Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Planet fitness vs YMCA

I'm a little under a month from surgery date and am trying to get a lot of things in order before hand.. So any advice would be helpful!

I've had a membership to planet fitness before and know the cost/equipment they have is great. However, I've always questioned joining the YMCA.

To those of you out there who have experienced either of these gyms, which did you prefer? Why?

Thanks again!

Edited by bluejeanbaby

our YMCA was very expensive just for the gym. I go to Snap fitness which I love. It's 24 hours and not many people

The YMCA is the most expensive option, but I was a member for about 2 years post op. I liked the types of programs they had, Water aerobics, family friendly - I felt comfortable there. They also had lots of fun classes like spinning classes, boot camp style, stretching, yoga... etc. etc

I am fitter now, don't need Water aerobics, so when I join the gym (temporarily) this winter I will pick a lower cost option, but I think the Y is great.

I am partial to the Y (because I like swimming, Water classes, etc.)

I have never been to a Planet Fitness.

Don't let the cost of the Y scare you away before you talk to them. I know they can offer a sliding scale for membership based on need.

Also, talk to your PCP.

We have a wellness center affiliated with our hospital, and I away eligible for a discount because I was referred by my PCP. Sometimes a doctor's prescription will help you with fees and it's possible your insurance may have a benefit, too.

Some businesses have deals with the Y so their employees can pay less. I just rejoined and my monthly fee was the same (without business intervention) as I was paying--and not using--at 24 Hour Fitness. The Y has instituted a new policy where they would not tell me their fee until I came in. I almost didn't rejoin because of that. Idiotic policy from a PR stance.

I never felt right at the other gym. It was full of gym bunnies and people already in shape. I used the Y during my power lifting days. I was still obese, but it never made me feel out of place. I've never been to a Planet Fitness. I say go with the establishment that makes you feel the most comfortable. If you like it there, you're more likely to keep using it.

ETA: All classes at my Y are free once you're a member. That wasn't the case at 24 Hour fitness. You might look into that if you want to take classes.

Edited by songsmith

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If it's mostly strength-training machines, treadmills, etc, it's cheaper to go with Planet Fitness. But if you're interested in pool-based activities, yoga classes, etc, then you'd be better off with a comprehensive place like the Y. I like our Y. They seem mostly focused on seniors and families, so you don't get the spandex crowd there. I've always felt really comfortable there.

I hate the weights at the Y-- when I compare them with the weight machines at Planet fitness-- they seem flimsy. The pulley system the Y has on their weights don't seem like they'd hold up over time. But I like the Y's cardio equipment better, more variety and technology (I can watch TV right on the treadmill, vs. looking up at one of the screen @ PF etc).

I don't do exercise classes, but the Y offers them, Planet Fitness doesn't.

And then there's cost... the Y is pricey-- and I don't meet "need based pricing." Right now my kids are Y members for the programs, and I'll go while they are there and use the Y's stuff.

Overall, I prefer Planet fitness.

You are far better off doing compound lifts than using any machine. Use dumb bells and do rows and curls and chest presses. Get someone to spot you and squat using a bar and wheels. Learn how to do a deadlift and a good morning. When you're up to it you can do pull-ups. They work more muscle groups, so you'll get a better workout faster than hitting the machines. Besides, many of the machines force us--especially the out of shape--into poor position.

And lastly, every time you think you're lifting too heavy, remember this. 99% of women do not gain muscle. Those ladies you see in the body builder competitions are down to about 3% body fat and many of them use steroids. Women do not produce the testosterone to build big muscles. And if that still makes you turn to those cute little colored weights, ask yourself this. How much does that purse you lug around every day weigh?

:D Sorry for the rant. It used to drive me nuts when I'd see women wasting their time or, worse, some "trainer" telling them to use the 2 pound weights when they could easily handle 10 per hand. Also, squats will give you a lovely butt. ;D (Stay away from Smith machines!)''

ETA (again): Ys vary. The one we had near us in Texas was pitiful. The one where we live now has great equipment.

Edited by songsmith

My experience was I did not get good results using the weight machines. It was doing boot camp style - using your own body weight as resistance - that I got toned and fit. That and high intensity aerobic like spinning (it is done as interval training ). I found the y had these things, but the cheaper places just have machines and free weights.

I am comfortable using free weights since I learned in college but not everyone is. Not everyone has (or wants) a spotter. I only trusted male spotters when I was benching 100# with free weights and I frankly don't want to deal with it anymore.

So, what I can attest to is I never built big muscles. I get toned and defined but lack the "T" to bulk up. Women are foolish to worry about it unless they plan to lift like 4 hours a day and take steriods.

I recently joined the Y about two months ago. I will tell you upfront I was totally intimidated by the whole idea of going to the gym. I was scheduled with a health coach who walked me through how to use each machine and then was allowed two more meetings to be sure I was on the right track- included in my membership. I was then given access to mobilefit which gives me my daily workout and machine recommendations- also included in my membership. Our Y has access to all equipment, group exercise classes, indoor/ outdoor pools-all included in my membership. While the Y is a little on the pricey side, it has given me an opportunity to try lots of different activities to find what I enjoy. The staff is friendly and I like knowing that my membership dues support a family oriented organization that is really focused on the community. There are a wide variety of ages and body types so I have been able to overcome my gym anxieties and just enjoy trying to live a healthier lifestyle. For me, the Y was definitely the right choice!

I'm a little under a month from surgery date and am trying to get a lot of things in order before hand.. So any advice would be helpful!

I've had a membership to planet fitness before and know the cost/equipment they have is great. However, I've always questioned joining the YMCA.

To those of you out there who have experienced either of these gyms, which did you prefer? Why?

Thanks again!

i have been going to planet fitness since I was three weeks out of surgery. I used the treadmill until I felt comfortable doing more. I was going as my hubbies guest. Three weeks ago I joined so I could start working with the personal trainer(free with black card) I start my actually training Wednesday of this week. He will help me to figure out the settings on each machine so I am using it correctly. Also he will figure out the weighs that I need to be using so that I am not over doing it. I am going to stick with the trainer and use him as much as possible to get toned and to my goal weigh and maintain the weigh for awhile before I change anything up. Then I will consider the y because I will be able to use the pool and not feel like everyone in the place is starring at me. Also by working with the trainer and having him check me every so often I will know I am lifting the correct weight and doing the correct form. After about 6-8 months of working with him a believe that I will know every machine in the gym and how to use it correctly. I have met him the trainer twice and told him he was going to be stuck with my for awhile. So hopefully my plan works and then by the middle of the summer I will be ready for the pool!!

BTW, my stats are

HW-Jan 2015(seminar Jan 8) 265

SW-June 15-240

Today-187

So I have loss and hopefully the personal trainer can help get the last 22 pounds off as my goal weigh is 165.

Thanks again!

i have been going to planet fitness since I was three weeks out of surgery. I used the treadmill until I felt comfortable doing more. I was going as my hubbies guest. Three weeks ago I joined so I could start working with the personal trainer(free with black card) I start my actually training Wednesday of this week. He will help me to figure out the settings on each machine so I am using it correctly. Also he will figure out the weighs that I need to be using so that I am not over doing it. I am going to stick with the trainer and use him as much as possible to get toned and to my goal weigh and maintain the weigh for awhile before I change anything up. Then I will consider the y because I will be able to use the pool and not feel like everyone in the place is starring at me. Also by working with the trainer and having him check me every so often I will know I am lifting the correct weight and doing the correct form. After about 6-8 months of working with him a believe that I will know every machine in the gym and how to use it correctly. I have met him the trainer twice and told him he was going to be stuck with my for awhile. So hopefully my plan works and then by the middle of the summer I will be ready for the pool!!

BTW, my stats are

HW-Jan 2015(seminar Jan 8) 265

SW-June 15-240

Today-187

So I have loss and hopefully the personal trainer can help get the last 22 pounds off as my goal weigh is 165.

This sounds like a great plan except for the part about putting off getting into the pool because you are afraid of everyone staring at you.

Believe me, no one will be staring at you. If you think they are it's probably because they don't have on their glasses and can't see (like me).

I've been going to the Y's pool since I weighed over 300 lbs. If you go during the day, it's mostly seniors there. And if you go during "adult lap", or whatever your Y calls it, it's the serious swimmers who just want to get their laps in. Neither groups looks or cares.