. But my doctor suggested that I could start it as soon as possible, but not required asap. I have my gallbladder surgery on the 14th. So I have been cutting back a little or reducing my calorie intake but not to the pre-op diet yet. My pre-op diet is 10 days long. The first 8 days is a 1000 calorie diet with Protein, fruits, veggies, sugar-free jello's and popsicles, Water, & diet drinks. The 2 days (48 hours) before my surgery (Lap-band 8/21/07) is a clear liquid only diet. Examples: Light cranberry juice cocktail, sugar-free Jello, tea with lemon, ff chicken broth, apple juice, sugar-free popsicles, ff beef broth, white grape juice, etc. Well, I guess having my gallbladder out the week before will help with the pre-op diet since I'm guessing I won't really want to eat very much after that.;)

I am on my Pre op diet. August 6th is my date.

7 Days of liquid only. I can do Slim fast, Atkins shakes Medifast, EAS, just a s long as not Ensure. Plenty of Water, sugur free Jello. Then just clear liquids the day before. I am doing about 3 EAS shakes and 2 Slimfast as Slimfast is cheap but doesnt have much Protein.< /p>

This is what I don't understand...everyone thinks the pre-op diet is so rigorous,but the truth is that this whole process is rigorous and anything you can do to ,help your body adjust to a new lifesyle will be good. Any steps you can do that will satify your hunger and keep you from craving or obsessing on food will help. And if you can lose weight and get your body shifted over to the weight loss side rather than the weight gain side is also a plus. Lets look at what a benefit the preop can be and not how hard it is.

This is what I don't understand...everyone thinks the pre-op diet is so rigorous,but the truth is that this whole process is rigorous and anything you can do to ,help your body adjust to a new lifesyle will be good. Any steps you can do that will satify your hunger and keep you from craving or obsessing on food will help. And if you can lose weight and get your body shifted over to the weight loss side rather than the weight gain side is also a plus. Lets look at what a benefit the preop can be and not how hard it is.

I don't think EVERYONE feels the pre-op diet is "so rigorous". I think that MOST obese people find an all liquid diet to be a serious challenge and need to be able to express that in a safe environment. That's what this thread is all about. You don't go your whole life eating to obesity, then all of a sudden find it simple to make the transformation to healthy eating, much less cut out all solid food completely for a period of time. There are the few that have no trouble sticking to the pre-op diet, but the majority find it difficult and I personally don't think their feelings about it are trivial at all.

Kudo's to all of you on the pre-op diet and are making it through! It's not easy, but you're doing it! Each day you do it, the closer you are to the healthy you! Keep up the good work!

7 Days of liquid only. I can do Slim fast, Atkins shakes Medifast, EAS, just a s long as not Ensure. Plenty of Water, sugur free Jello. Then just clear liquids the day before. I am doing about 3 EAS shakes and 2 Slimfast as Slimfast is cheap but doesnt have much Protein.

How do the EAS shakes taste? Do you mix it or is it pre-made? Where do you buy it?

Good luck on Monday.

7 Days of liquid only. I can do Slim fast, Atkins shakes Medifast, EAS, just a s long as not Ensure. Plenty of Water, sugur free Jello. Then just clear liquids the day before. I am doing about 3 EAS shakes and 2 Slimfast as Slimfast is cheap but doesnt have much Protein.

Hey Daddy,

I'm being banded on Aug. 6 as well. I'm doing a week of liquids. Mainly slim-fast shakes and occasionally Soup. Slim Fast does have a high Protein variety (comes in chocolate and vanilla) that's slightly better than the regular. I use those and the strawberry Slim Fast Ultima.